MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Should newly licensed teen drivers' cars be required to carry warning signs?
Yes 10 24.39%
No 31 75.61%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Young Liberal Policy Discussions! J-Met Politics 10 06-13-2010 08:41 PM

Young Drivers

Old 08-02-2009 at 10:31 AM   #1
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Young Drivers
On CNN.com, there's a poll on right now asking:

Should newly licensed teen drivers' cars be required to carry warning signs?

I think carrying a warning sign won't do much. Some people might drive differently around an identifiable young driver, but not necessarily in a good way.

What do you think?

If you're a new driver, what would you think about being forced to put a warning sign in your back window?

EDIT: Just for your information, the results of the poll on CNN.com right now are approximately 56% YES and 44% NO, with about 50000 votes in favour. I was actually surprised to see this.

Last edited by Taunton : 08-02-2009 at 10:45 AM. Reason: I misquoted the poll question from www.cnn.com
Old 08-02-2009 at 10:50 AM   #2
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

I don't agree with it. A lot of people are nervous about driving at first to begin with, and calling attention to their inexperience is gonna make it more difficult for them. Are old people gonna get warning stickers too? Or how about people with several accidents on their records? Should the world be warned that they are older, or that they have a history of accidents? No. If you have a license, be it G1, G2, or G, you have been deemed fit to drive, and that should be the end of it.

Old 08-02-2009 at 11:25 AM   #3
NickAcc

Liked: 2 Times

I am really against the driving signs for new drivers. After doing the 10 hours of in car lessons for driving school to reduce the 12 month wait to 8 months i really do not believe the new drivers sign would be of any help. In my experiance with driving school, you realize that other people have less patience for you and drive more recklessly around you just because of the sign on top of the car with the driving school name. For an example, I've made left hand turns multiple times with the driving instructor and as you try to move over to the right hand lane, cars will just try to blow by you rather then let you move over. When you come across these situations in day-to-day driving it rarely ever occurs. If a sign alerting other drivers that you are inexperienced makes them more impatient with you and causes them to drive more recklessly is it really a good idea?

Old 08-02-2009 at 01:08 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Lets have a poll for old/elderly drivers aswell then.
Old 08-02-2009 at 01:11 PM   #5
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Lets have a poll for old/elderly drivers aswell then.
I only posted this because I saw it on CNN.com, and I figured that since this is a site full of young people, it would be fair to bring up discussion here.
Old 08-02-2009 at 02:05 PM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Interesting topic Taunton!

I think the sign, as others have mentioned, will be mocked at and likely cause more grief for the new driver than if they didn't have the sign.
Old 08-02-2009 at 03:21 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I only posted this because I saw it on CNN.com, and I figured that since this is a site full of young people, it would be fair to bring up discussion here.
I was referring to CNN, not you Haha sorry if you took it that way, didnt mean it like that.
Old 08-02-2009 at 05:02 PM   #8
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

I watch Top Gear (British car show) and from that I learned that this system is already in place in the UK. Comes in the form of a giant "L" to signify learners permit. I really don't see how it would help though. Knowing that there is a new driver in front of me wouldn't change the way I drive at all.
Old 08-02-2009 at 08:21 PM   #9
mac-gal

Liked: 6 Times

Yeah, I agree.
However, for some people it may make a difference. I know when I was learning to drive I would drive a little slower (but not THAT much slower) on the main roads as I got used to them and the traffic, and people would often tailgate me or pass me. For those people, knowing the person in front of them is learning, it might make a difference in their driving behaviour.
Old 08-02-2009 at 09:18 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAcc View Post
For an example, I've made left hand turns multiple times with the driving instructor and as you try to move over to the right hand lane, cars will just try to blow by you rather then let you move over. When you come across these situations in day-to-day driving it rarely ever occurs.
That's never happened to me before. When I signal to the right, I can see the driver signal to the left. Not like it matters, I accelerate like a normal person and they don't often pass me.
Old 08-02-2009 at 10:34 PM   #11
NickAcc

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That's never happened to me before. When I signal to the right, I can see the driver signal to the left. Not like it matters, I accelerate like a normal person and they don't often pass me.
haha well they didn't even go into the left lane behind me they just make a left hand turn into the right hand lane and go by. It's only happened to me in driving lessons though, never in my car. It just seems when you are driving a car saying you are a new driver it just makes people less patient with you. Although this my experiences could all be coincidences and different for other people. There are so many factors contributing to other drivers decisions as well like what time you are driving at, are you driving on a major road and are they running late etc. i guess it all situational?

