MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to be productive on the breaks you have between classes cjordan The Secret Files 39 10-06-2010 05:52 PM
last minute help !!!! ruby101 Academics 9 09-11-2010 07:53 AM
Questions about breaks at work TMBGiants Volunteering Opportunities 9 06-09-2010 05:35 PM
Breaks & Holidays? Logic General Discussion 8 09-08-2008 05:51 AM
Are you allowed to leave campus during your breaks? Arnold General Discussion 2 09-04-2008 12:21 AM

10 Minute Breaks?

Old 07-30-2011 at 02:05 PM   #16
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
Just an FYI to first years all libraries have this little booklet you can put in your wallet that has a mini map of the campus on it with all building names and their acronyms! You can find it at the front desk usually. I keep extras in my wallet first few weeks cause I get so many first years asking where x place is and I just give em one of the booklets =P.
last year they had the sickest pen that had a pull out map of mcmaster with all the acronyms!

Old 07-30-2011 at 02:10 PM   #17
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny06 View Post
To add on to the comment about the mini maps, there's also an app you can download for your iPhone, iPad, and iPod. Even if most people dont have an iPhone, I'm sure most people do have an iPod Touch and all you have to do is download the app "MacMap". The app allows you to find buildings using the entire name of a building (Whidden Hall), or just the abbreviation of a building (BSB). Also, you can get directions from one building to another which makes finding shortcuts very easy! Very useful app!

ooo thats neat. Someone should port this over to Android =P

adaptation likes this.
Old 07-30-2011 at 02:39 PM   #18
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
A little off-topic, but:
Good god that's a lot of acronyms! LOL. How long does it take to generally pick all that stuff up? By the end of first year?
You will get used to the campus and the acronyms for building names VERY quickly, like within a few weeks. I felt more lost in my 2 floor high school building than the Mac campus. Profs and TAs usually refer to buildings by the acronyms, as opposed to the full name, so that will help too.
Old 07-30-2011 at 03:17 PM   #19
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
A little off-topic, but:
Good god that's a lot of acronyms! LOL. How long does it take to generally pick all that stuff up? By the end of first year?
LOL This made me laugh because when I read it, I didn't even think to notice the acronyms because they're so commonplace to me! It's like they're automatically the names of the buildings.

icecubz likes this.
Old 07-30-2011 at 05:15 PM   #20
j0sh

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny06 View Post
To add on to the comment about the mini maps, there's also an app you can download for your iPhone, iPad, and iPod. Even if most people dont have an iPhone, I'm sure most people do have an iPod Touch and all you have to do is download the app "MacMap". The app allows you to find buildings using the entire name of a building (Whidden Hall), or just the abbreviation of a building (BSB). Also, you can get directions from one building to another which makes finding shortcuts very easy! Very useful app!
could someone get it on to Android? would be really helpful!
Old 07-30-2011 at 09:40 PM   #21
mochamagicar

Liked: 0 Times

As people have already probably mentioned, the McMaster campus is very small in proportion to the number of students at the school, so ten minutes should be ample time to get to your lectures on time. The odd time you may get out of your lecture late and find yourself running to the other side of campus and make get late, but it doesn't happen very often.
Old 07-30-2011 at 09:51 PM   #22
^__^
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 9 Times

For the paranoid, practice going from class to class and time yourself. Be sure to include washroom breaks and unwanted delays.