MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Access Codes for Text Books; Necessary or not? SCI1styear First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-25-2013 08:52 PM
Who Knows About Access Codes? beebee2 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-07-2012 08:15 PM
Access Codes Lily88 Academics 9 08-29-2012 11:52 AM
access codes ricechrispy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-29-2011 02:19 PM
Pin Codes ? ruby101 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-13-2010 01:33 PM

access codes in lifesci 1

Old 09-02-2014 at 09:20 PM   #1
tardris

Liked: 0 Times

access codes in lifesci 1
Do I atually need the online access codes for any of my lifesci courses?? I heard they're just extra problems...

chem 1a03
math 1a03
Old 09-05-2014 at 01:19 PM   #2
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Yes you do. The problems are optional (that may have changed since I took the course) but are worth a significant amount (10-20%) and will typically result in a much high grade than tests or other coursework. With every science program except Honours Chem & Honours Life Sci being competitive, you need every grade pont you can get. Extremely worth it.
Old 09-05-2014 at 04:47 PM   #3
cudizOne

Liked: 2 Times

I don't know about math 1a03, but for chem 1a03 you don't NEED it. It's optional and some people really benefit from it. But you won't lose marks if you don't have it.
Old 09-05-2014 at 10:43 PM   #4
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudizOne View Post
I don't know about math 1a03, but for chem 1a03 you don't NEED it. It's optional and some people really benefit from it. But you won't lose marks if you don't have it.
Quite frankly, that's bad advice. You will lose marks though. It makes your exam worth more. In my year the problem set average was 97.28% and the exam was 63.4%. The exam was worth 35. 63.4% on 41 is 25.994/41.

The numbers with both gives (0.9728*6 = 5.8368) + (0.634*35 = 22.19). That's a total of 28.0268/41. That's an increase of 2.0328, which would be nearly guaranteed to push you into the next grade point (B- to B, for example) and depending on the rounding scheme may net you two (B-to B+). Limited enrollment programs (in the non-physical sciences, every one except the two I mentioned previously) are, in fact, limited. People have missed out on a program by 0.1 on their cumulative average (one grade point - B+ vs. B for example - in ONE course).

If you are willing to invest the time and money for an education that is going to cost ~$15K/year and ~60 hours per week, the SHORT time and low cost (the packages for math and chem will cost less than quarter of one 3-unit (one term) course COMBINED) shouldn't be prohibitive. If it is, you really need to consider if you can actually afford and/or are interested in an education.