MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are your top PC/Mac programs? rahulsbhagat Computers & Tech 34 08-11-2011 10:34 AM
Second Year Programs Biochem47 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 02-15-2011 02:11 PM
Changing Programs fred Academics 1 06-14-2010 12:10 AM
No Programs Accepted resh.jyoti Academics 4 06-01-2010 04:30 PM
Programs at Mac manu General Discussion 8 06-28-2009 09:12 PM

2nd programs

Old 05-23-2012 at 12:06 PM   #1
stja1

Liked: 4 Times

2nd programs
If I accept a second year program say, H.Bio, H.Life Sci or PNB. Is it possible to switch out or to another program in 3rd year. If so is it difficult to do so, what would I have to do in either case. Also curious as to which is least and most heavy in terms of program material.
Old 05-23-2012 at 12:19 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stja1 View Post
If I accept a second year program say, H.Bio, H.Life Sci or PNB. Is it possible to switch out or to another program in 3rd year. If so is it difficult to do so, what would I have to do in either case. Also curious as to which is least and most heavy in terms of program material.
Yes you can transfer between programs. Difficulty depends on what you want to transfer into. It's always easier to transfer into a program with unlimited seats and harder to transfer into a program with limited seats. You would have to talk to an academic advisor.
Old 05-23-2012 at 12:40 PM   #3
sam_akbari

Liked: 23 Times

This sounds REALLY stupid, but i need to ask anyway!

If it says on my grade report:

ACCEPTED
H. Biophysics
H. MoleBio
H. Biochem
H. ChemBio

Does that mean i got accepted into all of the programs D;? or only biophysics? OMG im so happy yet confused!

Help D:

Last edited by sam_akbari : 05-23-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: I.e. how would you know if you DIDN'T get accepted?
Old 05-23-2012 at 12:49 PM   #4
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Looks like you're accepted to all of them! PS Mol Bio is awesome. *cough*
Old 05-23-2012 at 02:24 PM   #5
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Quote:
if you're not using your pnb offer you mind giving it to me
Old 05-23-2012 at 02:37 PM   #6
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:

Yes you can. I started first year as a Humanities student, picked my major which happened to be a Social Science program. Completed 2nd year, and now I have applied and been accepted to do a double major for 3rd year within the faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.

There is one thing you should note... I switched into a double major and was accepted, and will not have to take an extra year to complete my program.

Why? Because I chose no electives 2nd year and took all mandatory courses for my program. I did this because I was iffy on my program choice and you will need your elective courses to use if you're planning on switching a major to allocate towards that degree.

If financial constraints of attending school don't matter, and you don't mind doing an extra year though feel free to use up your electives. I personally wouldn't be able to justify another $6,000 + towards an extra year of school just because I changed my mind about my program.
Old 05-23-2012 at 05:07 PM   #7
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_akbari View Post
This sounds REALLY stupid, but i need to ask anyway!

If it says on my grade report:

ACCEPTED
H. Biophysics
H. MoleBio
H. Biochem
H. ChemBio

Does that mean i got accepted into all of the programs D;? or only biophysics? OMG im so happy yet confused!

Help D:
If you didn't get accepted, it would have a big fat INELIGIBLE FOR with a list of the programs, similar to the accepted list.

From your list, you got into ALL of them! Congrats!
Old 05-23-2012 at 05:11 PM   #8
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
If you didn't get accepted, it would have a big fat NOT ACCEPTED with a list of the programs, similar to the accepted list.

From your list, you got into ALL of them! Congrats!

I applied to the SW program last year and nothing stated anywhere on mugsi said NOT ACCEPTED. It is a limited enrollment program though, and I did receive a letter stating I was on the waiting list. So not every listed program necessarily says not accepted.

Watoko likes this.
Old 05-23-2012 at 05:15 PM   #9
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Seems like they changed it from Eligible/Ineligible to Accepted/Not Accepted this year.

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 05-23-2012 at 07:22 PM   #10
sam_akbari

Liked: 23 Times

Okay, that sounds relieving, now i have another question.

Lets say i want to accept uh.. lets say chembio... but i also had an interest in doing a minor in mathematics (i.e. analytical geometry and advanced calculus or something around there), am i too late for that? or is there still time?

Im wondering how can i apply for a minor and when it may be possible (seeing as how im seeing myself taking a LOT of math courses in the future)
Old 05-23-2012 at 07:41 PM   #11
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^in chembio, you get a ton of electives in 4th year. my friend says he wishes to complete a physics minor thanks to that 4th year elective space so i imagine a math minor is perfectly feasible too. and you just finished 1st year. you have your whole undergrad to do a minor so dont worry. id worry depending on when/what courses you can take and if they conflict and stuff, but from how i see chembio, you could do that math minor
Old 05-23-2012 at 08:28 PM   #12
joannet

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:

Lets say i want to accept uh.. lets say chembio... but i also had an interest in doing a minor in mathematics (i.e. analytical geometry and advanced calculus or something around there), am i too late for that? or is there still time?

Im wondering how can i apply for a minor and when it may be possible (seeing as how im seeing myself taking a LOT of math courses in the future)
You don't have to apply for a minor. Just make sure you meet the requirements and state your minor when you graduate!

SOURCE: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...-12/pg129.html
Old 05-23-2012 at 09:43 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:

It will be possible, but you'll have to plan very carefully, and it will likely require taking online/summer courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
^in chembio, you get a ton of electives in 4th year. my friend says he wishes to complete a physics minor thanks to that 4th year elective space so i imagine a math minor is perfectly feasible too. and you just finished 1st year. you have your whole undergrad to do a minor so dont worry. id worry depending on when/what courses you can take and if they conflict and stuff, but from how i see chembio, you could do that math minor
You have a ton of electives in fourth year, but the problem a lot of people in my year found was that by the time you GET to fourth year, you have all these electives and no prereqs to take anything...most people took a bunch of first and second year courses. Like, for most upper year math courses you need all three 1st year maths (two calcs + 1B03). If you didn't take those in first year, then you can't take 1B03 until second term of second year (that's when your only elective is), and then you've lost a whole year towards your minor. In third year, you get another 1-2 electives, depending on course offerings, but if things conflict with required courses or need to be taken in certain sequences, it can be very difficult. I don't know of anyone in chembio who has managed to do a minor yet (doesn't mean it can't or hasn't happened, I just have never heard of anyone managing it, despite several people attempting).
Old 05-24-2012 at 06:14 AM   #14
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^yea, thats kinda what my last sentence was meant to say. gotta check your timetable carefully yo.
Old 05-24-2012 at 09:02 AM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
I believe you declare the minor prior to graduation. You don't need to apply for it or anything. Just check and double check that you have fulfilled the requirements along the way, if you choose to do one.