MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there other options?? pandabearxox First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 03-11-2013 10:29 PM
Entering Engineering next year - QUESTIONS about first year Devine13 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 03-08-2013 08:42 AM
options manap3000 Academics 1 08-24-2010 02:54 PM
Second Year Res Options Chimmy Residence & Housing 13 03-03-2009 04:49 PM

2nd Year Engineering continuation options

Old 05-10-2013 at 07:29 PM   #1
Abhimint

Liked: 4 Times

2nd Year Engineering continuation options
Hey guys, I just finished my 2nd year of engineering and I just found out that my Sessional average is below a 4.
One of my grades has not come out yet and I am seriously counting on that one to get me to a 4.0(The exam was worth 80%)
I talked to the academic councilor today and she told me that I might get kicked out of the university...I do not know what I can do..I applied for a change in my stream of engineering during the start of the 2nd semester because I could not cope up with the form of engineering that I currently am in...and now this..

I would be thankful to anyone who could suggest something helpful..
Old 05-10-2013 at 07:37 PM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

If your CA drops below 4 this year, try and take some electives you like this summer and try to raise your CA to a 4. Just make sure you talk to your advisor before doing this.

If your CA stays below 4 after summer school, do 1 year of btech and then come back to 2nd year engineering next September. A lot of the courses in first year btech are similar to the first year eng ones but they're a bit easier.
Old 05-10-2013 at 09:16 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

No matter what (unless your exam brings u above 4) you will not be able to get into a 2nd year stream. Summer courses will not factor into 2nd year choices. As said above follow those suggestions.
Old 05-10-2013 at 09:19 PM   #4
Abhimint

I am not going from 1st year to 2nd year guys, I just finished my 2nd year of engg and would go into my 3rd year if my gpa wasn't so low..
Old 05-10-2013 at 09:20 PM   #5
Abhimint

Jeanie Hopkins said that any summer school course will not help me...that's only for 1st year going into 2nd year
Old 05-10-2013 at 09:22 PM   #6
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhimint View Post
I am not going from 1st year to 2nd year guys, I just finished my 2nd year of engg and would go into my 3rd year if my gpa wasn't so low..
I know
12chars
Old 05-10-2013 at 09:29 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

I read that wrong. You can apply to be reinstated. Repeat year 2 and wipe with a clean slate. You'd need to talk to the Faculty head of your department
Old 05-10-2013 at 09:31 PM   #8
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Jeanie Hopkins said that any summer school course will not help me...that's only for 1st year going into 2nd year
That sucks :/ well..as i said, the best thing to do is to do 1 year in btech, get a good gpa and come back...even if ur gpa is below 3 they'll take u in btech.
First year btech is not bad, you should be able to get a 9 and switch back, or you can get a really high gpa from first term and then take a break in term 2.
What i mean is, after first term in btech, if you have a really high gpa like an 11, you can talk to Maria White and she'll probably get you back to eng. You won't start until September, but you can work or something..

So, if your gpa is below 4 or 3, tell them you want to switch to btech, do really good and then come back next September to something other than software (since you said you're thinking of something else). Or, if after first term in btech you did great, just talk to Maria White and she'll get you back to eng (but you'd have to wait until September to start again in eng).

Maria White is responsible for all the transferring:
http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/about/peopleassocdean.html
Old 05-11-2013 at 10:36 AM   #9
Abhimint

Thanks Jim and Leeoku...Do you guys think asking the professors for help might be a good idea?because I am standing at a 3.6 right now..
Old 05-11-2013 at 10:56 AM   #10
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

From my experience, professor's usefulness really depends on your performance/how familiar they are with you in class.(If you are looking for them to boost your mark by like a grade point). Some profs dont do it and some depends on your persuasion skills(like you are SOOOO close to another grade point, give them a reason to boost you). If you show up/participate in class alot(this increases your chances). If you failed the course by a large difference, chances are, they wont help.

**Computer Engineering**
Old 05-11-2013 at 12:25 PM   #11
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Thanks Jim and Leeoku...Do you guys think asking the professors for help might be a good idea?because I am standing at a 3.6 right now..
Yea try and ask your profs for some help, some profs do help, but you gotta show them a reason for pushing your grades up.
Old 05-11-2013 at 12:37 PM   #12
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I don't think the real important question has been asked or answered here (or maybe it has and I missed it?)

What DO you want to do? You just mention that Software wasn't for you. What part didn't you like? Theory-based learning? Intense math?

I ask because all the suggestions have been guided towards getting you back into an engineering stream, but this makes the assumption that your best choice is to go back into an engineering stream. Perhaps it is BTech, perhaps it is College, perhaps it is work for a year and come back to some form of post-secondary.
Old 05-11-2013 at 01:05 PM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Yea try and ask your profs for some help, some profs do help, but you gotta show them a reason for pushing your grades up.
To expand on this, I'd recommend approaching Dr. Wassyng. He's probably the most likely to increase your grade in 2AA4 if you can demonstrate that you understand what was learned. Possibly Dr. von Mohrenschildt as well.

You should probably just bump up to a 4.0 and continue in software embedded. Mechatronics and software embedded are nearly the same program in third year onward.

If you can achieve that, definitely try and get to the root of why you're doing poorly. If it's something like test anxiety, then there is a mental health clinic at the school can help you out.

I've talked to you before, and other people in your program say you're on top of the material a lot of the time. You seem to know what's up - so I don't think it's really a matter of just not getting it.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 05-11-2013 at 01:12 PM.