Course Notes Steph Butter Academics 9 01-30-2010 05:26 PM

Write out notes or type out notes?

Old 07-29-2008 at 10:32 PM   #46
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitaa View Post
I'm in social science..what type do you suggest for that?
I'm in Social Science (Pol sci) too and I generally use my laptop. Sometimes I take a clip board and paper because it's a pain to lug around a 6lb laptop every day.

Always, always make sure you have a pen and paper just incase something happens though.
Old 07-30-2008 at 10:59 AM   #47
Cubit

Liked: 2 Times

Amen to that. I can't count the number of times I've had my battery go down 10 minutes before class ended , and me with no paper at all.

Number one thing in notes for any subject I think is to keep yourself and your notes organized - Dates, page numbers, page headings, different folders, seperate notebooks, sticky tabs - the whole nine yards, because your notes don't do you any good if you don't know what they are for.

I know that some people find it helpful to keep a seperate column/page in their notes for definitions, names and dates to use as reference when looking at the main body of their notes,

Physics & Astronomy.

------
To Maxwell:" But Sir, what use is it?"
Maxwell: "Madam, what use is a new born babe?"
------
Old 08-21-2008 at 01:54 PM   #48
amplified

Liked: 0 Times

I've been contemplating this for weeks.
In fact, my parents have gotten quite a good laugh from me picking up notebooks to analyze them at stores, then putting them back down with a frown on my face.

It's a difficult decision. I'm a very slow writer, but I can type fairly quick.
However, my problem is that I prefer having a physical paper in front of me to study from. Because I like to scribble over it, highlight and make notes referring to things. (I know, it's a mess. But you gotta do what ya gotta do!)

From reading this whole thread, (Yes, this is how I spend my hours at my workplace this summer!) I'm thinking I might use my laptop, yet have a 5-subject notebook on me at all times + small folders to put things in!

I think I'm at the point where I've drifted to the route of obsessing over small issues, simply to keep occupied.

Do I sound crazy?
Old 08-21-2008 at 02:04 PM   #49
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

no you don't sound crazy not to me at least I am in the exact same position as you..so confused. I just ended up buying a couple of notebooks as well. Just in case me typing on my laptop doesn't work. I also have loose paper as an option too
Old 08-21-2008 at 02:28 PM   #50
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

You could buy binders and after typing your notes, you can print them out and put them in the binder. That way you can highlight and scribble all you want!
Old 08-21-2008 at 02:54 PM   #51
Cubit

Liked: 2 Times

I sound like the tablet PC broken record, but Tablet PC!! you can type out your notes, and then, go back later and handwrite, highlight and annotate your notes digitally with a pen, plus keep note sections, link between pages and note sections - the whole nine yards.

Seriously check out OneNote - It does everything paper notes do, but waaay better, and does everything that you need out of taking your laptop to class.

It's also lighter to carry one laptop and your charger than one laptop and six notebooks. I tend to keep a little bit of paper on hand in case my battery dies out a few minutes early, but the tablets out now (mine is 3 years old) are boasting battery life longer than mine had originally.

Dell has a pretty good sales pitch : http://www.dell.com/content/products...04&l=en&s=hied

Fujitsu, Toshiba, IBM and Gateway make tablets that I know of. Best battery life is a toss up between IBM and Fujitsu. Best processor belongs to Toshiba. Friendliest price goes to the Gateway.

Physics & Astronomy.

------
To Maxwell:" But Sir, what use is it?"
Maxwell: "Madam, what use is a new born babe?"
------

Last edited by Cubit : 08-21-2008 at 03:06 PM.

k.shobi likes this.