MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commerce first year CathDuong First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-03-2012 08:41 PM
Upper Year Commerce Students - Commerce 1st year report CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 03-13-2011 07:46 PM
2nd year commerce MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 10-05-2009 09:41 AM

Is 2nd Year Commerce Really That Bad?

Old 04-13-2013 at 09:12 AM   #16
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHiggins View Post
Well it's calculous economics and not all of us are super strong in math. I have been told by other students that the course is very challenging for students in the program. I think your comment is unreasonable.
I would recommend taking it with Holmes. I'm in econ rather than commerce, and also not the best at calc, and with some hard work I got an 11. She is very generous in terms of bonus marks, so make sure you go to class to capitalize on that, and at least half her midterms are theory. That said, I actually found the math aspect of the tests easier... The final was non cumulative, which is a huge deal, and she actually makes class pretty fun because she's a cool lady. I cannot stand James Bruce, and if you're weak in math, run, do not walk, away from this man.

Commie42 says thanks to Kudos for this post.

Commie42, keiser=), nadinee like this.
Old 04-13-2013 at 09:16 AM   #17
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
I would recommend taking it with Holmes. I'm in econ rather than commerce, and also not the best at calc, and with some hard work I got an 11. She is very generous in terms of bonus marks, so make sure you go to class to capitalize on that, and at least half her midterms are theory. That said, I actually found the math aspect of the tests easier... The final was non cumulative, which is a huge deal, and she actually makes class pretty fun because she's a cool lady. I cannot stand James Bruce, and if you're weak in math, run, do not walk, away from this man.
Yea, I just finished up Micro with her this term. I thought that, so I registered for her summer econ. I feel like it'll be a lot crammed into a 6 week term but hopefully it'll ease the workload next year if I get econ out of the way now.
Old 04-13-2013 at 10:06 AM   #18
Kudos
Elite Member

Just go to class and do her practice tests and you'll be fine! My roommate and I are NOT math people and we got a 10 and an 11 respectively. It's totally doable, but it's a class tha takes some effort.

Commie42 says thanks to Kudos for this post.
Old 04-13-2013 at 10:45 AM   #19
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
I cannot stand James Bruce, and if you're weak in math, run, do not walk, away from this man.
I had Bruce for econ.... let's just say it didn't go too well. i really didn't like the way he taught. he would just keep going on and on. didn't really bother to explain much.
that being said his quizzes were easy marks, because they were really similar to his past quizzes that he provides. there were 4 questions (short answer) and each question was worth 10 points. so even if you just wrote down the formula and didn't really know how to solve the question, you would still get part marks.
his exam was multiple choice. i think it was cumulative. i didn't find that the past quizzes or exams helped for the final. you really had to know what you were doing.
Old 04-13-2013 at 11:04 AM   #20
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

My roommate is in 3rd year commerce and sleeps all day. MSAF's an insane amount of work and never goes to class. Commerce actually sounds kind of fun

Old 04-13-2013 at 11:17 AM   #21
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marooner View Post
My roommate is in 3rd year commerce and sleeps all day. MSAF's an insane amount of work and never goes to class. Commerce actually sounds kind of fun
How can you MSAF an insane amount of work unless I'm missing something. I never used an MSAF, but don't you only get one per term?
Old 04-13-2013 at 11:21 AM   #22
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

Apparently going to the health and wellness centre and being *cough cough* sick. Easy $20 signature or whatever it costs for the doc

Old 04-13-2013 at 02:14 PM   #23
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marooner View Post
Apparently going to the health and wellness centre and being *cough cough* sick. Easy $20 signature or whatever it costs for the doc
Oh. I never knew that. ._.
Old 04-13-2013 at 02:48 PM   #24
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Oh. I never knew that. ._.
you never knew a doctors note can allow you to miss stuffÉ
Old 04-13-2013 at 06:09 PM   #25
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
you never knew a doctors note can allow you to miss stuffÉ
Interpret it as you will.
Old 04-13-2013 at 07:15 PM   #26
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

so if someone broke their leg and already used an msaf, what did u honestly expect they had to do to miss work? lol
Old 04-14-2013 at 10:48 AM   #27
Kudos
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreebee View Post
I had Bruce for econ.... let's just say it didn't go too well. i really didn't like the way he taught. he would just keep going on and on. didn't really bother to explain much.
that being said his quizzes were easy marks, because they were really similar to his past quizzes that he provides. there were 4 questions (short answer) and each question was worth 10 points. so even if you just wrote down the formula and didn't really know how to solve the question, you would still get part marks.
his exam was multiple choice. i think it was cumulative. i didn't find that the past quizzes or exams helped for the final. you really had to know what you were doing.
I'm taking 2GG3 with him right now and it's not going super well, the exam is on the 24th and I've been studying everyday for it. I've been working off his past exams, which are multiple choice, but you say those didn't really help too much? I'm not sure what class you took with him but I'd appreciate any insight at all into what to expect on the exam.

It's actually gonna take a lot of effort for me to pull off the grade I want in this class. Every other class I've had with Bruce I've dropped because his teaching style makes me mental. I'm sure it works for some people (ie those with a lot of prior math knowledge) but this will almost definitely be my lowest grade of the year.
Old 04-14-2013 at 04:54 PM   #28
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
I'm taking 2GG3 with him right now and it's not going super well, the exam is on the 24th and I've been studying everyday for it. I've been working off his past exams, which are multiple choice, but you say those didn't really help too much? I'm not sure what class you took with him but I'd appreciate any insight at all into what to expect on the exam.

It's actually gonna take a lot of effort for me to pull off the grade I want in this class. Every other class I've had with Bruce I've dropped because his teaching style makes me mental. I'm sure it works for some people (ie those with a lot of prior math knowledge) but this will almost definitely be my lowest grade of the year.
i took econ 2x03 with him
i remember my exam it was more theoretical, rather than all math. i was expecting it to me more like what his past exams were, because of how his quizzes were similar to past ones. personally i thought that his past exams were not like his actual exam.
but you say you've been studying for it everyday, and i didn't study too well for it. so im sure you'll do fine.
i guess my advice would be to pay attention to the theory just as much as the math. sorry, i know it isn't the best insight.

good luck

Kudos says thanks to shreebee for this post.

Kudos likes this.