MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

2nd year kin

Old 06-09-2010 at 06:47 PM   #1
ecoghlan

Liked: 2 Times

2nd year kin
are the second year courses a lot harder than the first? i heard there was a huge gap in the learning curve, is that true?
Old 06-09-2010 at 06:49 PM   #2
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

This question is very subjective and it depends on your background and your ability to understand and grasp concepts. If you did well in your first year and understood the required material, then I dont see why you shouldn't do well in your second year...
Old 06-10-2010 at 01:10 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I actually did better in second year than in first year, but like Manu said, it's all subjective.
Old 06-10-2010 at 01:58 PM   #4
sunny

Liked: Liked 6 Times

2nd year kin was ALOT better than than 1st year. I hated first yr kin so much, that I almost decided to switch into bio. But I decided to stick with the program, and it was a wise decision on my part. Trust me, the courses are not exactly easy, but are much more interesting than the 1st year courses. First year kin should have prepared you well on how to study for these courses.Midterms and exam were multiple choice for the most part, very conceptual though. Here's how I'd rank the courses based on easiness (and personal interest):

Neuromuscular ex.phys.
Cardiorespiratory ex. phys.
Human Growth
Health Psych
MSK anatomy (don't take this one lightly, it had a totally different format from first year A&P)
Biomechanics (easy course, class average was very high, but I hate physics)
Old 06-10-2010 at 05:59 PM   #5
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

I found 2nd year so much more interesting. MSK Anatomy definitely took the most work. There are weekly quizzes that involve memorizing the origin, insertion and action of 5 muscles word for word from the textbook, along with a few diagrams. The 2 video tests involve a series of photos showing a movement, with questions such as "What movement is occurring between slides A and B?" "What ligaments are stressed in slide C?" The exam has more memorizing, along with application questions. Even though it was a lot of work, it was VERY interesting, with a lot of hands on stuff.

Ranked in terms of easiness:

1. Biomechanics (I never took Grade 11 or 12 Physics, but still managed a high mark)
2. Health Psych
3. Growth
4. Cardio Ex Phys
5. Neuro Ex Phys
6. MSK

In terms of interest...

1. Neuro Ex. Phys
2. Growth
3. MSK
4. Cardio Ex. Phys
5. Health Psych
6. Biomechanics

2/3/4 were all very close interest-wise for me.