MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Celebrate Mills library's 60th anniversary today! KristaG Academics 0 03-31-2011 07:08 AM
What the hell happened here? SilentWalker General Discussion 59 11-01-2010 12:35 AM
BHSc 10th Year Anniversary àlacarte MacInsiders Announcements 7 01-19-2010 09:30 PM
Anniversary ideas Katia General Discussion 19 08-19-2009 01:49 AM
What Happened At Welcome Day? Kevin General Discussion 3 08-14-2007 05:39 PM

10 year anniversary since 9/11. Where were you when it happened?

Old 09-12-2011 at 12:32 AM   #106
dsalvatore

Liked: 67 Times

This conversation has gotten wayyy out of hand.

One last note: Arabic is a language that is extremely complex and no English translation can ever do it justice. I suspect those of you who are throwing out random verses are either completely incompetent at the Arabic language or have no knowledge of it whatsoever.

Those of you who use verses from the Quraan in your "Islam is Evil" campaign with no understanding of the verses or any decent research into the context of the verses are just as bad as anyone who uses those verses for their own political agendas and go off into killing sprees in the name of Islam. Before you bite my head off- I'm not comparing you to killers. I'm saying you're just as ignorant and you basically accomplish the same goal- spreading ignorance and unfounded hate.

EngStud, fatcat all say thanks to dsalvatore for this post.

EngStud, fatcat like this.
Old 09-12-2011 at 12:32 AM   #107
TedMosby

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngStud View Post
The translation is word for word you dumb ****. It is not a Hadith translation, it is a Quranic translation into English.

If I say this in french : Je suis un fruit ---| I am a fruit.

I did not say : I am an apple.

I can't believe I just use a dumb analogy.
Umadbro? First off, don't personally attack me. Let's hope you pray that sin away.

Secondly, you clearly don't know what a word for word translation is, otherwise EVERYONE would have the same translation for each verse (barring synonyms), right? But they don't, because everyone interprets the verse a bit differently, meaning if they actually thought it meant "tap" in modern English, they would translate it as "tap". Simple. And that own link you posted translates it as "beating". Anyways I'm done with this, if you want to keep discussing without the rude remarks, PM and we can. Off to bed.
Old 09-12-2011 at 12:40 AM   #108
EngStud

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedMosby View Post
Umadbro? First off, don't personally attack me. Let's hope you pray that sin away.

Secondly, you clearly don't know what a word for word translation is, otherwise EVERYONE would have the same translation for each verse (barring synonyms), right? But they don't, because everyone interprets the verse a bit differently, meaning if they actually thought it meant "tap" in modern English, they would translate it as "tap". Simple. And that own link you posted translates it as "beating". Anyways I'm done with this, if you want to keep discussing without the rude remarks, PM and we can. Off to bed.
There is no "tap" in Arabic.

You clearly only know only English as a language. You have never read other languages if you believe that "Fruit" can be translated into "apple".

Everyone would have the same translations for verse if it was word for word ?

Firstly, Arabic is a semitic language. It is older than Germanic Languages (English, Dutch and German). It is also much older than Latin.

The words cannot all be translated into English. I can translate the word red but there are words like "yad" which gets translated into arm but means hand. The reason there are different translations is because some translators have a better Arabic understanding, while others have a better English understanding.

The Hadith is simpler to translate, which is why it is used to UNDERSTAND the Quran even in Arabic. There are Arabs who don't understand the Quran. The Quran is in classical arabic not modern arabic which has lost its easy grammar.

EDIT: I apologize for writing those words. I thought you were Amadeep who called my book full of ...

Last edited by EngStud : 09-12-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-12-2011 at 01:02 AM   #109
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I was in grade 6 and heard about it during lunch time. What I actually heard was people saying "New York has been bombed!".

I pictured an air raid with bombs being dropped on New York (like WWII Luftwaffe invasion style). When I found out what actually happened later, I was like "lol what are the world trade centers?".

After that, I was just mostly pissed off that the new episodes of Digimon were cancelled to show the breaking news for several days.

Didn't even realize it was 9/11 until this yesterday evening :/.

P.S. The gross amount of pseudo-intellectualism going on in this thread is annoying.