MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B-Tech transfer sportsLover9 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 03-04-2010 08:43 PM
Mac Tech Tips Chad Technology 11 07-19-2009 01:39 AM
B.Tech :D insertname First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 06-30-2009 11:37 PM
Virginia Tech Tribute Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-21-2007 03:37 PM
Virginia Tech Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-17-2007 12:18 AM

B.Tech to a P.Eng?

Old 05-22-2010 at 06:33 PM   #1
Lolisuck

Liked: 1 Time

B.Tech to a P.Eng?
If i went for a B.Tech degree for automotive and vehicle technology from Mac, will i be able to apply for a M.Eng or a P.Eng, even though i don't have a B.Eng and will i have to do anything extra to get a M.Eng or P.Eng?
Old 05-22-2010 at 07:12 PM   #2
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolisuck View Post
If i went for a B.Tech degree for automotive and vehicle technology from Mac, will i be able to apply for a M.Eng or a P.Eng, even though i don't have a B.Eng and will i have to do anything extra to get a M.Eng or P.Eng?
Hey,

So you're off to a decent start, but I'd definitely recommend not starting multiple topics here about the finer points of B. Tech and Engineering; just keep all your questions to one thread and someone will eventually answer them.

We're especially hostile towards questions like these since a poster who shall remain nameless is famous for asking the same questions over and over, and I'd rather not see someone else go down that path.

You can even see some of his other topics in the "similar threads" to your other one.

I'm not sure how M. Eng works, but I think you can a P. Eng from a B. Tech program, though it involves writing more tests than someone who graduated with a B. Eng would.
Old 05-22-2010 at 07:28 PM   #3
Lolisuck

I checked around on the FAQ for BTech and it says:

Q. Are Bachelor of Technology graduates eligible to be licensed by PEO as professional engineers?

A. No; the Bachelor of Technology program is a technology degree program, not an engineering degree program. However, the experience of graduates of the B.Tech. program in Manufacturing Engineering Technology (which has been operating successfully since 1997) who have applied to be licensed as professional engineers is that the number of required examinations has been reduced considerably. Typically, B.Tech. graduates from Manufacturing Engineering Technology have been required to take five examinations (rather than seventeen) and write an engineering report. While the new programs (Civil Engineering Infrastructure Technology , Computing & Information Technology and Energy Engineering Technologies) have not yet been evaluated by PEO, it is expected that the graduates of those programs who wish to be licensed through PEO would also need to take a reduced number of examinations.

Does that mean it's only availiable to people in Manufacturing Engineering Technology, but on OUAC when applying for BTech it only gave use 3 options Automtive, BioTech, and Automation.

What does this mean for me?
Old 05-22-2010 at 07:29 PM   #4
Lolisuck

I also found this at the PEO site:

There is a minimum educational level stipulated by the Professional Engineers Act. Council policy has established a three-year diploma in technology from a College of Applied Arts and Technology, a bachelor's degree in a relevant science area or academic qualifications deemed by the Council to be equivalent to a diploma or degree mentioned above as the minimum academic qualifications.If your overall academic preparation is assessed by PEO to meet the minimum level stipulated by legislation (this includes graduates of a technology or science program), you will be assigned a Specific Examination Program.
Old 05-22-2010 at 08:56 PM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Call the office. Better than starting multiple threads hoping for the answer you want to hear
Old 05-22-2010 at 10:24 PM   #6
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
I would advise getting in contact with the schools you wish to do your MEng or MASc at. I.e. Waterloo, Queens, McMaster, and UofT. Most of the requirements on each school's site states that you need an 'approved' 4-5 year degree. I would get on this ASAP if you plan on doing grad school so you don't get screwed over later on.

Last edited by khaotic : 05-22-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-23-2010 at 12:49 AM   #7
Lolisuck

My plan is basically go into BTech first year, transfer into Eng 1, then specialize in civil engineering and graduate, after that get my M.Eng and later on a P.Eng, but only problem i have is will i be able to transfer from btech to eng 1, if not then would i still be able to get a M.Eng or P.Eng with a B.Tech degree.... my other option is to go to ryerson civil engineering first year and see if i can transfer to mac eng, if not i'm stuck with ryerson..

so which route is best to take in order to reach my goal? feadback and comments would be much apprieciated.
Old 05-23-2010 at 02:33 AM   #8
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

A couple of things to consider:

If you're going to try to be transferring, its almost always preferable to do it within the same university rather than trying to go between them. Here's a couple reasons for this:

-the administration is much more familiar with the courses and there's likely an established process

-your grades still count towards your cumulative GPA

-when transferring between schools there can be issues with the equivalence of courses (i.e. some of the courses you take at school A might not count towards your degree at school B)

-Part of going to university is becoming part of the community, switching schools interrupts that process.

