Young Drivers Taunton General Discussion 28 08-06-2009 01:18 PM
Liberal Arts Grant lorend Misc 0 11-06-2007 10:11 AM

Young Liberal Policy Discussions!

Old 06-10-2010 at 06:11 PM   #1
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Young Liberal Policy Discussions!
Hey Macinsiders. Are you interested in policy making? Want your ideas to potentially reach the Provincial and Federal level?

The McMaster Young Liberals are hosting the South Central Young Liberal Regional Policy Parliament, this Saturday June 12th, from 1pm to 5pm, in MUSC 220.

Though the Policy Parliament is open to Young Liberals only (if you want to become a member please contact me), we are open to ideas from a wide variety of political backgrounds! For this reason, we have decided to host our first ever online policy conference TONIGHT at 8pm. Again, contributors of all political affiliations are welcome, so if you are passionate about an issue and want to propose an idea, please join us and make your voice heard!

All the details are here: http://macyl.ca/?p=92
Old 06-10-2010 at 07:40 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Interesting, they're talking about decrminalizing pot and other fun stuff

Last edited by rcrw88 : 06-10-2010 at 08:25 PM.

J-Met likes this.
Old 06-11-2010 at 01:26 AM   #3
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post

Quote:
"If I had to tell you as a parent or as someone who has spent his whole life working with young people, the last darn thing I want you to be doing is smoking marijuana," Ignatieff said at a town hall-style meeting on Monday, according to The Telegram. "I want you to be out there digging a well, digging a ditch, getting a job, raising a family ... doing stuff, instead of parking your life on the end of a marijuana cigarette."
after the leader said this i can't imagine there would even be such a thing as a young liberal.
yah vote liberal if you want some lame Dad in power lol
Old 06-11-2010 at 01:43 AM   #4
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

I suppose it would have simply given credence to those nasty merger rumours if we New Democrats would have meddled in your policy discussions. I hope everything went well for you guys, and its an interesting format you chose.

Quote:
yah vote liberal if you want some lame Dad in power lol
Can I convince you that Jack is like that cool uncle that would totally be okay with you smoking up, so long as he could too?
Old 06-11-2010 at 01:58 AM   #5
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
Can I convince you that Jack is like that cool uncle that would totally be okay with you smoking up, so long as he could too?
You could not convince me that Jack is a cool anything.
Old 06-11-2010 at 02:37 PM   #6
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Didn't the NDP recently (well, in 2009) renounce their pro-legalization stance?

Pity that Ignatieff would say that without mentioning commonly-used (and abused) drugs like alcohol and tobacco, though. Vote-bank politics trumps neuropharmacological research once again...

Old 06-11-2010 at 03:14 PM   #7
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Didn't the NDP recently (well, in 2009) renounce their pro-legalization stance?
In 2009, Libby Davis (deputy leader) rose in the house to fight mandatory minimum sentencing and support moving forward with decriminalization...t he text of her speech is here - http://tiny.cc/457mt

Mahratta says thanks to c.erl for this post.
Old 06-11-2010 at 03:51 PM   #8
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
"If I had to tell you as a parent or as someone who has spent his whole life working with young people, the last darn thing I want you to be doing is smoking marijuana," Ignatieff said at a town hall-style meeting on Monday, according to The Telegram. "I want you to be out there digging a well, digging a ditch, getting a job, raising a family ... doing stuff, instead of parking your life on the end of a marijuana cigarette."
It might be a dad thing to say, but I happen to agree with it. Marijuana, and yes, Alcohol and Tobacco, are detrimental to society and their use should be discouraged. I do, however, disagree with Iggy in that he doesn't want it legalized. Its used so often now and people are so rarely caught smoking it that it might as well be legal so the government, instead of drug dealers, can make some money off it.

@C.erl...yes, nasty rumours indeed. Lets hope it doesn't go beyond the rumour stage. I'd like to think that the ideological differences between the Liberals and the NDP are too vast just to squish them into one party. And thanks for you support, you would have been welcome!

@Ryan thanks for stopping in and seeing what we were up too. Unfortunately you were the only one there that wasn't already involved with the Young Liberals, but hopefully its a step towards getting more new people interested in the Club!
Old 06-12-2010 at 03:48 PM   #9
drew4008

Liked: 13 Times

Get your spam outta here you commie.
Old 06-13-2010 at 08:18 PM   #10
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:

i've never met him, but I can sort of see that. i guess it is better than a ****ing straitlaced yankee dad, but still... idk
Old 06-13-2010 at 08:41 PM   #11
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post

It's the only way they still keep some people interested in what they have to say.