MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Celebrate Mills library's 60th anniversary today! KristaG Academics 0 03-31-2011 07:08 AM
What the hell happened here? SilentWalker General Discussion 59 11-01-2010 12:35 AM
BHSc 10th Year Anniversary àlacarte MacInsiders Announcements 7 01-19-2010 09:30 PM
Anniversary ideas Katia General Discussion 19 08-19-2009 01:49 AM
What Happened At Welcome Day? Kevin General Discussion 3 08-14-2007 05:39 PM

10 year anniversary since 9/11. Where were you when it happened?

Old 09-10-2011 at 07:06 PM   #1
darklink121

Liked: 59 Times

10 year anniversary since 9/11. Where were you when it happened?
Pretty much what the title says. Tomorrow is the 10 year anniversary of 9/11 and I remember hearing about that event vividly. I was in grade 6 and in my class my principal made an announcement about what had happened. At first I was shocked about what I heard but then when I came back from school and watched what had happen on CNN I was flabbergast. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, like as if it was from a movie. I also remember that despite the chaos, there were many brave men and women from all different races, socioeconomic status, and employment who were helping the victims, even at the expense of their own lives. Some ignorant people will generalize and say that Muslims were responsible for 9/11. But what they fail to realize is that innocent Muslims, Jews, Christians, Agonostic, Atheisits, Hindus, and many people from different faiths were victims of the attack when the world trade center collapsed. I just pray that no country should ever experience an event like this. My thoughts and prayers go out to the people who died, suffered, and courageously put their own lives at jeopardy to help people during this event.

Old 09-10-2011 at 07:20 PM   #2
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

In the middle of Math class in Atlanta, Georgia (grade 5).

I was completely confused since I had very recently immigrated to USA and had NO clue what the "World Trade Centers" were, and why they were showing us a video in the middle of the day...

fatcat says thanks to ikantsepll for this post.
Old 09-10-2011 at 07:21 PM   #3
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times

my experience with it?
i actually was born in NY and moved to Pennsylvania in '98, but my mom still worked in NY. and... i didn't realize this until after 9/11, but her work building was actually right next to the twin towers
http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=twin+t...429,r:2,s :40 (its the one with the green roof)

however, the story doesn't end like you may think it does.
my mom apparently worked every other day (mon, wed, and fri), but fortunately for us, 9/11 was on a tuesday!
so she was fine, but her work building wasn't.
a messed up building meant she was temporarily laid off and one thing led to another, and now i'm in canada! been here for almost 9 years now
Old 09-10-2011 at 07:35 PM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

I was in P.S. 22 (school in Staten Island) when it happened. My mom came to my class and picked me up even when the teacher was saying "your child is safe here". My mom was like "the only place he's safe, is with me." I was so confused when it happened because the burning papers from the building and the thick black smoke was passing above my house. Till date, me and my cousin still have papers from the WTC.
Old 09-10-2011 at 07:36 PM   #5
darklink121

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricechrispy View Post
my experience with it?
i actually was born in NY and moved to Pennsylvania in '98, but my mom still worked in NY. and... i didn't realize this until after 9/11, but her work building was actually right next to the twin towers
http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=twin+t...429,r:2,s :40 (its the one with the green roof)

however, the story doesn't end like you may think it does.
my mom apparently worked every other day (mon, wed, and fri), but fortunately for us, 9/11 was on a tuesday!
so she was fine, but her work building wasn't.
a messed up building meant she was temporarily laid off and one thing led to another, and now i'm in canada! been here for almost 9 years now

Holy cow. That is remarkable. Thank God your mother survived.

ricechrispy says thanks to darklink121 for this post.

