MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
defered exam marks? jackiemac Academics 0 06-25-2010 09:48 AM
Exam Marks Release Date xxsumz Academics 17 04-21-2010 08:15 PM
calculating approximate final exam marks xo.monica Academics 1 01-08-2010 08:56 PM
Defered exam marks? SugarySnack Academics 2 02-28-2009 09:31 PM
Final Exam marks Daisydawne18 Academics 8 12-06-2008 10:41 AM

Exam Marks

Old 12-23-2009 at 08:10 PM   #1
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Exam Marks
Hey, so I was reading on an older thread a year or two ago that exam marks usually aren't posted for first years (but the final marks are, obviously...).

Can anyone confirm, and if so, explain why?

And people say you're supposed to figure out what you're getting going into the exam (which I can do) and your final to find out what you got on the exam, but the final is a range...
Old 12-23-2009 at 08:27 PM   #2
jdia

Liked: 2 Times

yea i wwas wondering that same thing....like i wanna kno what i got on the exam. Like what if they made a mistake? how are we supposed to know?
Old 12-23-2009 at 08:27 PM   #3
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Hey, so I was reading on an older thread a year or two ago that exam marks usually aren't posted for first years (but the final marks are, obviously...).

Can anyone confirm, and if so, explain why?

And people say you're supposed to figure out what you're getting going into the exam (which I can do) and your final to find out what you got on the exam, but the final is a range...
It really depends on the course and the prof. I'm in second year and have only got like one or two final exam marks posted on webct/elm in these two years. Not exactly sure why this is so.
But, you can always email your prof to ask your final exam mark and/or book an appointment to see your final exam.
Old 12-23-2009 at 08:55 PM   #4
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

i know for chem last year, Jeff Landry had office hours in Jan. so you could see your 1a03 exam
Old 12-23-2009 at 09:01 PM   #5
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Yeah, I had Landry this semester lol and I emailed him recently asking him about the same thing. That's cool, it's just annoying that it's so in depth just to see what I got on an exam.
Old 12-23-2009 at 10:10 PM   #6
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

I think supervision is one of the big issues. Instructors also get annoyed if people start begging.
Old 12-23-2009 at 11:42 PM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Exam grades are never posted on MUGSI. Sometimes, the profs post them on ELM or WebCT, but not always. Some profs hold office hours in the following term so you can come in and see your exam. Some profs don't do anything.

I think you have to be allowed to see your exam (I'm not sure though). Your best bet is to email and ask your prof if there's a way you can know your exam mark. At this point, though, you probably won't hear from them until next term.
Old 12-24-2009 at 02:22 AM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I'm in 2nd and haven't received a single exam mark. o_o

and quite frankly, it annoys the shit out of me.
marketing was supposed to be one of my highest marks and i ****ing ended up with a shit mark in it... it'd be nice to know my exam mark or something, because unless i ****ing bombed it, there's NO way the mark I have now is right.

just a pain in the ass. ._.
don't see why they can't take 30 minutes and just post it online.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-24-2009 at 03:04 AM   #9
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Yeah, it's also useful for other times when you want to know how you actually did in a course...in other words, I don't know whether I studied well, or whether I did poorly but my mark was raised, or whether I went down or up but kept the same mark (the 90-100 is a big range, if your exam doesn't count for a lot, you could have gotten potentially like 83% to 100% and have no idea what you actually got).
Old 12-24-2009 at 04:05 AM   #10
sunny

Liked: Liked 6 Times

Rant
Here's what happened to me. I did an exam, and thought I aced it. The exam mark gets posted on elm one morning, and gets taken off by the evening. It was a nice mark, and I emailed the prof. asking if there was a mark change taking place, due to its removal. She told me, that the previously posted mark was unofficial and was not to be posted, YET, she said that my posted mark was correct. And tonight, I checked the "actual" course mark posted on mugsi, and it was horrible; I did well throughout the course too, btw, so I had to have really bombed the exam to end up with this P.O.S. grade. So, what the heck am I supposed to believe at this point? So depressing, first you get your hopes up, and then it all ends up coming down to a crashing blow. Anyways, I ended up emailing the prof again, lets see what she ends up saying. Btw, is there any possiblity that the marks on mugsi, can ever be wrong?
Old 12-24-2009 at 06:33 AM   #11
benjs

Liked: 7 Times

To the previous poster, wait a few days. If I recall correctly, last year one of my courses had two incorrect marks posted before the correct one went up a few days later.
Old 12-24-2009 at 09:31 AM   #12
sunny

Liked: Liked 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjs View Post
To the previous poster, wait a few days. If I recall correctly, last year one of my courses had two incorrect marks posted before the correct one went up a few days later.

Yeah, luckily the prof replied to my email. She claims I aced the exam but failed the midterm. Even though I got an A on the midterm, as posted on elm. Don't know how to prove it to her at this point, as I dont have any physical documentation to do so. McMaster is trying to screw me over for no rhyme or reason.
Old 12-24-2009 at 09:47 AM   #13
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

This sounds more like your prof is trying to screw you over.. not the whole McMaster University.

Old 12-24-2009 at 09:53 AM   #14
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

CHEM1A03 is up on elm
Old 12-24-2009 at 11:19 AM   #15
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Mistakes happen...if you feel as though your grade is off the mark, email your professor and ask to set up an appointment to go in and physically see your exam. I believe you can do so for 6 months, or maybe a year after writing it (at which point they destroy/shred the exam).

I strongly encourage you to do this is you feel the grade is incorrect...I once went in to see my exam, found out I did quite well, then had my mark boosted from a 10 to a 12 just by pointing out that I did well on my exam. (It turns out the professor forgot to include my homework assignments in the grade calculation)