Exam Marks Alchemist11 Academics 20 12-25-2009 12:22 AM
Defered exam marks? SugarySnack Academics 2 02-28-2009 09:31 PM
Final Exam marks Daisydawne18 Academics 8 12-06-2008 10:41 AM

2 weeks later, no exam marks

Old 10-25-2010 at 07:06 PM   #1
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

2 weeks later, no exam marks
I had a midterm 2 weeks ago from Wednesday and we still don't have the marks back. Given that it was 25 M/C questions via scantron, is it really too much to expect to have them back in just a couple days?

/whine
Old 10-25-2010 at 07:08 PM   #2
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

They are entitled to 2 weeks to mark them by the union. You still have 2 more days before you can be mad with good reason.

jackiemac says thanks to REPLEKIA/. for this post.
Old 10-25-2010 at 07:08 PM   #3
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemac View Post
I had a midterm 2 weeks ago from Wednesday and we still don't have the marks back. Given that it was 25 M/C questions via scantron, is it really too much to expect to have them back in just a couple days?

/whine
Out of curiousity, what class? :o
Old 10-25-2010 at 07:09 PM   #4
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Scantron tests are out of the control of the TAs and Prof. They send them in and someone schedules it, does it, and sends them back.
Old 10-25-2010 at 07:11 PM   #5
jackiemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttk View Post
Out of curiousity, what class? :o
Soc Sci 2J03 Statistics
Old 10-25-2010 at 07:13 PM   #6
jackiemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Scantron tests are out of the control of the TAs and Prof. They send them in and someone schedules it, does it, and sends them back.
That's good to know, thanks. That said I guess I'm a little edgy because I'm really on unstable footing in there and I'd just sorta like to know where I stand. Hence, I'm impatient.
Old 10-25-2010 at 07:13 PM   #7
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

What really annoys me is that you can get through about 100 scantron sheets/minute.

They're like the machines at the bank that count the stack of bills almost instantly.

Inputting marks shouldn't take very long, even with 3 TA's and the prof working - you can probably get through 100 marks inputted within an hour.

And a larger class will have more TAs.

I find it annoying that they want us to write a midterm in one hour but it takes them two weeks to upload the marks, when its 100x easier to mark a midterm using scantron than write it.

britb, jackiemac like this.
Old 10-25-2010 at 09:26 PM   #8
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

And depends on the course/faculty too.

Like 2OA3 orgo chem was able to mark both scantron + written answers and post results within 2 days (written on Wednesday, posted on Friday).

While I'm still waiting on Psych 2C03 marks from about 2 weeks ago (prof said it would be posted Sunday, today at the latest).
Old 10-25-2010 at 09:52 PM   #9
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

I went into my summer class' exam with only the marks from one of the two midterms only, and that one took a good few weeks to post at that. Not a big deal.

Old 10-25-2010 at 10:01 PM   #10
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
They are entitled to 2 weeks to mark them by the union. You still have 2 more days before you can be mad with good reason.
I just felt I should elaborate on this a little more. Your scantron gets sent off to the people who run the machines, who get the 2 weeks to mark them, and then they are sent back to your prof. I do not know who is responsible for actually recording your marks (I'd assume it'd be done automatically since you bubble in your student ID), but I imagine your marks will not be released until your prof gets the scantrons back so taht anyone who contests their marks can be regraded.
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:09 PM   #11
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
What really annoys me is that you can get through about 100 scantron sheets/minute.

They're like the machines at the bank that count the stack of bills almost instantly.

Inputting marks shouldn't take very long, even with 3 TA's and the prof working - you can probably get through 100 marks inputted within an hour.

And a larger class will have more TAs.

I find it annoying that they want us to write a midterm in one hour but it takes them two weeks to upload the marks, when its 100x easier to mark a midterm using scantron than write it.
I am pretty sure its easier then that. I think the scantron machine outputs a digital file with the student number and score and then your prof/TA has software to read that file and upload it to Avenue. So theoretically, once the prof gets the file it takes minutes to get it up on Avenue
Old 10-25-2010 at 10:13 PM   #12
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlov View Post
I am pretty sure its easier then that. I think the scantron machine outputs a digital file with the student number and score and then your prof/TA has software to read that file and upload it to Avenue. So theoretically, once the prof gets the file it takes minutes to get it up on Avenue
Yea, but if you were a prof would you post them right away knowing that a decent number of students are going to want their scantron regraded? This becomes problematic when you don't have the scantrons.