MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to be productive on the breaks you have between classes cjordan The Secret Files 39 10-06-2010 05:52 PM
last minute help !!!! ruby101 Academics 9 09-11-2010 07:53 AM
Questions about breaks at work TMBGiants Volunteering Opportunities 9 06-09-2010 05:35 PM
Breaks & Holidays? Logic General Discussion 8 09-08-2008 05:51 AM
Are you allowed to leave campus during your breaks? Arnold General Discussion 2 09-04-2008 12:21 AM

10 Minute Breaks?

Old 07-30-2011 at 12:09 PM   #1
aleshia.
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

10 Minute Breaks?
At Summer Orientation, all of the speakers clearly underlined to get to your classes early. However, because I'm in sciences, my timetable is pretty packed (and I know everyone else in sciences has this too), and I only have 10 minute breaks between a lot of my classes. Is it that difficult to move from class to class and get there on time?
Old 07-30-2011 at 12:12 PM   #2
deaner_123

Liked: 3 Times

Nope! It's usually no problem to get in between classes with just a 10 minute break. I've found that I can walk between most places on campus, and sometimes even have time to grab a tea or snack in that time period as well.

Unless you are walking legitimately from one side of campus to another, you should be ok!

s.ma likes this.
Old 07-30-2011 at 12:12 PM   #3
TedMosby

Liked: 34 Times

It's really easy to get to class on time. Getting there early might not be possible sometimes, but it's only really important for the extremely popular first year classes to be able to get a great seat. You should always be able to get to class on time though.
Old 07-30-2011 at 12:14 PM   #4
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

its more than enough. you might not get good seats but you'll get seats for sure.

only time you might have to sprint is if you have a class in ITB and have to get to TSH, CNH or KTH and vice versa.
Old 07-30-2011 at 12:29 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I never had any trouble with any first-year classes. It's very doable to go from BSB to ABB/MDCL/PC/JHE, or BSB to KTH/TSH/CNH (arts quad) where a lot of first year Life Sci classes usually are. The only problem might be going from the arts quad to ABB, but that's do-able as long as you walk fast! Unless you're not going from the arts quad to ITB or something, it's definitely doable in under 10 minutes.
Old 07-30-2011 at 12:31 PM   #6
alexboho

Liked: 1 Time

10 minutes is more than enough dont worry
Old 07-30-2011 at 12:32 PM   #7
aleshia.
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks everyone! All of you are quite reassuring! I was thinking too that many people will be in the same situation as me, so I know I'm not the only one.
Old 07-30-2011 at 01:13 PM   #8
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I was usually 1 or 2 minutes late for lecture when I had to go from the health science center to the basement of TSH, but it's usually fine! I always got a seat. I think my biggest worry about that 10 minute break was getting lost in first year lol, but you get used to it. I really recommend finding all your classes ahead of time and walking from each building in order before the semester starts so you have an idea of your time restraints.

MirandaC says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.
Old 07-30-2011 at 01:20 PM   #9
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I never had any trouble with any first-year classes. It's very doable to go from BSB to ABB/MDCL/PC/JHE, or BSB to KTH/TSH/CNH (arts quad) where a lot of first year Life Sci classes usually are. The only problem might be going from the arts quad to ABB, but that's do-able as long as you walk fast! Unless you're not going from the arts quad to ITB or something, it's definitely doable in under 10 minutes.
A little off-topic, but:
Good god that's a lot of acronyms! LOL. How long does it take to generally pick all that stuff up? By the end of first year?

Old 07-30-2011 at 01:23 PM   #10
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
A little off-topic, but:
Good god that's a lot of acronyms! LOL. How long does it take to generally pick all that stuff up? By the end of first year?
Haha yea it might seem a little intimidating at first, but you'll pick it up by the end of your first week of class. Once you go to your classes regularly, you'll have no problem
Old 07-30-2011 at 01:32 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Also, if you are going towards or leaving the Arts Quad, do so from their respective doors (or the closest exits/entrances). The hallways get really packed and you'll want to avoid the student centre.
Old 07-30-2011 at 01:51 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
A little off-topic, but:
Haha, it took me like a semester, maybe all of first year? If anything, exploring really helps orient you around campus. I recommend checking out your classrooms at least the day before classes start. It'll give you an idea how much time you need, and you can figure out short-cuts and whatnot.
Old 07-30-2011 at 01:57 PM   #13
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
A little off-topic, but:
Just an FYI to first years all libraries have this little booklet you can put in your wallet that has a mini map of the campus on it with all building names and their acronyms! You can find it at the front desk usually. I keep extras in my wallet first few weeks cause I get so many first years asking where x place is and I just give em one of the booklets =P.

Old 07-30-2011 at 02:03 PM   #14
vinny06

Liked: 3 Times

To add on to the comment about the mini maps, there's also an app you can download for your iPhone, iPad, and iPod. Even if most people dont have an iPhone, I'm sure most people do have an iPod Touch and all you have to do is download the app "MacMap". The app allows you to find buildings using the entire name of a building (Whidden Hall), or just the abbreviation of a building (BSB). Also, you can get directions from one building to another which makes finding shortcuts very easy! Very useful app!

AnguishedEnd likes this.
Old 07-30-2011 at 02:03 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
Just an FYI to first years all libraries have this little booklet you can put in your wallet that has a mini map of the campus on it with all building names and their acronyms! You can find it at the front desk usually. I keep extras in my wallet first few weeks cause I get so many first years asking where x place is and I just give em one of the booklets =P.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about those! Definitely keep one with you, it helped out a lot in the first week of school!