MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CollegePro STILL speaking at beginning of lectures Kathy2 Academics 12 10-12-2010 11:19 PM
who went to math 1za3 yesterday ? theBomb Academics 5 09-11-2010 12:59 PM
2nd year class sizes? Cassandraa87 Academics 1 06-09-2010 10:18 PM
1st Year Law Class? KafiaJM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 06-14-2009 02:58 PM

CollegePro in second year commerce class yesterday

Old 01-09-2010 at 05:53 PM   #16
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

snider, that opinion doesn't make any sense at all.

huzaifa47 likes this.
Old 01-09-2010 at 06:13 PM   #17
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
snider, that opinion doesn't make any sense at all.
What I'm saying is that if someone getting bitten in the ass by a relatively harmless scam like CollegePro, they might actually wake up and start paying attention, so that later they won't give their credit cards or other identifying information to other scammers.
Old 01-09-2010 at 06:21 PM   #18
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
and do they wait at the back for the clipboard?
not always.

once I was in class and it got passed to me. I just gave it to the person next to me.
Then a couple of minutes later the guy behind me passed it to me. wtf I thought.

I pass it to the person next to me again, can't the retards at the back just keep it there for the guy to pick up at the end of class? don't they realize it gets passed from the front of the class to the back, why ever pass it forward to people who've already looked at it? Yes, I'm mad.

Then a minute later it came back to me again, I was like FFFFFFFFFFFF- and I just dropped it in the middle of the aisle (since I was sitting in an aisle seat).

cool story right?

after that day I started to only pass it once and then refuse when people try to pass it to me again.
Old 01-09-2010 at 06:38 PM   #19
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
I think it's really important that we not "protect" first year students by keeping organizations like CollegePro out. I know they seem shady, but everyone needs to learn sooner or later how to identify things that are too good to be true, or could otherwise be potential scams. I sat in a 4th year Business Policy class, and listened to a girl talk about how a "bank representative" called her recently and needed her credit card number for security reasons. She would have given it to them if her dad hadn't been around to hear her and tell her to shut up.

If people are brave/dumb enough to go with CollegePro, and end up getting bitten in the ass (I'm sure not everyone does), maybe it will be a wake-up call to start thinking critically about things being offered to them.

Also, I know this Crown Prince of Nigeria who's looking for help getting some money out of his country. He needs $500, and then can send you $8.4 Million. Someone should help him! I would, but I'm not a tool...
I understand where you are coming from but it is a rather cynical/Darwinian thing to say. There are people from all sorts of backgrounds that come to Mac; people from rural areas and people from Big Cities like Toronto & even international students. Being "dumb/naturally naive" is just one of the many reasons people might get swayed by the earn $20k in a summer tagline its not the ONLY reason like you are suggesting.

Plus the MSU as an organization is supposed to look out for the "Best" interests of students, its in our founding constitution. We can't make such excuses!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 01-09-2010 at 06:42 PM   #20
sniderj
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I understand where you are coming from but it is a rather cynical/Darwinian thing to say. There are people from all sorts of backgrounds that come to Mac; people from rural areas and people from Big Cities like Toronto & even international students. Being "dumb/naturally naive" is just one of the many reasons people might get swayed by the earn $20k in a summer tagline its not the ONLY reason like you are suggesting.

Plus the MSU as an organization is supposed to look out for the "Best" interests of students, its in our founding constitution. We can't make such excuses!
I hadn't thought about the multiple background issue. Great point.

huzaifa47 says thanks to sniderj for this post.
Old 01-09-2010 at 06:56 PM   #21
sniderj
Elite Member

If the MSU cannot prevent CollegePro from giving class presentations (and as you've read above, I don't believe it's wise/possible to protect people from every threat out there), maybe a better approach would be an awareness campaign promoting critical thinking about all variety of offers (including those of employment, and those soliciting personal information), so that people will be better equipped to make their own decisions.
Old 01-09-2010 at 08:06 PM   #22
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Ya, it's true. Although it wasn't collegepro, it was uh.. university painters? Whatever the name is.

