MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accelerated Nursing Help! remo12 Academics 6 08-26-2012 10:56 PM
Accelerated Nursing 2014 Mz.Morra13 Academics 2 04-16-2012 01:18 PM
Accelerated Nursing Program Apples555 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 04-12-2012 04:56 PM
Accelerated Nursing urbski Academics 7 09-09-2011 01:20 PM
Accelerated Nursing Question bernas3 Academics 9 04-29-2011 05:33 PM

Accelerated Nursing: What to expect

Old 04-18-2013 at 12:27 PM   #1
lifesci09

Liked: 2 Times

Accelerated Nursing: What to expect
Hello,
I am debating between Mac's two year program and Humber's two year program. I heard that Mac's PBL is very self-directed in the sense that there aren't formal lectures and you pretty much have to teach yourself most of it. I was wondering if this was true, hopefully someone in the nursing program can help share some insight? Do you find that you are still able to acquire the same skills as students from other nursing programs?
Any help would be great! Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013 at 12:48 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

I'm not in the nursing program, but PBL's effectiveness really depends on your learning style. Some people find it highly effective and find they learn much better that way, others have the opposite experience/opinion.
Old 04-18-2013 at 06:05 PM   #3
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

I'm just finishing up my first year of the accelerated program.
Here's how PBL works:
- they give you a "Case scenario", which is a video covering a certain topic, like smoking, depression, or pregnancy. There will be assigned reading that you're expected to complete prior to the scenario. You will spend 2-3 classes on each scenario. In class, you'll watch the video, discuss what information you can take from the scenario, and then ask the tutor for the patient's "chart data" that she has - this helps you practice history taking. You'll also integrate your skills from patho, and the modules usually line up with what scenario you're doing.

Skills-wise, I have learned so much in the past year. But prepared to learn them, and learn them
quick. You will have to practice on your own, and you will feel overwhelmed at some point or other.

And just a quick.."warning" of sorts..I was told that this program was difficult (not content wise, but just the amount of work), but I didnt think it would be THIS hard. It is a lot of work, you will be overwhelmed, you will probably have some sort of break down at some point, and you will be frustrated. But you will also realize why you came into the profession, and be glad that you only have to endure it for 2 years, instead of the whole 4. By the end of first semester you become more used to PBL and not having lectures. PM me if you have more questions

blue15 likes this.