MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Third year class taught by a PhD student ? Kathy2 Academics 8 09-09-2010 08:09 PM
2nd year class sizes? Cassandraa87 Academics 1 06-09-2010 10:18 PM
course selection recommandation (3rd year econ class) chinadian Academics 1 06-04-2010 01:27 PM
CollegePro in second year commerce class yesterday Kathy2 General Discussion 30 01-11-2010 04:14 PM

1st Year Law Class?

Old 06-12-2009 at 06:09 PM   #1
KafiaJM

Liked: 0 Times

1st Year Law Class?
Hey I'm attending Mac next fall and I ADORED my Gr. 12 Law class and I'm looking for a first year class I can take that is in the same vein.

I've been looking around but I haven't found anything close to what I'm looking for...Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-12-2009 at 07:01 PM   #2
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

PHILOS 2B03 Philosophy of Law and Society is the closest to what you're looking for. I loved this class when I took it.

Obviously it is more concerned with the philosophy of law and it focuses on legal and moral issues in society. You won't find a class at Mac that actually studies law until your upper years.
Old 06-12-2009 at 07:10 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I think that's actually PHILOS 1B03. 2B03 is called something like Introductory Logic.
Old 06-12-2009 at 07:11 PM   #4
Student Senator '08-'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I think that's actually PHILOS 1B03. 2B03 is called something like Introductory Logic.
Oops sorry that's what I meant And yeah, 2B03 is Logic (aka death)
Old 06-12-2009 at 07:35 PM   #5
KafiaJM

Thanks guys, I'll definately look into the Philosophy Course.

Just wondering,
What do you think of Poli Sci (if you've taken it)? Or what's its reputation (if you havn't)?
Old 06-12-2009 at 08:38 PM   #6
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

To be honest, if you're really intent on going to law I think you may heading to the wrong school. Poli sci is pretty much the closest you'll get but we do have some awesome philosophy courses. However, I agree with Callen (logic is evil and you should never take it. You may think you're logical but you may learn otherwise). Philosophy wise I would recommend 1B03, 2G03, 3Q03, and we have a new 4th year class known as Constitutional Law which I'm personally super pumped about! Usually if you're interested in Law poli sci and philosophy are the way to go. I personally prefer Philosophy but I'm pretty biased, haha! We have some pretty kick-ass professors in our department
Old 06-12-2009 at 09:03 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You do NOT need a Criminology background to go into law. There are MANY kinds of law (corporate, environmental, Indigenous to name three) and they don't require any pre-law classes. I know three people who are in law school that took zero criminology courses.

If you're interested in maybe going to law school, read this article: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2025 8. It is about how to get to law school with a degree from Mac.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-12-2009 at 10:15 PM   #8
Student Senator '08-'10

She hasn't mentioned going into law so lets all chill about what you need to get in.

I'm going into my third year of poli sci and I like it. The first year class is very basic and dry but if you check out the upper year courses available they are pretty interesting. Mac offers poli sci courses in all the different specializations (international relations, international political economic, political theory, canadian politics, etc) so once you get through first year you can start exploring your interests in the different fields.

What I did like about first year political science were the profs. I had Nyers and Alway for 1G06 and I really liked them both which made the material more bearable. If you're interesting in going into poli sci I would recommend taking the two intro econ classes along with labour studies to help form a basis for what you'll study in upper years.

I find the political science department to be pretty strong at Mac. Many of the profs are world renowed researchers who edit journals, are research chairs, and are involved in many different types of advocacy. The ones I've had experience with have been really dedicated to teaching as well and have been eager to share their knowledge if you show interest.

Don't get too concerned with reputation. Since Mac tends to be a science focused school you'll hear some snarky comments about poli sci and the arts in general. Honestly though, its an undergraduate degree in social sciences, reputation does not matter at all.

Let me know if you have any other questions
Old 06-12-2009 at 11:02 PM   #9
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
You do NOT need a Criminology background to go into law. There are MANY kinds of law (corporate, environmental, Indigenous to name three) and they don't require any pre-law classes. I know three people who are in law school that took zero criminology courses.

If you're interested in maybe going to law school, read this article: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2025 8. It is about how to get to law school with a degree from Mac.
Is there anyhing you dont know? Thanks Lorend
Old 06-12-2009 at 11:05 PM   #10
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by callender View Post
She hasn't mentioned going into law so lets all chill about what you need to get in.

I'm going into my third year of poli sci and I like it. The first year class is very basic and dry but if you check out the upper year courses available they are pretty interesting. Mac offers poli sci courses in all the different specializations (international relations, international political economic, political theory, canadian politics, etc) so once you get through first year you can start exploring your interests in the different fields.

What I did like about first year political science were the profs. I had Nyers and Alway for 1G06 and I really liked them both which made the material more bearable. If you're interesting in going into poli sci I would recommend taking the two intro econ classes along with labour studies to help form a basis for what you'll study in upper years.

I find the political science department to be pretty strong at Mac. Many of the profs are world renowed researchers who edit journals, are research chairs, and are involved in many different types of advocacy. The ones I've had experience with have been really dedicated to teaching as well and have been eager to share their knowledge if you show interest.

Don't get too concerned with reputation. Since Mac tends to be a science focused school you'll hear some snarky comments about poli sci and the arts in general. Honestly though, its an undergraduate degree in social sciences, reputation does not matter at all.

Let me know if you have any other questions
Great tip!

I'm in poli sci as well (3rd year). What stream are you into?
Old 06-14-2009 at 12:56 PM   #11
KafiaJM

Wow! I really wasn't expecting this much of a response, thanks for all the info

I'm going into first year Commerce in the fall and I'm debating law-school. It really depends on how much I enjoy post-secondary education in general, since it's a much more substantial investment time and money wise.

But I love law as a subject and I'm definately going to take both Poli Sci and Phylo classes for my electives. Thanks for helping me figure out which ones to take, I was so confused before

As far as reputation, I wasn't so much concerned with what criticism people had for the non-healthscience courses, but the actual courses rep as far as how hard it was, how the teachers are, etc.

With that said, any teachers I should avoid?
Old 06-14-2009 at 01:55 PM   #12
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

When it comes to poli sci, the selection for first year profs is minimal...I had Dr. Leone last year, and he was alright. The classes were cut and dry and really disorganized (almost no TA/Prof interaction) and there was a lot of reading from slides and the text. Some people really like that style, I personally don't.

It really depends on your learning style and which prof caters to it.
Old 06-14-2009 at 02:58 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
Is there anyhing you dont know? Thanks Lorend
Yes:
  • higher-level math
  • higher-level chem
  • higher-level physics
  • anything that sort of cross-lists those kinds of classes: biochem, astrophys etc

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement