MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
requirements for med school kwyhan Academics 3 09-14-2010 10:58 PM
Program Requirements... Toast Academics 1 06-14-2010 02:28 AM
Humanities/Soc Sci Requirements etoilex3 Academics 5 06-13-2010 09:37 PM
course requirements for med school nadia1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-07-2009 02:35 PM
What are the requirements for becomng a TA? jangh2 Academics 9 12-24-2008 08:30 AM

Year One Requirements?

Old 06-06-2010 at 02:11 PM   #1
Jeger

Liked: 2 Times

Year One Requirements?
I will be a first year student at McMaster this fall in the Social Sciences program. I've found the undergrad timetable listing available courses, and I know in the SS program you can major in fields ranging from Anthro to Sociology, but I am having a terrible time finding which courses are required / how many credits I need in what subjects. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be a huge help. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-2010 at 02:15 PM   #2
Kira

Liked: 3 Times

Hey,
This is what I found:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1670.html

Hope that helps

Jeger likes this.
Old 06-06-2010 at 10:57 PM   #3
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeger View Post
I will be a first year student at McMaster this fall in the Social Sciences program. I've found the undergrad timetable listing available courses, and I know in the SS program you can major in fields ranging from Anthro to Sociology, but I am having a terrible time finding which courses are required / how many credits I need in what subjects. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be a huge help. Thanks in advance!
Soc Sci level 1 is pretty straight forward. 12 units of courses from the course list, and 18 units of anything else you meet the prerequisites for, from any faculty. Just make sure to look at the required courses for your intended major to make sure you fit them in there somewhere. Do you know what you want to major in yet?
Old 06-06-2010 at 11:00 PM   #4
TeleKey

Liked: 0 Times

Quick Questions about First Year courses
For Math 1A03 when they give you a core - say C01
Will they give you Tutorial T01 or can it be T02 or T03???

On SOLAR, do you actually pick what core you want?

Thanks ~
Old 06-06-2010 at 11:03 PM   #5
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleKey View Post

Thanks ~
On SOLAR you can pick whatever core and tutorial works best for you. Assuming of course, that SOLAR works, which is always questionable.
Old 06-06-2010 at 11:03 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:

Thanks ~
You pick which ever core and tutorial you want, doesn't have to be C01 and T01. When SOLAR opens for the first time, you only pick which courses you want not cores and tutorials. But after the computer generates a timetable for you, you can go and move around the cores and tutorials to ones that you prefer.
Old 06-06-2010 at 11:08 PM   #7
TeleKey

Liked: 0 Times

O so when SOLAR opens all you do is pick the courses you want and then they will just give you whatever and then you move stuff around ...right? So on June 27th - i think - we're all going to just compete to get ADMITTED into a course?

So when we get to rearrange we get ALL the options right for that certain course? Like all the cores/tutorials/ labs/ and stuff not just certain ones the system throws out at you ??

Thanks ~
Old 06-06-2010 at 11:17 PM   #8
Kira

Liked: 3 Times

You pretty much got it. You pick what courses you want. SOLAR will produce a time table that works for you, and then you get to change stuff around (core, tutorials and labs). Ofcourse, you can only switch if there is space left in the sections you want.
Old 06-06-2010 at 11:20 PM   #9
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
O so when SOLAR opens all you do is pick the courses you want and then they will just give you whatever and then you move stuff around ...right? So on June 27th - i think - we're all going to just compete to get ADMITTED into a course?

So when we get to rearrange we get ALL the options right for that certain course? Like all the cores/tutorials/ labs/ and stuff not just certain ones the system throws out at you ??

Thanks ~
It reopens about 2 weeks after it closes, so approximately August 10th. I think the exact date is posted on here somewhere, but Ill have to look for it.

EDIT: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...7.html?t=28077

Last edited by reeves : 06-06-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-07-2010 at 10:05 AM   #10
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
On SOLAR you can pick whatever core and tutorial works best for you. Assuming of course, that SOLAR works, which is always questionable.
LMFAO. Well said.
Old 06-07-2010 at 03:29 PM   #11
Jeger

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Soc Sci level 1 is pretty straight forward. 12 units of courses from the course list, and 18 units of anything else you meet the prerequisites for, from any faculty. Just make sure to look at the required courses for your intended major to make sure you fit them in there somewhere. Do you know what you want to major in yet?
I believe Sociology, but I am tentative on that. Know where I can find required courses for that major?
Old 06-07-2010 at 04:40 PM   #12
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeger View Post
I believe Sociology, but I am tentative on that. Know where I can find required courses for that major?
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALENDAR/current/pg1745.html

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)