As for your direct questions:

B.Tech P.Eng: There likely is a route you can take, but it will certainly require numerous tests. The school can likely give you some information on this, but the final say will always rest with the PEO. The wording you quoted from the B.Tech site basically says that for the Manufacturing Technology program a process has been established which allows you to take less tests (5) than had previously been required by PEO. For the other options it likely means you have to take someone on the order of the larger number of tests (17). Please note these processes are geared towards a technologist becoming a P.Eng in a similar area to their degree (e.g. Automotive technologist -> mechanical engineer). Automotive Technology to Civil Engineer isn't likely to work out for you.

M.Eng: Is there any particular reason why you're worried about doing your M.Eng right away (e.g. a specific field you really want to get into that you can't with just an undergrad? Many engineers work for a couple of years after they get their bachelors and then come back and complete their M.Eng. In these sorts of cases, their employer may pay for part or all of the M.Eng. The vast majority (if not all) of the people I know in civil engineering had no problems finding jobs right out of their bachelors.

Lolisuck likes this.
Old 05-23-2010 at 08:46 AM   #9
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

This all sounds oddly familiar to another poster that was previously on here, and now is not.... Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 05-23-2010 at 10:53 AM   #10
Lolisuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
This all sounds oddly familiar to another poster that was previously on here, and now is not.... Maybe I'm wrong.
Whose this other poster everyone seems to be relating me to?? cuz i got similar comments like this lol.. i'm really curious now..
Old 05-23-2010 at 10:58 AM   #11
Lolisuck

So, my best bet is to go into BTech (automotive) and transfer into Eng 1 after first year, only downside is that what if i don't make it to Eng 1 from btech, like what mark must i aim for and will it help if i took some eng courses as electives?
Also out of automotive, biotech, and automation, which would be more successful if i end up not making it to eng 1, which i hope will not happen..
Old 05-23-2010 at 11:47 AM   #12
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
So, my best bet is to go into BTech (automotive) and transfer into Eng 1 after first year, only downside is that what if i don't make it to Eng 1 from btech, like what mark must i aim for and will it help if i took some eng courses as electives?
Also out of automotive, biotech, and automation, which would be more successful if i end up not making it to eng 1, which i hope will not happen..
Almost 100% sure you cannot take eng courses as "electives". I dont even think you get electives for first year BTech. Get a 12 GPA, that will guaruntee a transfer into Eng I
Old 05-23-2010 at 11:56 AM   #13
khaotic

Quote:
As said above I highly doubt you can take engineering courses as electives. But you may be able to take courses like Chemistry 1A03 (science) to replace Chemistry 1E03 (engineering). Physics 1B03 (science) for Physics 1D03 (engineering). Math 1A03 and 1AA3 for the engineering maths. And you can also try taking required courses for 2nd year programs. I.e. Chem Eng needs to take Chem 1AA3, so you could do that as an elective?

Once again, I advise you to call your department and the engineering faculty for advise on what to do.
Old 05-24-2010 at 12:03 AM   #14
Lolisuck

I also heard about this summer program called LEAP for first engineering students, and i was wondering if I would be able to apply to the LEAP Head start program in the summer even though I’m a Btech student and would it help my chances of transferring to engineering 1 next year considering that I would’ve completed the Engineering 1CO3 and 1P03 courses during LEAP?
Old 05-24-2010 at 01:00 AM   #15
khaotic

Quote:
I also heard about this summer program called LEAP for first engineering students, and i was wondering if I would be able to apply to the LEAP Head start program in the summer even though I’m a Btech student and would it help my chances of transferring to engineering 1 next year considering that I would’ve completed the Engineering 1CO3 and 1P03 courses during LEAP?
You will have to get permission from the engineering faculty to take Engineering 1C03 and 1P03 since both courses require you to be part of an engineering program. Even then I still don't know if you can apply for the LEAP program. Contact the engineering faculty or see an academic adviser so you are aware of all your options.

If you are really dedicated to get a Masters or your PEng license then maybe take engineering at another school?