MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Advise? kanvi_v30 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-30-2011 12:27 PM
in serious need of advise/help Mint3 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 01-04-2011 05:35 PM

Your advise on increasing GPA

Old 09-14-2011 at 06:12 PM   #1
ymichael

Liked: 0 Times

Your advise on increasing GPA
As a 3rd year life science student with a low GPA and who has thus far failed three courses, this semester I decided to take four first level courses with hope that I can increase my GPA and compensate for my failures. The problem is that the courses I'm taking are not counting towards my degree requirements.

What coarse of action would you take if you had a low GPA? Is what I'm doing suitable for the circumstance at hand, or is it absurd to waste a semester on non-required courses?

Any feedback would be much appreciated
Old 09-14-2011 at 06:37 PM   #2
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

not tryna b a btch but the only advice i could give u is try harder...
Old 09-14-2011 at 06:49 PM   #3
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Instead of that, why not just make the last 2 years into 3 years, spread your courses, and work harder on the ones you have?
Old 09-14-2011 at 06:49 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
not tryna b a btch but the only advice i could give u is try harder...
Also use all the resources given to you. Profs, TAs, other students, CSD, academic counselling, textbooks, the internet.

If you're already trying your hardest and are not succeeding then you should reconsider your university career. Perhaps you are more well suited in another area of study or maybe you are more well suited in trades.
Old 09-14-2011 at 07:04 PM   #5
ymichael

Would it be suitable to take easy first years courses for the sole purpose of increasing one's GPA. Yes or No? if no, then why not?
Old 09-14-2011 at 09:13 PM   #6
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

Well I think a lot of the time first year courses might not be easier, for instance if you have a lot of biology courses, maybe a 4th or 3rd year bio would be easier for you then first year english or physics which you have less experience in (hypothetically).
Old 09-14-2011 at 09:17 PM   #7
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Transfer, without a solid GPA your Science degree will be worthless. Take a wide array of courses this year and find out what subjects you have a true passion for.

Desda likes this.
Old 09-14-2011 at 09:26 PM   #8
traveler10

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymichael View Post
As a 3rd year life science student with a low GPA and who has thus far failed three courses, this semester I decided to take four first level courses with hope that I can increase my GPA and compensate for my failures. The problem is that the courses I'm taking are not counting towards my degree requirements.

What coarse of action would you take if you had a low GPA? Is what I'm doing suitable for the circumstance at hand, or is it absurd to waste a semester on non-required courses?

Any feedback would be much appreciated
man i am so glad i am not alone. i am in the same boat. 3rd year student with low gpa looking to go to professional school later but unsure of the future. well, the thing with me is that my gpa is low because i was a complete, lazy ass hobo in my 2nd year and ruined my CA with that attitude.

what im doing this year, is taking a majority of easier courses in my own faculty in first term to sort of develop a work ethic and get a boost, and then attempt some of my required courses later in 2nd term But stil keep a manageable workload.

i also recommend meeting with academic advisors in the associate dean's office and the ppl at CSD for tips and their take on your situation. Those guys are pretty decent. And sometimes u need an outside perspective on your own situation to get a better idea of what ur next move shud be like.

does that help?

ymichael says thanks to traveler10 for this post.

ymichael likes this.
Old 09-14-2011 at 09:27 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymichael View Post
Would it be suitable to take easy first years courses for the sole purpose of increasing one's GPA. Yes or No? if no, then why not?
No. If you take random courses that won't help you with upper-year science courses, you might get a short-term gain in GPA (if you do well in those courses), but you'll have learned very little that will help you to do well in your upper-year science courses.

If you take courses you're interested in to explore the possibility of switching majors, that is different. If you're doing it solely to increase your GPA, I don't think it will work.

traveler10, ymichael all say thanks to nerual for this post.

traveler10 likes this.
Old 09-14-2011 at 09:30 PM   #10
traveler10

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
No. If you take random courses that won't help you with upper-year science courses, you might get a short-term gain in GPA (if you do well in those courses), but you'll have learned very little that will help you to do well in your upper-year science courses.

If you take courses you're interested in to explore the possibility of switching majors, that is different. If you're doing it solely to increase your GPA, I don't think it will work.
oh i so agree with this. shudve said it too.
Old 09-15-2011 at 10:46 AM   #11
ymichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler10 View Post
man i am so glad i am not alone. i am in the same boat. 3rd year student with low gpa looking to go to professional school later but unsure of the future. well, the thing with me is that my gpa is low because i was a complete, lazy ass hobo in my 2nd year and ruined my CA with that attitude.

what im doing this year, is taking a majority of easier courses in my own faculty in first term to sort of develop a work ethic and get a boost, and then attempt some of my required courses later in 2nd term But stil keep a manageable workload.

i also recommend meeting with academic advisors in the associate dean's office and the ppl at CSD for tips and their take on your situation. Those guys are pretty decent. And sometimes u need an outside perspective on your own situation to get a better idea of what ur next move shud be like.

does that help?
Thanks alot Tim! My strategy is the same as yours; easier courses in first term to get a boost, and then back to reality in 2nd term with required courses. Looks like we really are in the same boat!

Hope it all works out smoothly for you!
Old 09-15-2011 at 11:05 AM   #12
IcexFire

Liked: 6 Times

If you are looking to go to grad school, most schools will only look at your last two years of university. This gives you an important opportunity this year and the next to keep a higher GPA. Your cumulative GPA doesn`t always matter as much as your performance in your senior years.
Should you take a bunch of easy classes to increase your GPA? My personal opinion is no. Most professional and graduate schools will see right through that. Focus on doing well NOW. There's still time to redeem yourself, you're only in 3rd year. If you are not looking to do graduate work or professional school I ask why even bother keeping a high GPA? Employers don't care as much as we are lead to believe.

Last edited by IcexFire : 09-15-2011 at 11:09 AM.

ymichael says thanks to IcexFire for this post.

ymichael likes this.