MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Returning Textbook at Titles The MACster General Discussion 11 10-01-2011 07:44 AM
Textbook Editions No longer posted on Titles!!! BuzzZero Academics 19 09-06-2010 07:21 PM

Actual textbook titles

Old 08-26-2014 at 11:41 AM   #1
vick1211

Liked: 0 Times

Actual textbook titles
Is there any to find the actual textbook titles for my courses? For examples 1ZA3 C03 lists the textbook as "PKG: CALCULUS W/ SINGLE & MULTI SSM, MAPLE 18 & CALC LABS" which is practically gibberish to me. Can anyone break this down for me?
Old 08-26-2014 at 12:00 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

It's a package with a bunch of things in it. For example, Maple 18 is a computer program. It will make much more sense when you actually see it, and when you attend your first class.
Old 08-26-2014 at 12:14 PM   #3
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

yah that seems odd. They thru it together in a bundle. The bundle may include the text book, soln mnls and Maple (what ever version ... most useless piece of software that i barely used only in first year)

If you are wondering about the book...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=stewa...1680&bih=9 20
Old 08-26-2014 at 04:28 PM   #4
Farhaan

Liked: Liked 8 Times

If I recall correctly, clicking the "Required" hyperlink on the text "This item is Required and is located in the Main Store" should bring up more info. about the book. But let's break it down:

PKG: Package containing...
CALCULUS: "Single Variable Calculus: Early Transcendentals" 7E by James Stewart
W/ SINGLE & MULTI SSM: SSM = "Selected Solutions Manual" for the textbook (not sure what "SINGLE & MULTI" means)...
MAPLE 18: Software used in 1ZA3; Available on the library computers for free...
CALC LABS: Access to an optional on-line homework, grading tool, WebAssign (when I was taking the course two years ago, you could opt out of WebAssign and the weight would be shifted to your midterm / final exam); here's an example of what it looks like: http://demo.webassign.net/web/Studen...last?dep=2061; I don't believe WebAssign is sold separately

After you've gone through the course outline on your first day of class and if you feel that you won't benefit from WebAssign, I'm selling the required textbook, selected solutions manual and a reference guide for Maple for $115.
Old 08-26-2014 at 08:08 PM   #5
vick1211

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhaan View Post
If I recall correctly, clicking the "Required" hyperlink on the text "This item is Required and is located in the Main Store" should bring up more info. about the book.
Yeah, that doesn't work and the popup is just a 404 page. Is the general recommendation to wait until the first day and check out the outline before purchasing? I figured I would just find the PDF's online but the packages seem useful

EDIT: Since I don't want to make a new thread could someone also break down what the following means?

For ECON 1BB3:
PKG: PRINCIPLES OF MACRO 6E, SG, APLIA (6MTHS)

For PHYSICS 1B03:
PKG: PHYSICS FOR SCIENTISTS & ENGINEERS W/ 2 X SSM

Last edited by vick1211 : 08-26-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-26-2014 at 09:28 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vick1211 View Post
Yeah, that doesn't work and the popup is just a 404 page. Is the general recommendation to wait until the first day and check out the outline before purchasing? I figured I would just find the PDF's online but the packages seem useful

EDIT: Since I don't want to make a new thread could someone also break down what the following means?

For ECON 1BB3:
PKG: PRINCIPLES OF MACRO 6E, SG, APLIA (6MTHS)

For PHYSICS 1B03:
PKG: PHYSICS FOR SCIENTISTS & ENGINEERS W/ 2 X SSM
Yes, you should always wait until the first day of classes before buying books - maybe even wait a week or so if you can get away with it. Just because a book is "required", that doesn't mean you actually need it.

There is a legend at the bottom of the page, which says that PKG = package. for econ, the book is principles of macroecon 6th edition, and it includes a study guide (I think that's what SG means but I could be wrong) and 6 months of aplia.

And the physics one is a package containing physics for scientists and engineers with two select solutions manuals (again, if that's what SSM means).

You really don't need to worry about this - the details of how the title shows up online really aren't important.
Old 08-30-2014 at 01:53 PM   #7
YashsWay

Liked: 1 Time

The best way to check names is to go in store and check.
Also, buy used textbook. Store textbooks are expensive.
(Check the marketplace for 1st year textbooks)