MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Engineering usahockey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-05-2011 01:47 PM
Second degree Requirments jayamurali Academics 4 02-27-2011 02:24 PM
first year engineering myInteger Academics 9 06-11-2009 01:23 PM
Should I take Co-op for engineering in my first year kenvin100 Academics 18 08-29-2008 10:22 PM

year 2 engineering requirments

Old 05-03-2012 at 02:01 PM   #1
kennyx

Liked: 0 Times

year 2 engineering requirments
so i have f**ked up big time in the first semester and failed 3 courses, second semester was better but my overall CA is 3.2 atm, with summer school im hoping to bump that up to a 4 or 5. question is that what if all of my choices of second year eng require higher marks? will i be forced to take somthing crappy like eng phy (no offence to eng phys out there), or will i have another choice like re-taking first year?
Old 05-03-2012 at 02:05 PM   #2
Twinkle
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

You do know summer school marks are not used in your first year average calculations, right?
Old 05-03-2012 at 02:06 PM   #3
kennyx

talked with sally and she seemed pretty positive that summer will boost the marks up.....
Old 05-03-2012 at 02:10 PM   #4
Twinkle
Account Locked

so did I, I talked to her like 10 times over the past year. Every time she said "no". It even says on that paper you got on the 2 year program orientation thingy.

I think she meant, that if you complete the courses you failed, you will complete the requirements. But your average will still be calculated based on courses you took during the academic year.
Old 05-03-2012 at 02:11 PM   #5
kennyx

aw..... well.... you guys will come visit me at mcdonalds... i hope
Old 05-03-2012 at 02:13 PM   #6
Twinkle
Account Locked

still talk to her, maybe i missed something... which is unlikely.

one option you can do is to take 1st year again.
Old 05-03-2012 at 02:21 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

The courses that you take during the year account for your choice into second year. Summer school will not count to your choice but will boost your cumulative average and help you get into the requirement of "minimum of 4 to stay in engineering". As for choices, that is true. You will be filtered down the list seeing spots of more popular programs will fill up first and you may end up with offers in smaller programs such as eng. phys or materials. If you wish to try again you could apply for reinstatement and start over with a clean slate or retake every single course and get an averaged mark. An alternative to retaking every single course is to just take the ones you failed and add electives to boost your average
Old 05-03-2012 at 03:37 PM   #8
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

You might find this useful:
http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/eng1/requirements.html

As Leeoku said, you can take summer school to boost your average to a 4 and mover on to second year.

If your GPA is 3 after you finished first year engineering, then you can take summer school courses and try really hard to boost your average to a 4. Note, that when you take summer courses they will consider them as new courses. What i mean is this:
If you took 2 courses in the summer to boost your average, then your total units would be 37+3+3 = 43 units....that's why you have to do really well in the summer courses that you want to take.
If your overall GPA in first year engineering was a 4, then it would be a waste of time (and money) to take summer school courses to push your GPA up, because summer courses can't get you into a high-end program like civil,mechanical or management....unfortu nately that's how things work.

The only thing that you should be focusing on right now, is not worrying about getting into civil or mechanical or management.you should be focusing on how you can pull your overall GPA to a 4 so you can move on to second year engineering.
I am not sure what marks you need this year to get into specific second year engineering programs, but you don't have to do eng physics..you can go into any program that:
1. requires a 4 GPA
2. Is not full
I not sure what these programs are for this year but they might include: eng phys,software, materials,ece...once you finish summer school and your overall GPA is a 4, simply go to sally williams and see what programs you can go into.

You mentioned repeating first year....you can only repeat first year engineering if you apply for reinstatement..they don't accept a lot of people for that, so you have to have a really good reason on why you did bad in first year (like a health condition or something like that).
Good luck !