MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happens when you dont have academic requirements when registering on SOLAR MohamedSid Computers & Tech 2 06-23-2013 11:47 PM
Requirements for getting into third year jessica777 Academics 1 01-05-2013 09:03 AM
Med school academic requirements question Anon_Failure Academics 11 01-05-2011 09:26 AM
Year 2 Requirements Moghue Academics 4 10-27-2010 06:55 PM
Year One Requirements? Jeger First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-07-2010 04:40 PM

Academic requirements for each year?

Old 06-26-2013 at 09:10 PM   #1
GYalstj

Liked: 1 Time

Academic requirements for each year?
Hi, I'm in the humanities faculty, going for multimedia.
I am fully aware that the requirements for first years is to complete 30 units in total for the year, to move on to the second year.

This may sound like a stupid question, but my question is, what about the other upper years? In the second, third and fourth year, do they have requirements of completing certain amount of units? I'm just curious to know. Thanks for the help
Old 06-26-2013 at 09:43 PM   #2
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Whenever you have questions regarding courses/requirements/etc. then always consult the course calendar. the current one is at http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...-14/index.html

Find your program. It should tell you exactly what you need.
Old 06-26-2013 at 09:44 PM   #3
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Here is the list from the Registrar's office with all of the required courses you will take at each level: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...13/pg1425.html
Old 06-26-2013 at 10:36 PM   #4
GYalstj

What exactly is the Course list?
In the picture you see there's course list 1 and course list 2.. I don't really understand what they are showing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg course list.JPG (48.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-26-2013 at 10:42 PM   #5
RiskBreaker

Liked: 5 Times

Did you see the START video? It should explain course selection and the anatomy of course codes for your section as it did for me. I was completely lost before I came across it.

I believe here is the link; http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass...ents/114-start

-All the best,
Old 06-26-2013 at 11:14 PM   #6
GYalstj

Thanks, it looks very helpful, but I'm going for multimedia in humanities, plus I'm questioning more about the upper years.. thank you though!
Old 06-26-2013 at 11:47 PM   #7
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 165 Times

you don't have to take a certain amount of courses each year, but there are certain courses that you have to take in order to graduate from your program. So you can take all elective courses in second year, but in 3rd year, you would have to take the required second year courses plus required third year courses... do you get what I mean? It's not about what or how many courses you have to take each year, but the overall result. (So for example: in order to graduate, you need courses: 2y03, 2xx3, 3h03, etc..) as long as you have all those, and can keep up with the cutoff averages to continue in your program, you're good. p.s. at the end of first year, when you choose your major, the program requirements will show up on degree audit.

GYalstj says thanks to SweetyTweety for this post.

GYalstj likes this.
Old 06-27-2013 at 12:24 AM   #8
GYalstj

Thank you!! That was very helpful! wow, it makes much better sense to me now. I appreciate it!
Old 06-27-2013 at 05:30 PM   #9
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

And for your program you have to take 5 courses from Course List 1 and two from Course List 2.