MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many hours a week do first year engineering students spend in class? yaroslav64 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 34 08-01-2011 06:30 PM
5 hours straight of class? dreamer21 Academics 23 06-18-2011 05:31 PM
6 hours straight of class mcmaster12 Academics 11 08-12-2010 11:17 AM
ECON 1B03, need to switch afternoon class for the morning class. Sintos Academics 3 01-06-2010 05:12 PM
Are backpacks allowed in class? jujumiste General Discussion 9 09-10-2009 01:34 PM

4 Hours of class allowed?

Old 01-07-2014 at 12:34 PM   #1
beyonce99

Liked: 0 Times

4 Hours of class allowed?
This may seem like a dumb question but I'm actually curious. One of the classes I am taking on the registrar is 3 hours of class (like most classes). It was originally a one hour tutorial, followed by a two hour night lecture. The prof just changed it so we have one hour tutorial, followed by a three hour night lecture. I'm just wondering if they are allowed to do this.
Old 01-07-2014 at 12:43 PM   #2
chrisA

Liked: 15 Times

Think of it this way, you get more hours of instruction for the same price!

Almost all of my classes are 3 lectures, 1 tutorial per week, it's not uncommon. It's definitely allowed, some courses have as many as 7 hours per week scheduled.

beyonce99 says thanks to chrisA for this post.
Old 01-07-2014 at 01:44 PM   #3
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Some classes have 3 hours of lecture/week + 1-2 hours of tutorial + 2-3 hours of lab, meaning 6-8 hours. So, yes it is allowed. Why would it not be? It's not like work, where the place would benefit from your being there and so can only require so much of you.
Old 01-07-2014 at 02:38 PM   #4
beyonce99

I didn't think it was allowed because ORIGINALLY the registrar only had 3 hours and I didn't know if the prof had the authority to change the length of a predetermined class time.
Old 01-07-2014 at 03:05 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

It's the prof who tells the registrar in the first place how many hours the class will be.

Typically it wouldn't be changed if the time isn't blocked on your timetable, but because there are no other classes running from 9-10 then there's no chance of a conflict with other courses.
Old 01-07-2014 at 04:23 PM   #6
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyonce99 View Post
I didn't think it was allowed because ORIGINALLY the registrar only had 3 hours and I didn't know if the prof had the authority to change the length of a predetermined class time.
Sometimes the registrar messes up. One of my courses was shown to have only 2 hours of lecture per week, but the prof said there was 1 more hour on a different day and there had been a mixup somewhere.
Old 01-07-2014 at 08:08 PM   #7
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

night classes are typically 3 hours in any case
Old 01-08-2014 at 01:16 AM   #8
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyonce99 View Post
This may seem like a dumb question but I'm actually curious. One of the classes I am taking on the registrar is 3 hours of class (like most classes). It was originally a one hour tutorial, followed by a two hour night lecture. The prof just changed it so we have one hour tutorial, followed by a three hour night lecture. I'm just wondering if they are allowed to do this.
I think Beyonce is referring to having four CONSECUTIVE class hours for the same class (1 hr tut + 3 hr core). I'm not sure about that.
Old 01-08-2014 at 06:58 AM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alomar12 View Post
I think Beyonce is referring to having four CONSECUTIVE class hours for the same class (1 hr tut + 3 hr core). I'm not sure about that.
That's definitely allowed. You're allowed to have 4 hours of lab for the same course (which is allowed to run consecutively with other courses, resulting in 6-7 hour nonstop blocks), why not 4 hours of class? At least with 4 hours of class, you'll get a couple of breaks.
Old 01-08-2014 at 12:34 PM   #10
monachima505

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
That's definitely allowed. You're allowed to have 4 hours of lab for the same course (which is allowed to run consecutively with other courses, resulting in 6-7 hour nonstop blocks), why not 4 hours of class? At least with 4 hours of class, you'll get a couple of breaks.
True, I know a third year course whose classes run 1 hour weekly for the term and three Saturdays 9AM-4PM.