MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help: Change Term 2 courses? luxhydrus Academics 2 10-21-2010 09:38 PM
Will the first term courses be offered in second term too? nanaaoyama First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-04-2010 10:37 PM
Term II Courses: Add/Drop Goce Academics 2 12-21-2009 09:12 AM
Term 3 Courses MrSmith Academics 8 06-16-2009 12:12 AM
Switching my Second Term Courses RoyK First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 11-05-2008 04:02 PM

Term Three Courses

Old 05-29-2011 at 02:56 PM   #1
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Term Three Courses
Hey guys,

I was wondering how term three courses work. Do you have two midterms and two exams? Do you get a grade posted at the end of semester one even though you're only halfway through the course? Is the final grade an average of the first semester grade and the second semester grade? Do you have the same TA first and second semester? And, if you hate the class by the end of the first semester, can you drop out and still get 3 credits for completing the first term?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2011 at 03:16 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Hey guys,

I was wondering how term three courses work. Do you have two midterms and two exams? Do you get a grade posted at the end of semester one even though you're only halfway through the course? Is the final grade an average of the first semester grade and the second semester grade? Do you have the same TA first and second semester? And, if you hate the class by the end of the first semester, can you drop out and still get 3 credits for completing the first term?

Thanks!
When I took French 1A06 in first year, we had a midterm during the December exam period and marks showed up on SOLAR as an "interim grade" (It's the third column in "grade reports" after Final grades and deferred grades). Oh and during the April exam period there was a final. The midterm was 15% and the final was 30% so it's not like it's an average or anything, it's basically a one-term course spread out over a longer time period, so there's no averaging or anything. My advice would be to keep up with it the entire 2 terms. I did well in first term, but my grades of second term brought down the average :(. Anyway... Also, you have the same TA's throughout, but some courses do switch, or you can speak to them about switching your tutorial if you have a conflict with another class or something. I know a few people who were able to do so. And sadly, no, you can't get the 3 credits for the course if you decide to drop it after first term. It's an all-or-none thing. It would just be counted as "dropped" in this case.

lizziepizzie says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 05-29-2011 at 03:38 PM   #3
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

So, the "exam" in the December exam period of first semester is really a midterm? So we don't have two midterms and two exams? Just one midterm and one exam over the whole year?
Old 05-29-2011 at 03:59 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
So, the "exam" in the December exam period of first semester is really a midterm? So we don't have two midterms and two exams? Just one midterm and one exam over the whole year?
Yep exactly, it's just a midterm in December with a final in April. We did have "tests" during midterm period (i.e. November and February), but those were 5% and that depends on the course in question, of course

lizziepizzie says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.