MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it worth it to even try? Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-15-2010 03:36 PM
Horizon Utilities Question ShouldBeStudying Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 3 09-09-2010 10:16 PM
Is Horizons worth it? chanduru First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-27-2010 07:51 PM
Horizon Utilities ShouldBeStudying Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 12 05-03-2010 03:16 PM
Minors really worth it? tammy37 Academics 36 08-21-2009 10:21 AM

Horizon worth it?

Old 07-23-2009 at 12:54 AM   #1
VoyozooT

Liked: 3 Times

Horizon worth it?
Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether it is worth spending 170 dollars for Horizon?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2009 at 03:25 AM   #2
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

It definitely is worth it. It's such a great leadership conference. You'll meet lots of people and will have an awesome time. It's kinda like a smaller version of Welcome Week. Lots of fun...
Old 07-23-2009 at 07:00 AM   #3
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

It's definitely worth being able to meet fellow first years before anybody else does. Many incoming first year students are often anxious about making the transition and Horizons helps out A LOT. You will meet many upper years who will know the ins and outs and important tips about what to do in first year. Aside from Summer Orientation, you won't have another opportunity to network like Horizons.

You get to stay in a residence and get a feel for what that's like, to go on campus tours with fellow students in your faculty (both first year and upper years), learn some important skills for first year, and so much more. Horizons is all about the transition and it definitely helps out!
Old 07-23-2009 at 07:36 AM   #4
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyozooT View Post
Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether it is worth spending 170 dollars for Horizon?

Thanks
I went to Horizons in first year, and it was amazing! It's definitely worth it! Think of it this way: out of all the people I met at Horizons, the vast majority (>90%) are now involved at Mac in student leadership.

If you want a jump start, not only on life at Mac, but on student leadership and getting involved, then you should seriously consider Horizons.
Old 07-23-2009 at 09:01 AM   #5
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

When I was in first year, I saw the price freaked out and then decided that it would be a waste of time. I honestly kicked myself afterward because everyone I knew had been part of Horizons. I felt left out. I also found it more difficult to adjust to McMaster life in first year. I think Horizons is a great stepping stone towards success at McMaster.
Old 07-23-2009 at 10:20 AM   #6
VoyozooT

Liked: 3 Times

wow sounds like a lot of fun =P but the only thing is I want to go to either Horizon or the get the MacPass. I'm only thinking of picking one of these, which one should I go to?
Old 07-23-2009 at 10:22 AM   #7
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

The MacPass is your access to most of the events during Welcome Week. If you can only afford one of the two, then I'd have to say get the MacPass. You won't feel like you're part of the festivities without your rez and faculty shirt, and you won't be able access many of the events.
Old 07-23-2009 at 11:14 AM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

If you are worried about the expense, as Ben mentioned definitely get a MacPass rather than going to Horizons.

But if you can manage both...come! There are LOTS of upper years on MacInsiders that are going to be staff at the conference!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-23-2009 at 11:17 AM   #9
crys.eg

Liked: 7 Times

When's the last day to sign up for Horizons?
Could you go on Welcome day and sign up?
instead of mailing/internet sign up.
I would just feel better giving the money directly to someone rather than mailing a cheque or doing it off the internet.
Old 07-23-2009 at 11:19 AM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

It's a first come first serve basis for sign up. So if you wait until Welcome Day you're taking a real gamble, seeing as how the conference is the following week.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-23-2009 at 11:35 AM   #11
mumbojumbo

Liked: 10 Times

I'm really glad that I went to Horizons in my first year. It helped the big transition from high school to university. The fact that you meet alot of people and network BEFORE welcome week is a very big step into becoming part of the university. Like somone else said, it's like a mini version of welcome week which is awesome because you meet people easily. Perhaps one of the best moments I had at Mac was acutally at Horizons.
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:01 PM   #12
crys.eg

Liked: 7 Times

hhaa,
I just realize I can't go.
lol.. oh well.. that saves me money
Old 07-23-2009 at 11:39 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I'm assuming everyone got the letter in the mail about Horizons. But I sent in my application before then and didn't receive a confirmation. Is there anyone I should contact about that, or just wait (it's been over 2 weeks now 0.o)?
thanks!
Old 07-23-2009 at 11:42 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

You can call the Committee Room (where Chanique, the planner works in a shared office), at (905) 525-9140 ex 27685 or you can email her at [email protected] .ca and inquire on the status of your application.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 07-23-2009 at 11:47 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
You can call the Committee Room (where Chanique, the planner works in a shared office), at (905) 525-9140 ex 27685 or you can email her at [email protected] .ca and inquire on the status of your application.
Thanks lorend!