MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B.Tech to a P.Eng? Lolisuck First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 05-24-2010 07:41 PM
B-Tech transfer sportsLover9 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 03-04-2010 08:43 PM
Mac Tech Tips Chad Technology 11 07-19-2009 01:39 AM
B.Tech :D insertname First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 06-30-2009 11:37 PM
Virginia Tech Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-17-2007 12:18 AM

Advanced Tech Question:

Old 10-28-2010 at 07:41 AM   #1
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Advanced Tech Question:
So I feel as if someone from software or comp. will be answering this question, but I welcome anyone...

I'm on cogeco (I don't thank that has to do with it, but maybe...), my router is the WRT54N, I'm connected via ethernet to the router. When I wake my computer from sleep, Windows 7 will "reconnect" to the router, and the status window in the bottom right tells my "Network 5 - Internet Connection" which should mean that it senses an internet connection (you would think). Opening the Network and Sharing center, that plain map it shows, tells me I'm connected as far as the router, but not to the internet. In order for me to get on the 'net after coming out of sleep mode, is to go:

cmd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

What is causing the issue?

I'm great with computers, but why I have to release and renew my connection information every time I wake the computer, it's beyond me...

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2010 at 10:58 AM   #2
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Just assign a static IP address and you'll be fine.
Old 10-28-2010 at 11:35 AM   #3
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Just assign a static IP address and you'll be fine.
yeah if you can assign yourself a static ip tied to your computers mac address you should be fine. but it could also be a problem with your router and cogeco, because it looks like your router is assigning you a local ip but not an external, almost as if it is not communicating with your isp and asking it for an external ip....but like commander said, try a static ip and see what happens

Old 10-28-2010 at 11:37 AM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Protip: DD-WRT or Tomato firmware.

temptingf8 likes this.
Old 10-28-2010 at 12:08 PM   #5
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

as for third-party firmware: It's a definite win but I don't feel like doing it to this router in particular... takes a bit of time to do it up right, and I don't totally own 100% of it. As for assigning a static IP, I'm assuming you mean Static, relative to the router... I'm not 100% sure how to do that, but google I would imagine, does?
Old 10-28-2010 at 01:34 PM   #6
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

How long is the DHCP lease time set on the router? Perhaps you're staying in sleep mode long enough to surpass the lease time and thus being forced to release / renew.

This sounds like a bug with your local network card driver, if you're using the one that came with windows 7, you may want to try looking for one on the vendor's website.