MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cancelling Courses squash101 General Discussion 5 11-24-2010 08:12 PM
BUSINESS I courses lorii First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-27-2010 06:33 PM
Need Help with Summer School Choices- Business Courses minikit99 Academics 8 03-29-2010 03:47 PM
question about business courses myInteger Academics 5 12-27-2009 04:03 PM
cancelling courses blue Academics 1 09-20-2008 01:44 PM

1st yr BUSINESS HELP! Cancelling courses

Old 01-27-2011 at 12:35 AM   #1
gamer105

Liked: 0 Times

1st yr BUSINESS HELP! Cancelling courses
Hi,

I'm in Business I, but I've been struggling to keep my marks up. I'm afraid I might not make the required 5.0 gpa to get into Commerce II so I was thinking of dropping two of my required courses ECON 1BB3 and MATH 1M03 this semester and take it during the summer. However on the degroote site it says:

Required courses MUST be successfully completed on your FIRST ATTEMPT
ONLY. You CANNOT FAIL any required courses and you will NOT be permitted
to re-take any courses.

My question is if I cancel the courses before the "Last day for canceling courses without failure by default", will I still be allowed to proceed into Commerce II?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 01-27-2011 at 12:46 AM   #2
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer105 View Post
Hi,

I'm in Business I, but I've been struggling to keep my marks up. I'm afraid I might not make the required 5.0 gpa to get into Commerce II so I was thinking of dropping two of my required courses ECON 1BB3 and MATH 1M03 this semester and take it during the summer. However on the degroote site it says:

to re-take any courses.

My question is if I cancel the courses before the "Last day for canceling courses without failure by default", will I still be allowed to proceed into Commerce II?

Thanks,
Andrew
How does one do bad in 1bb3, the content is so simple. Contact lori hill for a concrete answer at [email protected].
Old 01-27-2011 at 01:08 AM   #3
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

gamer105..... sounds like u need to turn that ps3 off... in anycaes, when u cancel a course i dont think it counts as a failed attempt... altough it does show up on your transcript as cancelled... i would say seen an academic adviser
Desda
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-27-2011 at 05:45 AM   #4
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

Math 1m03 ?! Ur kidding lbb3 your kidding ?! These are the 2 easiest classes at mac

Mikob11 likes this.
Old 01-27-2011
PHLN
Old 01-27-2011 at 10:05 AM   #5
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juve View Post
Math 1m03 ?! Ur kidding lbb3 your kidding ?! These are the 2 easiest classes at mac
I wouldn't say they are the easiest classes at Mac, stop being a pretentious *******.

But anyways dude if you're struggling in your 2nd term of first year and are already looking for escape routes you may need to re-evaluate yourself because it only gets harder from here, 2nd year in particular is a very large step up from first year commerce. Food for thought.

A major in Economics or something however isn't too bad, perhaps look into it.
Old 01-27-2011 at 10:31 AM   #6
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juve View Post
I'm pretty sure that going from an 11 to a 7 in 1B03 revokes your right to talk.

Desda likes this.
Old 01-27-2011 at 11:02 AM   #7
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer105 View Post
Hi,

to re-take any courses.

Thanks,
Andrew
Hey Andrew...

I'm a Commerce III student and actually failed an elective in first year. If you cancel a required course (both of the ones you mentioned), you will not be permitted into Commerce II. In most cases, first year courses are not offered in the summer, and you're not more likely to have an easy time then than you are now.

It's only January 27th. There's still time to pull your marks up. There's no reason you should be doing below a 5 in Econ 1BB3 and Math 1M03. I have to be honest with you, man... if you find Econ 1BB3 hard, you're either in the wrong program and totally screwed, or you're just not trying hard enough. If you want to be a commerce student, you've gotta try harder. It's impossible to do that badly in Econ if you study, really.
Old 01-27-2011 at 11:08 AM   #8
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaint View Post
I wouldn't say they are the easiest classes at Mac, stop being a pretentious *******.

But anyways dude if you're struggling in your 2nd term of first year and are already looking for escape routes you may need to re-evaluate yourself because it only gets harder from here, 2nd year in particular is a very large step up from first year commerce. Food for thought.

A major in Economics or something however isn't too bad, perhaps look into it.
Yeah, you're right. 1B03 and 1K03 are the two easiest. But doing poorly in the 2 previous mentioned is still pretty sad.

Last edited by eullwm : 01-27-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-27-2011 at 01:39 PM   #9
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

He never said anything about doing "bad" in 1BB3 or 1M03, only about dropping it and taking it during the summer.

I'd assume he'll be doing this in order to focus more on a 3 course load semester rather than a 5 course load, however, if anything, 1BB3 should be boosting your mark.

That course requires very little effort, just go to class, and I'll assume you've taken 1B03.
Old 01-27-2011 at 03:57 PM   #10
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Wait, i was told that i could drop my course up until March of this year without facing an academic pentalty (i'm in socsci), so i'm guessing this is untrue. So if i drop the course it will show up on my grade report as a 0?

Could someone give me a real answer here, because no one (not even an academic advisor) seems to have been able to give me the correct answer.
Old 01-27-2011 at 04:04 PM   #11
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
Wait, i was told that i could drop my course up until March of this year without facing an academic pentalty (i'm in socsci), so i'm guessing this is untrue. So if i drop the course it will show up on my grade report as a 0?

Could someone give me a real answer here, because no one (not even an academic advisor) seems to have been able to give me the correct answer.
no it wont say '0' .. just 'cancelled'.. does not affect your gpa
ch33syguy