Old 09-10-2011 at 07:49 PM   #6
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
I was in P.S. 22 (school in Staten Island) when it happened. My mom came to my class and picked me up even when the teacher was saying "your child is safe here". My mom was like "the only place he's safe, is with me." I was so confused when it happened because the burning papers from the building and the thick black smoke was passing above my house. Till date, me and my cousin still have papers from the WTC.
P.S. 22? seriously? no joke, i think i might have gone to that school too in kindergarten. either p.s. 22 or p.s. 23. i think p.s. 23 sang on the oscars too, so i was kinda surprised to see them there on tv
Old 09-10-2011 at 07:50 PM   #7
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

was in class when the cyw came in and told us what happened.. when i finally got home and saw the news coverage it was like a movie scene replaying over and over... then i got an instant tummy ache
Old 09-10-2011 at 07:50 PM   #8
fatcat

Liked: 34 Times

I was in the fourth grade and I was in class, just came back from recess and my principle was announcing it to the class. Being kids, no one thought much of it, we were more concerned about why my teacher was crying. We later found out that her son managed to escape from the world trade center. When I got home, I remember seeing it on the news and then I was shocked and confused.

I myself am born in Kabul Afghanistan. But it wasn't until the newspapers came out later, talk of secret islamist groups, videos of afghans partying in the street, this was when I became frightened. I'd be scared to go to school because there was so much gossip, some of my friends started treating me differently, there was also bullying.

It's weird when most ppl can't locate Afghanistan on a map, and sometimes it's not even listed in atlases. You're country is completely ambiguous, then suddenly, it's all over CNN, everyone is talking about it, everyone is an expert and seems to know everything about the politics, economy, and people of afghanistan that they picked up from tabloids and newspapers, they heard from a friend.

What happened on 9/11 is a shame to humanity regardless of what religion/ethnicity you are. But it also shows the contrast between people. Some ppl knew the building was coming down, and yet they still went it to help, and then others decided to crash a plane into a building full of innocent workers.

The only thing that I think that can be gained from this tragic event is to research events. I am not religious, but I think everyone should read the bible and the kuran and the torah from front to back just to see how ppl manipulate those books to their will, how they twist every line to fit their needs.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I also think ppl should search the history of afghanistan to find out how these extremist groups originated. For example, the invasion of the russians, it would surprise you who was supplying weapons to the russians, and how the taliban came to power. or what countries have currently invested in afghanistan's mineral resources from the mountains, how much of that money is actually going towards afghanistan's people and economy.

I think 9/11 is a wake up call for the west, and europe, who seem to be living in their little bubble, careless of the poverty going on in the middle east. WHy does so much of the world hate the US? look at our standard of living, have you ever gone to bed hungry because you have no food? do you go to starbucks and pay 5$ for a mocha latte watever..?? these images being streamed around the worldthanks to globalization/satellite. If you dangle a piece of steak in front of a starving animal, at some point they will get tired of being provoked.

Chevalier, zareen.s24 like this.
Old 09-10-2011 at 07:56 PM   #9
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

I was still living in the Philippines when 9/11 happened and I was at school at that time. I just heard about it from my relatives who lived in the USA and I saw it on TV as well.

My grandma was in America getting an operation from her brain tumor when this happened. Luckily, they were far away from the World Trade Centre during the event and my family and I were relieved that they were safe.
Old 09-10-2011 at 08:24 PM   #10
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by akikokoyoki View Post
I was still living in the Philippines when 9/11 happened and I was at school at that time. I just heard about it from my relatives who lived in the USA and I saw it on TV as well.

My grandma was in America getting an operation from her brain tumor when this happened. Luckily, they were far away from the World Trade Centre during the event and my family and I were relieved that they were safe.
Huh? I was in Philippines too when it happened and it was night so I was asleep at the time and saw it on the news the morning after, while it was the late afternoon of 9/11 in New York. It happened around 8-10 a.m. in New York before DST, so it was 8-10 p.m. in Philippines.

...so you couldn't have been at school. That reminds me of the Psych 1XX3 PBL project, in which George Bush made more than one claim of where he was when 9/11 happened. It's not your fault but our reconstructive memories'.

Old 09-10-2011 at 08:46 PM   #11
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Huh? I was in Philippines too when it happened and it was night so I was asleep at the time and saw it on the news the morning after, while it was the late afternoon of 9/11 in New York. It happened around 8-10 a.m. in New York before DST, so it was 8-10 p.m. in Philippines.

...so you couldn't have been at school. That reminds me of the Psych 1XX3 PBL project, in which George Bush made more than one claim of where he was when 9/11 happened. It's not your fault but our reconstructive memories'.
i love how all of us can remember where we were when 9/11 happened yet the president of US himself, who was in charge on that date, cant even get it straight where he was -_-, says a lot doesn't it.

oh... i was in grade 4, one of the teachers from down the hall came barging in and whispered to my teacher what had happened, but our teach didnt tell us cus i guess we were still a bit young to fully understand and grasp the enormity of the situation. but during recess rumours began to spread, and of course the older kids had found out about it and eventually so did we.

