MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Older Students entering first year aw07 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 06-26-2011 03:36 PM
First Year Questions! davied First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 01-14-2011 09:52 PM
Some questions from a second year kwyhan Financial Aid 1 06-23-2010 08:12 PM
First Year Kin Questions caitygambi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-21-2010 07:46 AM
Entering 2nd Year Commerce - What Classes to Take in Summer? jwei Academics 6 03-25-2009 07:19 PM

Entering Engineering next year - QUESTIONS about first year

Old 03-07-2013 at 11:38 AM   #1
Devine13

Liked: 1 Time

Entering Engineering next year - QUESTIONS about first year
Hi Everyone,

I'm coming to Mac next year for engineering, and I am wondering what electives I should take. I was thinking about taking Micro Econ, I hear it's interesting but I'm worried the course will fill up though before I can join.

Also, do I get to choose my profs? Can someone explain to me how the course selection works?

thanks very much!

kev
Old 03-07-2013 at 11:48 AM   #2
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Econ 1B03 and Econ 1BB3.

I took Anthro 1A03 and regretted it. The only thing I enjoyed out of it was learning what culture is all about. The deal breaker was spending hours finding sources supporting your argument. If I had to go through it all again, it would be what I stated above. I'd rather sit down and solve problems than researching something that's common knowledge.

Taking economics, you have already rigorously went through many mathematical problems that makes economic courses a walk in the park. Plus, if you find it interesting, you can always minor in economics when you take additional electives/courses in the upper years and over the summer.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

Devine13 likes this.
Old 03-07-2013 at 11:55 AM   #3
Destiny_

I suggest you to take micro and macro econ (econ 1b03 and econ 1bb3 iirc). The course shouldn't fill up if you make your timetable early. You choose your courses via solar (can be accessed by login into mugsi then selecting the solar tab). You can tell which prof is teaching which course section by checking the mcmaster master timetable and select the desired course section accordingly.

Welcome to MAC

Devine13 likes this.
Old 03-07-2013 at 11:56 AM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Hey Kevin! Congrats on getting accepted and welcome to Macinsiders

Take whatever you are interested in. Here's a list of electives to choose from:
http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/documents/electives.pdf

If you are worried about the elective, just try to get into solar right at 12 am and try your best. You might not be able to get in until like 1 am, but it's worth the wait
Solar is where you pick your courses.

Unfortunately, you can't choose your profs, but you can change your timetable around so you can have a particular prof if you want.

Course selection is not until end of June, i am pretty sure they will email you a tutorial video showing you how to choose your courses sometime in May/early June.

Some links you might find useful:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1197.html
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1195.html
http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/eng1/index.html

Devine13 says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 03-07-2013 at 12:18 PM   #5
Devine13

Thanks! that information helps a lot

Also, how did you find the workload of first year? I know it's going to be tons of work, but after reading the courses they sound rather interesting and I'm excited!
Old 03-07-2013 at 12:30 PM   #6
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I guess the workload varies for everyone. Now that I am in fourth year, having a capstone and 5 courses makes first year appear much, much easier.

I guess the best way to put it, you found workload harder in 9th grade 4 years ago and now that you're in 12th grade, you will find 9th grade a breeze.

So, I can say this: expect to feel the "weeding out the weak" effect in first year. Each one of them will be targeted, including you. If you make it to third year, you will graduate. Guaranteed.

Remain excited and interested in these courses, sooner or later, you're bound to find some of them repulsive.

Devine13 says thanks to Bhaltair for this post.
Old 03-07-2013 at 01:06 PM   #7
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Micro and Macro (1B03 and 1BB3) are common options, because most people hear of the Management option for engineering. However, I took 1B03 and decided I didn't want to be focused on the money-side of things as much... Not that I'm bad with it (I did well in that course actually, and manage my own money pretty well), but it's not FUN or INTERESTING to me. So I went into society adn discovered a whole new world of electives because I had to!

So here it is:
Geog 1HA3 or Geog 1HB3: Geography and society, or geography and economy (respectively). Both are EASY courses if you know how to study to memorize some facts. Beyond that, you open up a world of new Geography electives you can take in second year, so it's a great option.

Language courses: IF you're decent with a second language already, you could consider this. IT's a great option for diversifying your skills.

Theatre & Film: Purely a fun course. It'll make you more artsy, but beyond that I'm not sure how you would apply the knowledge you gain... But it IS an easy course.

Enviro Sci: A lot of courses here that I wanted to take, but could never fit into my schedule personally.... Just bad luck really. But these would be similar to the Geography courses in that they are relatively easy, half-decent/useful content, and you just have to memorize some facts/concepts before the exam. Some of it will stick after.

Devine13 says thanks to mike_302 for this post.

Zachary likes this.
Old 03-07-2013 at 02:57 PM   #8
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

I would stick to the Econ 1b03 and 1bb3 as previously mentioned. Getting into eng means you have to be decent in mathematics, and the most difficult concept you will explore in those courses is finding the slope of a linear line (I know... difficult right! )
Dont get discouraged if you fail a midterm or two along the way. Coming in, there really isnt any way you can be prepared for the amount of work you need to put in for midterms. I remember my first set of midterms, i bombed the first physics test and barely passed my first chem midterm. Its an eye opener, but instead of dwelling on them, you can use them as a gauge to make changes in your habits going forward
Congratulations on getting into MacEng and good luck with the next 4+ years here at McMaster!!!

Devine13 says thanks to Chris23 for this post.
Old 03-07-2013 at 04:26 PM   #9
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

if i were you, i wouldnt really change many cores in first term. just go with what they give you unless its really bad. i know many 1st years who tried changing like 4 courses and completely messed up their schedules because they didnt know how to use the system. system is easy to use but i wouldnt worry too much about profs
Old 03-07-2013 at 06:50 PM   #10
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

You won't have room for electives if you're in engineering.
Old 03-07-2013 at 06:56 PM   #11
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Says the guy listed as being in women's studies (i know thats probably not his program) You get two electives in first year that are outside of the engineering faculty
Old 03-07-2013 at 07:10 PM   #12
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^and electives are mandatory in engineering. people even do their electives in the summer so that they can take 5 courses/term and not have to worry about their electives
Old 03-07-2013 at 08:44 PM   #13
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

I agree with Mike: take the electives for stuff you have an active interest in, aside from engineering, that is.

Personally, I enjoyed the electives I took in first year and I'm glad I did. I couldn't really pick any more in my second and third years. You get technical electives in your fourth year, that's certainly worth looking forward to.

Edited to add: And what Silver said.
Old 03-08-2013 at 07:30 AM   #14
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

German 1Z06. The class takes two elective spaces and is easy mode.

Also, make sure you design your timetable ahead of time before course selection when next year's schedule is released using this super cool site some guy made.

andrewjdg says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.

Phaint, Zachary like this.
Old 03-08-2013 at 08:40 AM   #15
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
German 1Z06. The class takes two elective spaces and is easy mode.

Also, make sure you design your timetable ahead of time before course selection when next year's schedule is released using this super cool site some guy made.
I hear that 'guy' you mention is actually a rather popular and sought after celebrity.