MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions regarding Application Process and Admissions to First Year Life/Health Sci Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-01-2012 01:02 PM
Prerequisites and Admissions - Life Science adam1993 General Discussion 4 03-11-2009 10:29 PM

Admissions for life science

Old 04-21-2013 at 11:20 AM   #1
sbarbs

Liked: 1 Time

Admissions for life science
What is the likely hood of getting accepted to mac Life Science with the following?

English- 90 (midterm)
Bio - 92 (midterm)
Calculus- 81 (midterm)
Religion- 91 (midterm)

Chem- 84 (final)
Kin - 91 (Final)

Total average - 88.16

I understand that the mac Life science average cutoff for many years was an 89, but for fall 2013 what is the likely hood that at the end of may they will lower the cut off by 1-2%?
Old 04-21-2013 at 11:39 AM   #2
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

No one, not even the admissions staff, let alone the students here can tell you what the final cut off will be for this year until the whole process is over. It changes depending on the number of students applying to the program as well as their averages. If it has been consistently 89 over the past few years, it probably will continue to be 89 or might increase even considering there's been more applicants to all programs with each year. Just try to get as high a mark as possible instead of hoping that they'll have a low admission grade.

starfish, Zebedee like this.
Old 04-21-2013 at 11:42 AM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Exactly. People keep posting their grades and asking if they'll get in, and there's no way for anyone to tell you.

This is the first I've heard of the life sci cutoff being around 89, though...so I'd seriously question whatever source you're using.
Old 04-21-2013 at 11:51 AM   #4
sbarbs

Ive based my assumptions from a couple of the forums ive read here...I was just wondering what were the possibilities because, correct me if I`m wrong, midterms are the last of what goes in that determines your admission. So there's not much effort I can put in anymore, I can only hope that the average is either not an 89 or that will lower it. I was questioning more the likely hood of mac lowering their admission requirements, for I heard a couple universities tend to do that near the end
Old 04-21-2013 at 11:58 AM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbs View Post
Ive based my assumptions from a couple of the forums ive read here...I was just wondering what were the possibilities because, correct me if I`m wrong, midterms are the last of what goes in that determines your admission. So there's not much effort I can put in anymore, I can only hope that the average is either not an 89 or that will lower it. I was questioning more the likely hood of mac lowering their admission requirements, for I heard a couple universities tend to do that near the end
The threads on here are all saying ~87 was the cutoff last year.

There is no lowering of admissions averages. The university doesn't pick a cutoff and go with it, they pick a certain number of people that they are going to accept, and then all the applicants are ranked from highest to lowest average, and then they'll start accepting people at the top of the list and work their way down until they've reached the number of people that they wanted to accept. And then whatever GPA that happens to be at is considered the "cutoff". That's why you're only told an approximate range for a cutoff, and why previous years' cutoffs aren't useful.

http://www.mcmaster.ca/avpira/cudo/2...20112012B.html

That link doesn't give information based on the program, so it's probably of no use to you - instead it's divided by faculty. Still interesting though.
Old 04-21-2013 at 08:48 PM   #6
Cryssylol

Liked: 0 Times

I'd say the minimum would probably be an 88, I got in during the first wave of acceptances with a 92 so 88-89 should be fine! In our letter, our grades weren't supposed to drop below an 84%, so you're above the actual 'cut off' as is.
Old 04-21-2013 at 09:03 PM   #7
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryssylol View Post
I'd say the minimum would probably be an 88, I got in during the first wave of acceptances with a 92 so 88-89 should be fine! In our letter, our grades weren't supposed to drop below an 84%, so you're above the actual 'cut off' as is.
The 84% that you're referring to is a conditional acceptance cutoff, not a cutoff used for admission. It has traditionally been lower than the actual acceptance cut off to allow students leniency with final exams. The admissions cut off is purely a competition number.
Old 04-23-2013 at 01:02 PM   #8
h9i9j9

Liked: 0 Times

I would say if you really want to come to mac, apply to the physical science I program. You essentially take the same courses and get to apply to the same programs in second year and as far as I am aware, the cutoff is much lower.
Old 04-23-2013 at 06:49 PM   #9
Mark Gich

Liked: 18 Times

well according to facebook last week, you won't have a good chance of getting into mac if you're not caucasian..

britb, VitaSoy like this.
Old 04-23-2013 at 07:34 PM   #10
sbarbs

Isn't that a bummer