Last edited by Chevalier : 09-10-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-10-2011 at 08:50 PM   #12
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
i love how all of us can remember where we were when 9/11 happened yet the president of US himself, who was in charge on that date, cant even get it straight where he was -_-, says a lot doesn't it.
there are a lot of factors involved though. He's older, and his schedule is really packed.

I myself can't remember exactly where I was or what I was doing on September 11. All I remember is that I was in grade 4 at the time.
Old 09-10-2011 at 09:00 PM   #13
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

My 4th grade teacher told us something very serious had happened and then started crying as she told us that the World Trade Center had been involved in some kind of major incident.

She then proceeded to answer our questions for, if I remember correctly, the rest of the day.

When I got home my parents were glued to the TV. No matter what channel you flipped to you saw the same footage of the impact. I must have seen the towers fall a thousand times that day.
Old 09-10-2011 at 09:15 PM   #14
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
I was in the fourth grade and I was in class, just came back from recess and my principle was announcing it to the class. Being kids, no one thought much of it, we were more concerned about why my teacher was crying. We later found out that her son managed to escape from the world trade center. When I got home, I remember seeing it on the news and then I was shocked and confused.

I myself am born in Kabul Afghanistan. But it wasn't until the newspapers came out later, talk of secret islamist groups, videos of afghans partying in the street, this was when I became frightened. I'd be scared to go to school because there was so much gossip, some of my friends started treating me differently, there was also bullying.

It's weird when most ppl can't locate Afghanistan on a map, and sometimes it's not even listed in atlases. You're country is completely ambiguous, then suddenly, it's all over CNN, everyone is talking about it, everyone is an expert and seems to know everything about the politics, economy, and people of afghanistan that they picked up from tabloids and newspapers, they heard from a friend.

What happened on 9/11 is a shame to humanity regardless of what religion/ethnicity you are. But it also shows the contrast between people. Some ppl knew the building was coming down, and yet they still went it to help, and then others decided to crash a plane into a building full of innocent workers.

The only thing that I think that can be gained from this tragic event is to research events. I am not religious, but I think everyone should read the bible and the kuran and the torah from front to back just to see how ppl manipulate those books to their will, how they twist every line to fit their needs.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I also think ppl should search the history of afghanistan to find out how these extremist groups originated. For example, the invasion of the russians, it would surprise you who was supplying weapons to the russians, and how the taliban came to power. or what countries have currently invested in afghanistan's mineral resources from the mountains, how much of that money is actually going towards afghanistan's people and economy.

I think 9/11 is a wake up call for the west, and europe, who seem to be living in their little bubble, careless of the poverty going on in the middle east. WHy does so much of the world hate the US? look at our standard of living, have you ever gone to bed hungry because you have no food? do you go to starbucks and pay 5$ for a mocha latte watever..?? these images being streamed around the worldthanks to globalization/satellite. If you dangle a piece of steak in front of a starving animal, at some point they will get tired of being provoked.
I honestly don't understand the ideology of many Afghanis. They hate the US for some odd reason even though they were the ones that financially supported the Taliban's rise to power to fight off the Soviet Invasion. They also seem to hate Pakistanis even though they offered refuge en masse in their country and supported them (through weapons and training). Also, living in poor conditions still doesn't justify the killing of innocent people. If they wanted to give a "wake up call", they could have resorted to more peaceful means. As a result of 9/11, the middle-east is now a large with suicide bombings, civil wars and paramount poverty. There are so many other people that live in extremely poor conditions around the world, yet they don't resort to terrorism (e.g. Bangladesh).
Old 09-10-2011 at 09:46 PM   #15
Kerbs

Liked: 17 Times

I was in fourth grade, the teacher announced what happened. I couldn't grasp the magnitude of the situation until I saw the news after school on our TV. I remember that we banned the TV in our house for a span that included 9/11, but when my parents heard they made a special exception and we watched downstairs on the basement floor.