Old 08-03-2009 at 12:05 AM   #12
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

I think the assumption when you've passed your driving test is that you are fully capable of driving like a "normal" person (haha I love how being a new driver makes you abnormal). Having the sign will only hinder your progress and how quick you learn to really drive (as opposed to just learning basic rules, etc.). If you don't have it, you're treated to the same situations and rules as anybody else.

And besides, I figure new young drivers are, for the most part, some of the most careful and thoughtful drivers on the road (before the road rage and disdain for other drivers kick in).
Old 08-03-2009 at 12:58 AM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I personally think the driving test is too easy to pass. Honestly, you only need 70% to pass the test. I made a couple mistakes, like 8 of them and I still got high 80s on the test. It's no wonder we have so many bad drivers.
Old 08-03-2009 at 01:41 AM   #14
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I don't possibly understand how putting a sign stating that this driver is inexperienced (not bad, per se) could possibly be beneficial to anyone.

1) I think it would only stress the driver out way more than they already might be.
2) I think that if drivers knew that another driver was less experienced on the road, they would assume it was WAY easier to "intimidate them" and I think they'd take advantage of that. For example... if a new driver accidentally cut someone off, the other driver would probably be annoyed to begin with. But knowing that the person who cut them off is inexperienced, I think that they would be more likely to start honking on the horn, mouthing off, flipping them off, or tailgate them. Sort of as a "start paying better attention, you idiot" (with a couple more swears in there, of course).

It's like when I first learned how to drive stick. I was already nervous enough about stalling my car in an intersection or while trying to make a left turn across 3 lanes of traffic. If I had a sign on my car saying, "Attention! I'm driving a manual car for the first time!" I would think that people are MORE likely to scrutinize my every move because they are EXPECTING me to make a mistake. And then there's the whole psychological aspect of it, ie, "people must think I'm an idiot, they're probably noticing all the mistakes I'm making," etc.

It would just stress everyone out way more.

Also, a warning sign seems a little extreme to me. Lmao. Jesus.

(start rant) Edit: Also, I'm getting so sick of this stigma that it's "teen" drivers that are bad. We are NEW drivers. I don't see the difference between someone being 18 and getting their license for the first time and a 28 year old getting their license for the first time. I know I can't argue the statistics, but it's so fustrating (for lack of a better word). I deemed myself a pretty good driver at 16. Maybe because I have a brain and dying just didn't appeal to me. Gah. Makes me rage. (end rant)

Last edited by lawleypop : 08-03-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-03-2009 at 03:15 AM   #15
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

It's like when I first learned how to drive stick. I was already nervous enough about stalling my car in an intersection or while trying to make a left turn across 3 lanes of traffic. If I had a sign on my car saying, "Attention! I'm driving a manual car for the first time!" I would think that people are MORE likely to scrutinize my every move because they are EXPECTING me to make a mistake. And then there's the whole psychological aspect of it, ie, "people must think I'm an idiot, they're probably noticing all the mistakes I'm making," etc.

(start rant) Edit: Also, I'm getting so sick of this stigma that it's "teen" drivers that are bad. We are NEW drivers. I don't see the difference between someone being 18 and getting their license for the first time and a 28 year old getting their license for the first time. I know I can't argue the statistics, but it's so fustrating (for lack of a better word). I deemed myself a pretty good driver at 16. Maybe because I have a brain and dying just didn't appeal to me. Gah. Makes me rage. (end rant)
I completely agree with you. Especially if you got into an accident, you would totally take the blame simply because they know you're a beginner. It's already bad enough that you get prejudice against you simply because you're a young driver.

It also doesn't make sense how many changes they've made to the G2 rules. Reducing our options of driving aren't going to make us better drivers or keep the roads more safe. If anything people need more experience driving to get better.