MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Understanding timetable codes Limbacker First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-19-2010 07:19 PM
Course Codes Milka Academics 7 06-27-2010 04:14 AM
Course Codes holagurrl Academics 31 06-12-2009 11:38 AM
Missing Course Codes Hiraiyomi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-31-2008 05:17 PM

Pin Codes ?

Old 08-13-2010 at 09:27 AM   #1
ruby101

Liked: 5 Times

Pin Codes ?
I'm first year student. I saw some textbooks include Pin codes ? So can anyone tell me what's Pin Codes ? I have to buy a new one or I can buy used one ? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2010 at 10:06 AM   #2
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby101 View Post
I'm first year student. I saw some textbooks include Pin codes ? So can anyone tell me what's Pin Codes ? I have to buy a new one or I can buy used one ? Thanks in advance.
Where did you see the pin code thing?

First year calculus once had a pin code for accessing a software or something for assignments, so students were supposed to buy new textbooks so that they would have a brand new unused pin code. However, that was eventually scrapped, as the prof just gave us all one class pincode that we could use to get in -_-.
Old 08-13-2010 at 11:52 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh999 View Post
Where did you see the pin code thing?

First year calculus once had a pin code for accessing a software or something for assignments, so students were supposed to buy new textbooks so that they would have a brand new unused pin code. However, that was eventually scrapped, as the prof just gave us all one class pincode that we could use to get in -_-.
I got the book for free from my cousin and I just bought the pin code online :\
Old 08-13-2010 at 01:25 PM   #4
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
The pin code just allows access to additional study material. For example, one textbook I had gave me access to mock quizzes/tests, digital copy of the textbook, and solutions to end of chapter questions. I never really used it though. Just so much extra stuff, never really had time. If the pin code includes this type of stuff then I suggest just get a used copy of that textbook.

There are also times when the pin code is actually required but the professor will explicitly tell you that it is needed. One example is ECON 1BB3 where you have to use the pin code to access online quizzes which are marked. You can also just buy it separately from the textbook too.

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 08-13-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2010 at 01:31 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:

There arn't any used pin codes available for purcase because they're used to make an account on whatever website the textbook is associated with.. if you buy you texts used from a student, you should ask them if they have their account details.

If you buy used from the bookstore sometimes there are unused codes in the front or back cover, but almost always they've been taken (as well as the CD if one is included), so be sure to check through a couple of books to see if there are any that a student forgot in there

Masteringbio is a really good one (bio 1a03) and you should get it if you can.
Old 08-13-2010 at 01:31 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
The pin code just allows access to additional study material. For example, one textbook I had gave me access to mock quizzes/tests, digital copy of the textbook, and solutions to end of chapter questions. I never really used it though. Just so much extra stuff, never really had time.
For Math 1A03/1AA3 in 08/09, the pin was required to complete assignments that were marked.
Old 08-13-2010 at 01:33 PM   #7
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
For Math 1A03/1AA3 in 08/09, the pin was required to complete assignments that were marked.
Ya I was editing for that lol.

jhan523 likes this.