MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dollar Stores? Revolution1 General Discussion 12 02-12-2011 03:58 PM
Value of the Canadian Dollar lawleypop General Discussion 6 11-21-2009 02:17 PM
8 dollar cover @ 1280 WTF dabulls General Discussion 15 09-10-2009 04:02 PM
Why did I even buy some of these textbooks... Ownaginatios Academics 14 12-08-2008 06:53 PM
Textbooks kayleech Academics 16 09-01-2007 04:45 PM

20 dollar textbooks !?

Old 07-22-2011 at 12:27 PM   #1
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

20 dollar textbooks !?
So the other day I was talking to my co-worker about school, he goes to UofT and the cost of textbooks came up. He said that he literally bought all of his textbooks last year for no more than 20 dollars each...

In Toronto, where they sell illegal DVD's and bootleg copies of stuff they also sell photocopied textbooks... They are ring-bound and not the best of quality, however they are the legitimate textbooks and they have everything you need to know.

He also said that if you have the textbook, or if your friend does, you can bring it in (if they don't have it) and they will photocopy it and give you a copy for free (obviously they photocopy it twice so they can resell it) He said that he would buy an unwrapped one or even a used one, tell them to be careful and return it after we get a cheaper copy...

I'm just wondering if anyone else has bought textbooks from a place like this? Is it actually legal for us to purchase them? Can we suffer any consequences if caught by Toronto police or McMaster itself? Because obviously 100dollars sounds so much better than 500ish...

Also any other comments would also be appreciated.
Old 07-22-2011 at 12:52 PM   #2
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Screw that, too much work. Be sleuthy on the internet and find/torrent .pdf's!

FREE books > $20 books

giftedchick, IqzFendi like this.
Old 07-22-2011 at 01:05 PM   #3
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

Sounds about right. I've heard the same thing. It's illegal I would think for obvious reasons. (illegal copying and redistribution).

Besides in terms of acquiring textbooks there are many LEGAL options that won't get you in trouble. For instance instead of buying the textbook try renting from Chegg.com or another website. Or buying from previous years or even buying international versions from Amazon. International textbooks are like a hidden paradise. It's more or less the exact same in terms of the material (except for Math maybe since the Q may be different) for roughly half the Canadian price. Buy a few books and you can get reduced or maybe even free shipping.
Old 07-22-2011 at 01:24 PM   #4
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

Waste of paper smh.
Old 07-22-2011 at 04:04 PM   #5
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

I'm attempting to get all the textbooks I need in an eBook / pdf format, and plan on just carrying an iPad around campus

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 07-23-2011 at 11:52 AM   #6
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrickWall View Post
I'm attempting to get all the textbooks I need in an eBook / pdf format, and plan on just carrying an iPad around campus
that's pretty much my plan too! so much more practical...and lighter! :p
Old 07-23-2011 at 12:01 PM   #7
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
so let me rethink this

i pad = starting 500$

all text books =500+

ebook or pdf = free??

is this a good idea??

should i get an ipad too??
Old 07-23-2011 at 12:12 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
so let me rethink this

i pad = starting 500$

all text books =500+

ebook or pdf = free??

is this a good idea??

I hate ebooks, I've never been able to effectively study with them.. the biggest draw back is not having a solutions manual, which many pdf downloads lack (or they're just really rare releases from textbook publishers).

I don't know many people who actually use the textbooks they end up buying... a large number of students study entirely from posted class notes. Chem/physics/math are the only books I've extensively actually *read*.
Old 07-23-2011 at 12:18 PM   #9
mfattal
Elite Member

What do you think about buying books off ebay??
Old 07-23-2011 at 12:23 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
What do you think about buying books off ebay??
I would go with textbook sites rather than individual buyers off kijiji or ebay... then again I'd never buy anything off of ebay because I'm super paranoid the seller will screw me over

I'm sure many people have successfully bought textbooks that way, but its riskier than regulated textbook sites.
Old 07-23-2011 at 01:53 PM   #11
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Quote:
so let me rethink this

i pad = starting 500$

all text books =500+

ebook or pdf = free??

is this a good idea??

Think of it as an investment. You buy an iPad now, and you're covered for the next 4 years of school. Also an iPad is just slightly more convenient carrying my laptop around.
Old 07-23-2011 at 01:55 PM   #12
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I would go with textbook sites rather than individual buyers off kijiji or ebay... then again I'd never buy anything off of ebay because I'm super paranoid the seller will screw me over

I'm sure many people have successfully bought textbooks that way, but its riskier than regulated textbook sites.
eBay works with a system of trusted sellers. So when people buy stuff, they get to leave feedback, saying how fast the item shipped, if it was a good product etc.

So when you're buying, look for the seller with the most good feedback, and you'll probably never have any issues with them.

You'd be surprised how much good stuff you can get for $50.
Old 07-23-2011 at 02:18 PM   #13
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

If you want physical copies of textbook for cheap, try international version. Its usually the same content as the american version but sell for about $50 (while titles sells for >$150). You can get those at ebay and have the shipped. I bought 4 or 5 of them, none caused me any trouble and they often offers 3 day shipping for free.
Old 07-23-2011 at 04:26 PM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
eBay works with a system of trusted sellers. So when people buy stuff, they get to leave feedback, saying how fast the item shipped, if it was a good product etc.

So when you're buying, look for the seller with the most good feedback, and you'll probably never have any issues with them.

You'd be surprised how much good stuff you can get for $50.
I know how eBay works, thanks.