MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biology courses with LAB components? daftypatty First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-05-2013 09:47 AM
Field Biology Courses HELP! mcmastergcdb General Discussion 1 03-21-2012 10:17 PM
Third year Biology or Biochem Courses kwyhan Academics 3 09-06-2011 03:36 PM
Confused about Biology courses for first year killza First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-21-2009 03:24 PM
Biology-Third Year Courses mnk1988 Academics 22 06-20-2009 09:13 PM

2nd Year Biology courses

Old 06-11-2013 at 09:49 PM   #1
drslayer987

Liked: 1 Time

2nd Year Biology courses
I was wondering if anyone has any of their last year biology midterms or assignments/labs that they can share thanks in advance
Old 06-11-2013 at 09:51 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

this is academic dishonesty. ur ip address can be traced and this can go on ur record
Old 06-11-2013 at 09:53 PM   #3
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
this is academic dishonesty. ur ip address can be traced and this can go on ur record
LOL relax. If they were going to go through all that s***, they'd be all up on the McMaster facebook group tracking down the people who are selling the used tests, not the people who want to buy them.

drslayer987 likes this.
Old 06-11-2013 at 09:57 PM   #4
drslayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
OH GOD I AM IN BIG TROUBLE!! Mcmaster allows such file sharing, they do it themselves...they post last years tests for physics and exams in case you didn't know
Old 06-11-2013 at 10:00 PM   #5
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

It's different when they post the tests themselves, though. It's their property. This is different, because you're asking students to just give you tests/materials out of the goodness of their hearts.

drslayer987 says thanks to Angoose for this post.
Old 06-11-2013 at 10:35 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
It's different when they post the tests themselves, though. It's their property. This is different, because you're asking students to just give you tests/materials out of the goodness of their hearts.
It's not even that you're asking students to do it out of the goodness of their hearts, it's that you're asking them to distribute materials that are not theirs to give out. Students don't own them and every course outline contains a statement regarding this, both in the copyright section and the academic dishonesty section.

And for people who say that labs are okay because they are your own, that's not true either. It's the same as giving someone a test or a quiz (it's still an assessment) and it's actually far easier to plagiarize. I've seen it happen where one person lets another see their lab "just to look over/compare/whatever" and then they end up copying the entire thing. Both students will get in trouble even if the first person had no knowledge that their report would be used in this way, because it's your own responsibility to safeguard your work from plagiarism.

drslayer987 says thanks to starfish for this post.

Angoose likes this.
Old 06-11-2013 at 10:51 PM   #7
drslayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
It's not even that you're asking students to do it out of the goodness of their hearts, it's that you're asking them to distribute materials that are not theirs to give out. Students don't own them and every course outline contains a statement regarding this, both in the copyright section and the academic dishonesty section.

And for people who say that labs are okay because they are your own, that's not true either. It's the same as giving someone a test or a quiz (it's still an assessment) and it's actually far easier to plagiarize. I've seen it happen where one person lets another see their lab "just to look over/compare/whatever" and then they end up copying the entire thing. Both students will get in trouble even if the first person had no knowledge that their report would be used in this way, because it's your own responsibility to safeguard your work from plagiarism.
Oh ok, thanks for clarifying this guys, so i can refuse to let people compare answers with me right? because if they copy me then that would mean i fail the course....
Old 06-11-2013 at 11:55 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drslayer987 View Post
Oh ok, thanks for clarifying this guys, so i can refuse to let people compare answers with me right? because if they copy me then that would mean i fail the course....
Of course you can refuse. Nobody can make you share your work with them.

Usually it wouldn't mean you fail the course...first time for something like that (where you didn't know the other person would copy) is usually a zero on the assignment with a sort of secret notation on your record (though this is at the discretion of the prof). By "secret notation" I mean that it won't be on your transcript or anything like that but if you're caught in any sort of situation with academic dishonesty again you're pretty much out of luck since now there's a history there.

drslayer987 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 06-12-2013 at 12:30 AM   #9
drslayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Of course you can refuse. Nobody can make you share your work with them.

Usually it wouldn't mean you fail the course...first time for something like that (where you didn't know the other person would copy) is usually a zero on the assignment with a sort of secret notation on your record (though this is at the discretion of the prof). By "secret notation" I mean that it won't be on your transcript or anything like that but if you're caught in any sort of situation with academic dishonesty again you're pretty much out of luck since now there's a history there.
DAMN!! i was taking solo many risks....