In Econ, it was some old dude who did the presentation, and in Man. Acct it was a young dude (I think it was actually in 2nd year commerce, unless he just had a really similar face)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-09-2010 at 08:09 PM   #23
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Ya, it's true. Although it wasn't collegepro, it was uh.. university painters? Whatever the name is.

In Econ, it was some old dude who did the presentation, and in Man. Acct it was a young dude (I think it was actually in 2nd year commerce, unless he just had a really similar face)
There are a couple of companies out there. There is MDP(Which was formerly called painters something until apparently they got to bad a rep so they changed their name), then there is college pro painters and then action window cleaners. Heck even bloody Vector Marketing made an appearance last term under another name(Where there was a big red DO YOU WANT TO MAKE $15.5 AN HOUR! And a tinyyyy Vector Marketing at the bottom in their pamphlets).

Old 01-09-2010 at 09:07 PM   #24
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Thanks for your help Huzaifa. I just wasn't sure what was eventually done after that long discussion.

Are we allowed to write "SCAM! GOOGLE 'COLLEGEPRO SCAM' TO SEE FOR YOURSELF" on the clipboards?
I've seen posters for Vector Marketing around the school and people have written SCAM on them as well.
Old 01-09-2010 at 09:21 PM   #25
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Are we allowed to write "SCAM! GOOGLE 'COLLEGEPRO SCAM' TO SEE FOR YOURSELF" on the clipboards?
I've seen posters for Vector Marketing around the school and people have written SCAM on them as well.

ABSOLUTELY! They aren't in your classrooms under any official permissions or titles so do whatever you want with it!

Even with the Vector & SpringMasters posters, they aren't approved by the MSU hence are illegal under MUSC Bylaws. Hence you can tear them out and you won't be vandalizing under MUSC laws; I think the MSU Service poster Monkeys do take them down once a week as well.

In other news:

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 01-09-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Old 01-09-2010 at 09:25 PM   #26
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

cool, will be ripping down posters

also mechanical pencil BB thing for the presentations: http://www.instructables.com /id/Me...al-Pencil-Gun/

Last edited by andrew22 : 01-09-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Puppies45 likes this.
Old 01-09-2010 at 10:43 PM   #27
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I'd really like to end up in the front row of those lecture halls so I can be the first one with the clipboard, stand up, and rip the sign up sheet into tiny bits while they're still talking.

Bastards.

Old 01-10-2010 at 12:03 AM   #28
RSmith20

Liked: 0 Times

Ok so my friend referred me to this forum. I used to work for College Pro and Ive read through the entire conversation that was previously mentioned as well as this and Ive come to some conclusions about what we can do about these companies.

1. This has been said over and over: we should stop all corporations from invading our class time. It's just plain annoying to be forced to listen to a commercial on time that you've paid for. Shouldn't it only be a few phone calls and emails to professors to tell them not to allow this? This doesn't seem too hard *cough cough msu.* This is the easiest problem to solve surrounding this college pro-esque company problem and the only one the executiveboard has taken a remote interest in. Why hasn't anything happened? This is sad.

2. Many concerns were brought up about the financial and overall safety of students interacting with these companies and I have some that I could add. The MSU, which is supposed to serve in the best interest of students, has not even bothered to discuss this. Students have contacted the company and provided concrete concerns surrounding this issue and yet no discussion has been had as to what should be done.

3. As it seems we cannot rely on some of our paid representatives to take an eager interest in student welfare, we can at least do some sort of awareness thing about this issue ourselves. Shall we write up something? Huzaifa, would you be down for that? :p

Last edited by RSmith20 : 01-10-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-10-2010 at 05:33 PM   #29
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Went to 2 sessions before i determined it was bullshit or not for me.. good thing i considered myself lazy otherwise i might have actually continued with it...

I'll be sure to vandalize the next signup sheet i see though.
Old 01-11-2010 at 04:03 PM   #30
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Thanks for your help Huzaifa. I just wasn't sure what was eventually done after that long discussion.

If we could get enough people doing this, it would probably be more effective than getting the MSU to ban them. It would be faster, and it also lets them know its a scam rather than just keeping the people from talking to them in class (so if they're approached somewhere else, they have the knowledge its a scam).

I highly encourage everyone to do this, I myself will be doing it. (Although I haven't seen the reps in a class since first year).