MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence Admission Average? DMe3 Residence & Housing 1 06-14-2010 11:35 AM
3.8 Average JakeWill Academics 7 06-04-2010 10:34 PM
Average for 3rd year njd123 Academics 6 05-30-2010 05:50 PM
McMaster nursing 2010 admission average?! If you have been accepted...please answer! memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-24-2010 03:25 PM
4.0 average wonnamp Financial Aid 36 02-01-2010 01:11 AM

Admission Cut Off Average

Old 02-28-2008 at 01:40 PM   #16
Daisydawne18

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks Stan. -- yes the Mac website
Old 02-28-2008 at 01:55 PM   #17
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Ah.

Knowing Mac, yes...but...probably in July or August.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-28-2008 at 08:15 PM   #18
Aestas

I received an email about Mac's admission process about two weeks ago (Feb 15 to be exact), and they linked me to another set of admissions cutoffs. These cutoffs are higher than the ones listed on their website. Are these new cutoffs based on the strength of this year's applicant pools? If not, what are these new cutoffs and why are they different/higher than the one posted on the website?

PS. I'm a bit worried because I'm just barely above the new cutoffs for engineering. I don't think i can make it because I'm applying with an 83.7% (new upper cutoff is 82)

Last edited by Aestas : 02-28-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2008 at 08:18 PM   #19
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Maybe?

Unfortunately without showing us what you're talking about we can't really say.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-28-2008 at 08:24 PM   #20
Aestas

Here is the ecard they sent me:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /ecard/
Old 02-28-2008 at 09:31 PM   #21
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

You're above the range listed, so it looks like you should be okay, according to this data.

However, we don't know the actual grades of students who have already applied, nor do we know when this website was updated.

I was in the middle of the average when I applied, and I got in...and that was several years ago when there were less spots.

Old 03-02-2008 at 12:22 AM   #22
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestas View Post
Here is the ecard they sent me:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /ecard/
After taking a look at the e-card, the ranges table has the title "Estimated Cut-off Range". Since they use the word "estimated", I'm assuming these numbers aren't set it stone, or based on actual application data from this year. Instead, it appears that they've taken last year's actual numbers (which you've found on the McMaster website), and increased them slightly to what they think will be the new numbers this year.

I've contacted one of the Liaison Officers that I know to see if they can help you guys out, and I'll post the answer I get up here once I hear back from them, or they may post the answer in this thread themselves.

If in doubt, you can always send a message to the e-mail that they've included in the E-Card, but I'm not sure how long it'll take to get an answer, or who the e-mail goes to:
Quote:
Should you still have questions, please contact us at: [email protected]
Old 03-03-2008 at 01:45 PM   #23
pjohnson
Liaison Officer - Registrar's Office

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
And the number of applicants to Mac have gone up...there was something like 80 000 this year, apparently.

Anywhoo, best of luck.
There were actually only 33,000 (approximately) applications to McMaster from Ontario High School students which is not much higher than last year overall. Each level I program determines their admission average or 'cut-off' based on the number of applicants in a given year, the academic quality of those applicants and the number of offers needed to be made in order to ensure that the program meets its enrolment target. Keep in mind that you need to make more offers than you have spaces as each applicant has applied to multiple universities/programs and not all will say to an offer of admission from McMaster.
Old 03-03-2008 at 01:46 PM   #24
pjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
After taking a look at the e-card, the ranges table has the title "Estimated Cut-off Range". Since they use the word "estimated", I'm assuming these numbers aren't set it stone, or based on actual application data from this year. Instead, it appears that they've taken last year's actual numbers (which you've found on the McMaster website), and increased them slightly to what they think will be the new numbers this year.

I've contacted one of the Liaison Officers that I know to see if they can help you guys out, and I'll post the answer I get up here once I hear back from them, or they may post the answer in this thread themselves.

If in doubt, you can always send a message to the e-mail that they've included in the E-Card, but I'm not sure how long it'll take to get an answer, or who the e-mail goes to:
Chad,

You are right in that the information on the Admissions Update ecard that was recently distributed to all applicants is the most up-to-date information we have with regards to admission averages (cut-offs).
Old 03-03-2008 at 01:49 PM   #25
pjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

I should let everyone know that the [email protected] email address is checked daily (Monday-Friday) and we try to respond within one working day. So if you do have admissions related questions please feel free to direct them to that email address.
Old 03-03-2008 at 02:36 PM   #26
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohnson View Post
There were actually only 33,000 (approximately) applications to McMaster from Ontario High School students which is not much higher than last year overall. Each level I program determines their admission average or 'cut-off' based on the number of applicants in a given year, the academic quality of those applicants and the number of offers needed to be made in order to ensure that the program meets its enrolment target. Keep in mind that you need to make more offers than you have spaces as each applicant has applied to multiple universities/programs and not all will say to an offer of admission from McMaster.
Yeeah I mis-typed there; I had meant 30 000 and not 80 000.

But thanks for all of the info pjohnson!

Old 03-03-2008 at 07:00 PM   #27
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Thanks for all the great responses Paula!
Old 03-03-2008 at 09:09 PM   #28
Aestas

Thanks for the awesome responses! They were really helpful. I'm really excited because I just recently got an offer from Mac
Old 03-03-2008 at 09:22 PM   #29
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

What program/faculty are you going into Aestas?
Old 03-03-2008 at 10:55 PM   #30
Aestas

I've been accepted into Social Science and Engineering, but am still waiting for a decision for Med Rad Sci.

Likely if I don't get accepted into Med Rad Sci, I'll go to Engineering.