MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some questions from a second year kwyhan Financial Aid 1 06-23-2010 08:12 PM
First Year Kin Questions caitygambi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-21-2010 07:46 AM
3rd Year Life Sci Bsc Questions soft_kitty99 Academics 3 06-19-2010 12:05 PM
2nd year Psych B.A (Questions) karla carr Academics 5 06-16-2010 10:25 AM
questions (2nd year) kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 06-08-2010 07:39 PM

First Year Questions!

Old 01-14-2011 at 06:13 PM   #1
davied

Liked: 1 Time

First Year Questions!
Hi guys, I really want to go to McMaster next year but I just had a couple of questions about the program. I applied to the psychology, neuroscience and behaviour course. I was wondering what the time table is like first year, what grades did you get in with the program with. Is it possible to go to med school for post grade? What's the GPA like in the program?

Sorry for the questions
Old 01-14-2011 at 06:18 PM   #2
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Please be more vague.
Old 01-14-2011 at 06:18 PM   #3
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by davied View Post
Hi guys, I really want to go to McMaster next year but I just had a couple of questions about the program. I applied to the psychology, neuroscience and behaviour course. I was wondering what the time table is like first year, what grades did you get in with the program with. Is it possible to go to med school for post grade? What's the GPA like in the program?

Sorry for the questions
I can't answer the first 2 questions as I am in Life Sci, but I can answer number 3. Yes, you can get into apply to med school after. It's odd, but in Canada you can apply to med school with any undergraduate degree (it's just harder to pass the MCAT if you are not in a medical related course)
Old 01-14-2011 at 06:53 PM   #4
phln3

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
I can't answer the first 2 questions as I am in Life Sci, but I can answer number 3. Yes, you can get into apply to med school after. It's odd, but in Canada you can apply to med school with any undergraduate degree (it's just harder to pass the MCAT if you are not in a medical related course)
Just apply to Mac. They only care about your MCAT Verbal section
Old 01-14-2011 at 07:19 PM   #5
davied

so are the class sizes really small with this program?
Old 01-14-2011 at 07:26 PM   #6
phln3

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Is there such a thing as _small_ class size for any of the first year program?
Old 01-14-2011 at 07:29 PM   #7
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by phln3 View Post
Is there such a thing as _small_ class size for any of the first year program?
I'm gonna go ahead and say NO.
Even in second year the class sizes are pretty big. The only small classes I have are the classes that are specific to my program (which has 17 people in it).

And regarding the OP: what you've asked made no sense. What program did you apply for? I'm pretty sure Psychology, neuroscience and behaviour is an entire faculty.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 01-14-2011 at 07:32 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
I'm not sure what courses are required for first year psych, but the first year psych classes are pretty big. 3 or 4 cores of about 300 people. A lot of the lectures are online modules anyway. The cores are just 1-hour a week. Tutorials are pretty small though, about 25 people.
Old 01-14-2011 at 07:32 PM   #9
davied

What average do you think would be safe to get in since its a BA humanities program? Like i already got early acceptance to Carleton ( but its carleton) so i was kinda expecting mac although i know im dreaming if i expect to hear anything before march :(
Old 01-14-2011 at 07:35 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I would say mid-high eighties would be a safe average to guarantee acceptance to the program. But it could be much lower. A lot of it depends on the averages of other applicants.
Old 01-14-2011 at 07:41 PM   #11
davied

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and say NO.
Even in second year the class sizes are pretty big. The only small classes I have are the classes that are specific to my program (which has 17 people in it).

And regarding the OP: what you've asked made no sense. What program did you apply for? I'm pretty sure Psychology, neuroscience and behaviour is an entire faculty.
Umm,ya i thought that was weird too but on OUAC it says it's a faculty and within that faculty it's also a program.
Old 01-14-2011 at 07:44 PM   #12
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

I think the OP meant psychology under social science. I have a friend who is in level 1 psych.
you can't apply for the science-based psych program until second year.
Old 01-14-2011 at 07:49 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
It's not a faculty, it is a department that belongs to both the science and social science faculties (although I believe it's more under 'science'...)

However, you still can't apply to be in it in first year. You apply in Feb/March-ish of your first year and you start in the program in second year. On OUAC it asks for your subject of major interest or whatever, but that isn't binding, it's just to get an idea for numbers and interest. You would most likely be coming from Life Sci 1 or Soc Sci 1 to get into a psych program in level 2.

It's also a very popular/competitive program, and people tend to really like psych electives, so as a result, the class sizes are huge.
Old 01-14-2011 at 07:50 PM   #14
davied

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
I think the OP meant psychology under social science. I have a friend who is in level 1 psych.
you can't apply for the science-based psych program until second year.
Okay that makes sense cause one of my friends said that she didnt get into honors PNB because her first year marks were too low.

So that means that first year im psych, and then i apply for a science based psych program in second year???
Old 01-14-2011 at 07:52 PM   #15
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Okay that makes sense cause one of my friends said that she didnt get into honors PNB because her first year marks were too low.

So that means that first year im psych, and then i apply for a science based psych program in second year???
No, it means first year you're general life sci or soc sci, and then in second year you apply for whatever you want, provided you meet the course requirements. If you're looking for science-based, you should do life sci in first year.

davied says thanks to nerual for this post.

davied likes this.