MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extenuating Circumstances Ewmiddleton General Discussion 3 04-29-2014 03:26 AM
Letter of extenuating circumstances MoyashiSerena First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 02-22-2014 11:29 AM
academic appeal? thebeetles Academics 2 05-28-2013 05:26 PM
appeal information camelsrfun Academics 2 04-09-2013 01:50 AM

acedemic extenuating circumstances appeal

Old 05-23-2014 at 08:20 PM   #1
Nadali25

Liked: 0 Times

acedemic extenuating circumstances appeal
Hi
I am a first year student in bcom trying to get into second year...my GPA was just shy of some points to hit the minimum....I wanna know if anybody has ever filed for extenuating circumstances before and was approved to stay in the business faculty
Old 05-24-2014 at 11:58 AM   #2
jaywa
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 9 Times

Not sure about business but I've seen people do it in other faculties. You would basically be allowed in your program but then be reassessed like usual at the end of the next year, and at that point your grades would have to meet the cutoff. If you aren't allowed into business just go into econ or something for a year and continue taking whatever courses are still available to you from business. Who knows, you might actually like the change And you can always reapply to re-enter business again after a year in a different program, although you might have to enter as level 2.

Nadali25 says thanks to jaywa for this post.
Old 05-24-2014 at 04:27 PM   #3
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadali25 View Post
Hi
I am a first year student in bcom trying to get into second year...my GPA was just shy of some points to hit the minimum....I wanna know if anybody has ever filed for extenuating circumstances before and was approved to stay in the business faculty
Won'e hurt to try, also much like what above said, you should take Econ Major as backup as you can still work in banks and reapply for entry into business.

Nadali25 says thanks to allanandthera for this post.
Old 05-25-2014 at 04:55 PM   #4
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Going into econ because you don't meet the prereqs for commerce is a terrible idea unless you're actually interested in econ.

Economics has a LOT to offer as a discipline, but it isn't "commerce lite" or anything like that just because commerce kids take a few econ classes. It's a social science, and although I find it incredibly interesting, most people find it quite dry (especially the required theory classes). My classes were full of ex-commies who hated every second of it.

If you don't make it into commerce, do yourself a favour and go into something you enjoy.

Nadali25 says thanks to Kudos for this post.
Old 05-25-2014 at 05:20 PM   #5
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
Going into econ because you don't meet the prereqs for commerce is a terrible idea unless you're actually interested in econ.

Economics has a LOT to offer as a discipline, but it isn't "commerce lite" or anything like that just because commerce kids take a few econ classes. It's a social science, and although I find it incredibly interesting, most people find it quite dry (especially the required theory classes). My classes were full of ex-commies who hated every second of it.

If you don't make it into commerce, do yourself a favour and go into something you enjoy.
I totally agree that Economics is not just a run down Commerce program. Economics is really heavy on Math and personally I would have gone into Econ if it was a BSC instead of a BA or atleast a B.Comm.

However, Econ does allow you to have similar potential careers to Commerce students. You can still work at banks, investment firms and anything business related minus Accounting. B.Comm students who are kicked should definitely choose Econ as an alternative.

Nadali25 says thanks to allanandthera for this post.