MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game May 13 : Cursed Treasure LevelPack Chad Daily Game 0 05-13-2011 04:16 AM
Is it worth it to even try? Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-15-2010 03:36 PM
Is Horizons worth it? chanduru First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-27-2010 07:51 PM
Minors really worth it? tammy37 Academics 36 08-21-2009 10:21 AM
Horizon worth it? VoyozooT General Discussion 14 07-23-2009 11:47 PM

$20 Billion worth Treasure!

Old 07-04-2011 at 02:50 PM   #1
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

$20 Billion worth Treasure!
Just read that treasure is found in the state of Kerala in India at a hindu temple? It was lying beneath the temple in some of the vaults that weren't opened for centuries. There are still two more vaults to be opened over the week!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story...le-jewels.html

I wonder how many more treasures could be found?? There are many old temples in South India!!!
Old 07-05-2011 at 09:45 AM   #2
MCMashetty

Liked: 15 Times

I read about this. Apparently the estimate now is $22 billion. Sounds unbelievable though. 22 billion dollars worth of jewelry, and rare stones? Must be a hell a lot of jewelry...
Old 07-05-2011 at 11:18 AM   #3
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

it could be priceless treasure...

India sat on a large wealth before the British came. FYI the Crown Jewels are from India. I have a feeling all this treasure will just go towards corruption.
Old 07-05-2011 at 02:30 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post

India sat on a large wealth before the British came. FYI the Crown Jewels are from India. I have a feeling all this treasure will just go towards corruption.
It always does.
Old 07-05-2011 at 03:29 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

there i slike huge debates about india gov should give to the huge population of poor
Old 07-05-2011 at 09:33 PM   #6
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
there i slike huge debates about india gov should give to the huge population of poor
I think it belongs to the temple because it was donated to the temple by devotees. So, it doesn't belong to the public. But, temple can do whatever it wants with it, whether donate it to charities or swim in it.

Also, the last chamber is going to open this week. It is believed to have another tunnel leading underground lol! I am freaking curious about what's gonna come out!
Old 07-05-2011 at 09:35 PM   #7
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post

Britons must be sad thinking how did they miss it. Queen Elizabeth's crown has Kohinoor-most precious diamond, which was taken away from India.

Last edited by mcmastergcdb : 07-05-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2011 at 09:04 AM   #8
SydWidgets
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
I think it belongs to the temple because it was donated to the temple by devotees. So, it doesn't belong to the public. But, temple can do whatever it wants with it, whether donate it to charities or swim in it.

Also, the last chamber is going to open this week. It is believed to have another tunnel leading underground lol! I am freaking curious about what's gonna come out!
It is more likely that most of the wealth came from the collection of taxes(from ppl in the area) during the royal dynasty and through trade, this money belongs to the ppl.
Old 07-07-2011 at 11:22 AM   #9
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydWidgets View Post
It is more likely that most of the wealth came from the collection of taxes(from ppl in the area) during the royal dynasty and through trade, this money belongs to the ppl.
Temples don't collect taxes from people.
Old 07-07-2011 at 11:30 AM   #10
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

I wish my basement had cool stuff like that:(

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 07-07-2011 at 11:43 AM   #11
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

I don't get how the article is saying how the government will cover the costs of security, while the temple gets 22 billion dollars. So taxpayers money will be going towards security for this treasure which wont go back to them?
Old 07-07-2011 at 12:51 PM   #12
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

in the end the go0vernment will find some way to take the treasure for them selves, Indian political framework is corrupt and right now the security is there primary to ensure that the treasure isnt taken by commoners or the priests at the temple. in the end a small portion will probably be left for the temple itself and most will go to corrupt individuals, or hopefully to scientific societies (which i doubt)
Old 07-07-2011 at 01:05 PM   #13
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

was about to go all "why does everyone think India's government is corrupt" then decided to actually read something and ya nevermind... they'll probably try adding it to their 1.4 trillion swiss bank account