MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CollegePro STILL speaking at beginning of lectures Kathy2 Academics 12 10-12-2010 11:19 PM
who went to math 1za3 yesterday ? theBomb Academics 5 09-11-2010 12:59 PM
2nd year class sizes? Cassandraa87 Academics 1 06-09-2010 10:18 PM
1st Year Law Class? KafiaJM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 06-14-2009 02:58 PM

CollegePro in second year commerce class yesterday

Old 01-11-2010 at 04:14 PM   #31
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSmith20 View Post
Ok so my friend referred me to this forum. I used to work for College Pro and Ive read through the entire conversation that was previously mentioned as well as this and Ive come to some conclusions about what we can do about these companies.

1. This has been said over and over: we should stop all corporations from invading our class time. It's just plain annoying to be forced to listen to a commercial on time that you've paid for. Shouldn't it only be a few phone calls and emails to professors to tell them not to allow this? This doesn't seem too hard *cough cough msu.* This is the easiest problem to solve surrounding this college pro-esque company problem and the only one the executiveboard has taken a remote interest in. Why hasn't anything happened? This is sad.

2. Many concerns were brought up about the financial and overall safety of students interacting with these companies and I have some that I could add. The MSU, which is supposed to serve in the best interest of students, has not even bothered to discuss this. Students have contacted the company and provided concrete concerns surrounding this issue and yet no discussion has been had as to what should be done.

3. As it seems we cannot rely on some of our paid representatives to take an eager interest in student welfare, we can at least do some sort of awareness thing about this issue ourselves. Shall we write up something? Huzaifa, would you be down for that? :p
If you want to get the SRA involved in something, you are best off to GO to them. Although several members check the MI boards (Taunton, Bauman, Huzaifa, Richardson, McIntyre, Wade, Finkle, Park, Wright, Boccaicio (sp); others I am sure I haven't seen online the past couple of days), there is a good possibility that they miss your messages.

Just something everyone to think about. Just because you are voicing your opinions, doesn't mean the SRA is aware...and I'm sure they'd also talk to constituents (regardless of faculty) in person, and get the ideas flowing. Yes, it is their job to advocate for students, but they sometimes need help in getting ideas flowing...and, well they're human too.

You could always PM them, if you're that opposed to seeing them in person...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 01-11-2010 at 04:16 PM.

huzaifa47 says thanks to lorend for this post.