MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you do just 4 courses per term? Alexmahone Academics 5 01-24-2013 04:38 PM
7 courses in a term gingybb Academics 12 11-21-2012 09:26 PM
Term Three Courses lizziepizzie Academics 3 05-29-2011 03:59 PM
Will the first term courses be offered in second term too? nanaaoyama First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-04-2010 10:37 PM
Term 3 Courses MrSmith Academics 8 06-16-2009 12:12 AM

8 courses in a term

Old 03-24-2014 at 09:16 AM   #1
kakarot

Liked: 6 Times

8 courses in a term
So if you're not in your final year and you wanna take 8 courses (24units) in a term , is that possible?
If yes, how hard it would be and would you recommend it?
I am in eng(software 2nd yr) and have a decent 9ish SA. thanks for your responses !
Old 03-24-2014 at 09:21 AM   #2
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

You might wanna email the academic adviser.

Also assuming you are gonna have 24 units in one term and 18 in the next one (or previous one, whatever) that year, they will add up and be over the unit limit of your program, which means you will be paying extra for each extra unit.

But I suggest you buy a bar of soap and a rope, it will have the same effect as taking 8 courses in one term.
Old 03-24-2014 at 09:25 AM   #3
kakarot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
You might wanna email the academic adviser.

But I suggest you buy a bar of soap and a rope, it will have the same effect as taking 8 courses in one term.
I did and they seemed too busy/told me to wait until the session ends n see the results first.
Just wanted to know if anyone has ever took so many courses and done reasonably well(8-9sa).
Old 03-24-2014 at 09:39 AM   #4
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Depends on what the courses are. I know that in software engineering a lot of courses are just lectures, some only have 2 lectures per week. So I guess in terms of timetable space you will be set. Now you must understand that some courses might overlap, and there's a good chance they will and you won't be able to take them all. Now in terms of doing well, I personally wouldn't suggest taking 8 courses. It will suck. I mean people in other engineerings hate it when they have 6 courses because it often hits the average. But you take 8, so... yeah... draw your own conclusions.

Might I ask why you want to take 8 courses?
Old 03-24-2014 at 09:39 AM   #5
mythbuster06

Liked: 1 Time

To be honest, that sounds like an absolute nightmare. Especially in 4th year, because you'll be dealing with your capstone project and possibly applying to full-time positions for when you graduate.

I have friends who have had to take 7 courses in a term (to compensate for having taken only 5 in the other term). It's exceptionally rough, even if one of those courses was an elective.

I'd recommend taking summer school (or an online course over the summer) instead of doing 8 courses in one term.

kakarot says thanks to mythbuster06 for this post.
Old 03-24-2014 at 11:08 AM   #6
quinta

Liked: 18 Times

I took 7 courses in my first term of first year, it really sucked. Then again I slacked quite a bit lol
Good Luck if it works out!
Old 03-24-2014 at 11:30 AM   #7
kakarot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
Depends on what the courses are. I know that in software engineering a lot of courses are just lectures, some only have 2 lectures per week. So I guess in terms of timetable space you will be set. Now you must understand that some courses might overlap, and there's a good chance they will and you won't be able to take them all. Now in terms of doing well, I personally wouldn't suggest taking 8 courses. It will suck. I mean people in other engineerings hate it when they have 6 courses because it often hits the average. But you take 8, so... yeah... draw your own conclusions.

Might I ask why you want to take 8 courses?
I am a couple short . didn't take electives in 1st year and I don't wish to spend summer in school
Old 03-24-2014 at 12:16 PM   #8
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Quote:
I am a couple short . didn't take electives in 1st year and I don't wish to spend summer in school.
Alright, so I just sat an a crapper and read the student calendar, and as it turns out software engineering students take 11 courses in year 2 and 3. So you should be able to take them then. Seeing how you are 2nd year and it's too late for that now, I suggest taking one course in the summer now, and add another one to your schedule for next year. Just take something easy. But I still suggest taking an appointment with academic advisor.
Old 03-24-2014 at 03:28 PM   #9
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

I would highly advise against it. I know that if one wants to overload (and they aren't in 4th year), then they have to have at least an 8.0 average, but 8 courses is honestly just not realistic if you want to do well in all.

Old 03-25-2014 at 06:24 AM   #10
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

thats pretty rough man, but then again some courses in software barely require you to even show up to class (according to my room mate).

also theres a hard-cap of 40 units per year that is unavoidable, how many units would you have second term?
Old 03-25-2014 at 06:57 AM   #11
kakarot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
I would highly advise against it. I know that if one wants to overload (and they aren't in 4th year), then they have to have at least an 8.0 average, but 8 courses is honestly just not realistic if you want to do well in all.
I know it'll be extremely hard but i figure i'll give it a shot anyways. Not really looking for a social life plus i could always go for a crazy fri night at 1280 or someplace.
Do you happen to know if there's a cap on the number of courses you can overload? assuming you have the 8..
Old 03-25-2014 at 07:01 AM   #12
kakarot

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
thats pretty rough man, but then again some courses in software barely require you to even show up to class (according to my room mate).

also theres a hard-cap of 40 units per year that is unavoidable, how many units would you have second term?
yeah guess you're right about that 40 unit cap but i figure i could overload with permission. I would have the regular 15-18 units in 2nd term.
yeah , i'm also assuming software would be the easiest to maintain a decent gpa+i really love coding lol
Old 03-25-2014 at 07:24 PM   #13
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

My worst time in school was with 7 courses. Ended up with a decent GPA, but even then, if you don't know what you are getting into, its rough. Having 2-3 midterms a week for weeks on end + assignments/group projects is painful. If its purely 2 midterms/exams its doable to get a perfectly fine grade, or projects/midterm/exam. Group projects will sink you incredibly quickly.
Old 03-25-2014 at 08:33 PM   #14
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot View Post
yeah guess you're right about that 40 unit cap but i figure i could overload with permission. I would have the regular 15-18 units in 2nd term.
yeah , i'm also assuming software would be the easiest to maintain a decent gpa+i really love coding lol
i honestly dont think you can, 30 is the "cap" and you overload past that. this topic came up when i was talking with a prof, he told me you cannot go past 40. faculties fiddle with the units in programs to stay at 40 on the dot for a reason
Old 03-25-2014 at 10:41 PM   #15
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
i honestly dont think you can, 30 is the "cap" and you overload past that. this topic came up when i was talking with a prof, he told me you cannot go past 40. faculties fiddle with the units in programs to stay at 40 on the dot for a reason
You can indeed take over 40 in engineering. Biomedical and Phys students do it on occasion (usually only 41 units though)