MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
it's fun to stay at the L-C-B-O ... macbaby07 General Discussion 3 08-30-2010 03:08 PM
Ways to Stay Awake lawleypop General Discussion 47 11-17-2009 07:02 PM
Ways to stay calm Mowicz General Discussion 29 11-14-2009 06:04 PM
Will I get to stay in? MidniteSpark Academics 1 05-22-2009 10:05 AM

10 Ways To Stay Busy During The Summer

10 Ways To Stay Busy During The Summer

BY NEHA D, MACINSIDERS

So, it's the summer holidays and you've got all this free time. The days seem like they're crawling by, one by one, and you're bored to the point that you're actually itching to get back to school. Well, here's a fun list of things to do that can help you fight off that boredom!

Go to a friend’s house and get your hands on their Wii: The Wii is definitely the best gaming console for hours-on-end of fun. Rent a really fun game with your friends and then challenge each other. This will definitely keep you busy for hours.

Chill with your friends at the mall: The mall is a great place to relax with your friends, shop, watch some movies and just roam around. You can pop in and out of shops, trying on new clothes, browse through the video games, comment on passerbys..the list could go on. I personally prefer going to the movies with my friends and then munching at the food court and talking about how great or stupid the movie was. The mall is certainly a great place to go and have some fun. But, if you’re not the shopping type then maybe you can try the next option.

Take a class: Sign up for some sort of class whether it's learning a new language, learning to swim or even learning the tango. You’ll be keeping yourself busy, meeting new people and gaining new experiences at the same time. It’s always helpful to learn something new.

Challenge your friends at sports: For all you guys (and girls), nothing feels better than beating your best buddy at a sports match. Round up a bunch of your friends and play some basketball, soccer, tennis or whatever you like to play. Playing outside is fun, healthy and never boring. Just remember: the more friends you get, the happier you’ll feel when you get to beat them all.

Reading: If you’re that type of person who really doesn’t like the outdoors then reading is a good option for you. There are a lot of good books to choose from and to suit everyone’s interest. The library is a free privilege so, why don’t you use it? But, if you’re that type of person who thinks that reading is the most boring thing in the world, what on earth are you reading this for?

The computer: Let’s face it, we all love our computers. Whether we use it for Facebook or MSN, we find ourselves constantly escaping to it everyday. Well, spending time on our computers is not completely a bad thing and indulging ourselves once in a while is acceptable. Some interesting things to do on your computer (after spending some time outside) are watching movies online or playing PC games. Of course, there's also Twitter, Facebook and MSN. Just remember not to get addicted.

Video gaming: Being an avid video gamer myself, I know for certain that once you’re hooked on a game, you don’t ever want to stop. Video gaming will take up a lot of your time and will certainly keep you busy. And you’ve got to admit it, video games are fun. There are so many sites where you can look up all sorts of video games and see if they're right for you. But remember: more than two hours a day, could blow your eyesight away!

Walking: It's good to be busy but not too busy. Sometimes you just need to stop and unwind. Walking helps with that. It’s nice just to walk with yourfriends, whether it’s to the nearest Burger King, the park or maybe just to grab an ice cream. Spending quality time with your friends is one of the best ways to enjoy the summer. Alone time is good too and walking by yourself sometimes helps you to catch up with yourself.

Volunteering: Volunteering is a lot of fun when you are involved in things that interest you. It's a great way to gain new experiences and have great time. Plus you get the benefit of having that warm, fuzzy feeling that you gave back to your community.

Cooking: Experimenting with food is always fun to do, as long as your house doesn't catch on fire. Mix up ingredients and make something new. No doubt this will be good practice for you in the years to come. The best part is at the end, when you get to eat all of your creations!

If you’ve done all this and you still feel bored then I’m sorry. I cannot help you.

Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 07-28-2009 at 10:32 AM   #2
Alvand
Program: Business
Year: Third

Liked: 39 Times
Nice article! Summertime is also the perfect time to pick up a new hobby or get back into an old one.

Also, Hamilton Freeskool offers free classes and workshops on a wide variety of subjects from languages to pedagogy to vegan cooking!

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

mcinside, sinthusized, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Alvand for this post.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-28-2009 at 01:42 PM   #3
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper
Program: Commerce
Year: Fourth

Liked: 454 Times
Quote:
Go to a friend’s house and get your hands on their Wii

Also, I'm surprised at the lack of "get a job" >_>

Ownaginatios likes this.
Old 07-28-2009 at 03:52 PM   #4
homeskillet
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

Liked: 11 Times
Jigsaw puzzles!! soo under-rated and pass so many hours of the day! lol

Old 07-28-2009 at 06:58 PM   #5
mcinside
Elite Member
Faculty: Science
Year: Second

Liked: 23 Times
Getting a job is not fun usually... last sentence before the list-> "here's a fun list of things to do.."
XD
Old 07-28-2009 at 08:43 PM   #6
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Masters
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 453 Times
Quote:
The Wii is definitely the best gaming console for hours-on-end of fun.
Quote:
Being an avid video gamer myself
I'm not even gonna comment on that...
Old 07-28-2009 at 08:48 PM   #7
mcinside
Elite Member
Faculty: Science
Year: Second

Liked: 23 Times
XD I'm not going to ask you to comment on that
Old 07-28-2009 at 08:54 PM   #8
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Ignore Tailsnake. He tends to hate everything. D:

mcinside likes this.
Old 07-29-2009 at 12:23 AM   #9
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language

Liked: 196 Times
The Wii is ridiculously fun. Play Mario Kart with friends on that, it's guaranteed fun times.

I've been so bored this summer... I had to stay in a lot in case I got a call for an interview. I don't need a tan or anything but man, I would've loved to spend my time down at harbourfront, gorging on Dutch Dreams ice cream, and having a grandioso time.
Old 07-29-2009 at 12:39 AM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
By saying " I'm not even gonna comment on that..." <- That itself is a comment . Sorry, just felt like saying that!

Awesome job btw mcinside! Wish I ran into something like that at the end of JUNE XD
Old 07-29-2009 at 02:21 AM   #11
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc0390 View Post
Ignore Tailsnake. He tends to hate everything. D:
Ye, I do have a lot of randomly directed hate inside. On the bright side, I get so much hating done online that I have none left for anywhere else which makes me exceptionally agreeable in person.

mcinside likes this.
Old 07-29-2009 at 02:58 AM   #12
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Lies! You hate in person.

Remember when you got a ring out when Zasalamel had no health left?

mcinside likes this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 08:38 AM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy
Program: Software Engineering

Liked: 1,656 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
I'm not even gonna comment on that...
Very true. If you play the Wii and call yourself a gamer... you're actually a nub. That's like people calling themselves a geek/nerd for using Twitter. A true gamer sits in front of his/her (usually his) computer and will play for a week straight without moving while raging at all the 11 and 12 years olds in their server.

The Wii barely qualifies as a game console. It's more of a novelty. I don't know anyone who owns one and still actively plays it over something like PC games or an Ecksbawks 360.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
By saying " I'm not even gonna comment on that..." <- That itself is a comment . Sorry, just felt like saying that!
Fail.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 07-30-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-30-2009 at 11:43 AM   #14
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Program: Business
Year: Other
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Ye, I do have a lot of randomly directed hate inside. On the bright side, I get so much hating done online that I have none left for anywhere else which makes me exceptionally agreeable in person.
That's not true...You're not agreeable in person at all. lol
Old 07-30-2009 at 03:15 PM   #15
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Lies! You hate in person.

Remember when you got a ring out when Zasalamel had no health left?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
That's not true...You're not agreeable in person at all. lol
Oh, great friends I have >_>

Article Tools