Any Advice? pink_cupcake Academics 8 06-28-2009 10:41 PM
some advice please... EngLufLuf General Discussion 16 06-22-2009 10:29 PM

Advice?!~

Old 12-23-2009 at 08:16 PM   #1
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Advice?!~
So I've recently discovered that my best friend's marks are not as great as she (and I) had hoped...

Only 3/5 are up, but she failed two of them, one of them being History, the very subject she'd like to major in.

Now, I don't know if this is seen as a huge deal, but I spoke to my friend who said she could get kicked out if she doesn't achieve a certain average at the end of term II.

Basically, my questions are:
~Will she get kicked out?
~What average does she need at the end of term II to avoid getting kicked out?
~Will she have to re-take these courses?
~What happens when you fail the subject you'd like to major in, or don't get a high enough mark?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Old 12-23-2009 at 08:18 PM   #2
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

If it is History 1BB3 that she failed, then she should reconsider her major choice (in my opinion).

1BB3 was very representative of upper-year history courses.

xo.monica says thanks to Mahratta for this post.
Old 12-23-2009 at 08:19 PM   #3
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
If it is History 1BB3 that she failed, then she should reconsider her major choice (in my opinion).

1BB3 was very representative of upper-year history courses.
It was History 1BB3, actually, thanks!

Old 12-23-2009 at 08:23 PM   #4
Skylar

Liked: 1 Time

I'm going to go ahead and assume that your "best friend" is actually you.

But don't panic, all this information is online. "She" won't immediately get kicked out, but "she" will need to maintain a certain GPA for the year, and "she" will definitely be placed on academic probation (ie. if "she" does not maintain like a 4.5, "she" will get kicked out of university for an entire year).

I would suggest that "she" talked to an academic adviser, and I would "she" talk to her parents as well, because they are probably invested in "her" academic career (financially or otherwise).

And I wouldn't suggest majoring in history. If I were you, I would major in the one subject you managed to pass.

Good luck, Monica. Study harder next semester.
Old 12-23-2009 at 08:23 PM   #5
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
It was History 1BB3, actually, thanks!
I talked with the professor of that course quite a lot (Dr. Mukharji is great - very approachable, and brilliant ), and from what I've gathered, most upper-year history follows a similar, inquiry-based model of learning.

I know a lot of people assume history is going to be the rote and linear subject they learned in high school, but university history seems to be more concept and essay based - apparently, the majority of upper-year classes (unlike the other first year history courses, 1A03 and 1AA3) are taught in a similar manner (but obviously include more challenging material) as 1BB3.

xo.monica says thanks to Mahratta for this post.
Old 12-23-2009 at 08:26 PM   #6
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
I'm going to go ahead and assume that your "best friend" is actually you.

But don't panic, all this information is online. "She" won't immediately get kicked out, but "she" will need to maintain a certain GPA for the year, and "she" will definitely be placed on academic probation (ie. if "she" does not maintain like a 4.5, "she" will get kicked out of university for an entire year).

I would suggest that "she" talked to an academic adviser, and I would "she" talk to her parents as well, because they are probably invested in "her" academic career (financially or otherwise).

And I wouldn't suggest majoring in history. If I were you, I would major in the one subject you managed to pass.

Good luck, Monica. Study harder next semester.
Lmfao, you're hilarious, Mike!
You KNOW who I'm talking about, you douche.
you're the one I got the advice from, in the first place.

and you know I'd never take history. I HATE it.
Look at my forum signature, it says psych and socio.

Last edited by xo.monica : 12-23-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2009 at 08:31 PM   #7
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Will she get kicked out?

- As you've said, she'll need to pull up her average next term.

What average does she need at the end of term II to avoid getting kicked out?

- I *think* a 3. Don't quote me on it - hopefully someone can confirm/deny this.

Will she have to re-take these courses?

- If they are required courses for her major, yes.

What happens when you fail the subject you'd like to major in, or don't get a high enough mark?

- She can't apply for a major in history this year since she failed a required course. She's going have to take the course again, and obtain the required mark. If she does, she can apply for the major next year.

Last edited by Kevin S : 12-23-2009 at 08:34 PM.

xo.monica says thanks to Kevin S for this post.
Old 12-23-2009 at 08:31 PM   #8
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post

Basically, my questions are:
1.Will she get kicked out?
2.What average does she need at the end of term II to avoid getting kicked out?
3.Will she have to re-take these courses?
4.What happens when you fail the subject you'd like to major in, or don't get a high enough mark?
1. no she won't get kicked out yet, they only review your marks after the term ends (end of term 2)
2. she must have atleast a 3.0 average and she will be put on academic probation. If you get a 3.5 then your safe. You don't want to be put on academic probation its not fun...
3. if she wants to major in it then yes she'll have to re-take them to get the credit
4. she'll have to take the course again and those 2 marks will average out (i think) So she has to get an amazing mark to average out to something decent

I failed two courses my first semester last year and i'm still doing good now. I finished with a 3.1 average.. i was retarded last year, but this year i picked my marks up and have about an 8 average. Basically don't worry too much but remember that you have to get your shit together if you want to stick around. And you should go to your academic adviser ASAP!

Last edited by ThatGuy : 12-23-2009 at 08:34 PM.

xo.monica says thanks to ThatGuy for this post.
Old 12-23-2009 at 08:33 PM   #9
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Basically don't worry too much but remember that you have to get your shit together if you want to stick around. And you should go to your academic adviser ASAP!
. . . . .
It's not me..
-_-

It's my best friend!!

and I'm actually serious.
I'd never take history, ew.

Old 12-23-2009 at 08:38 PM   #10
Doomsday

Liked: 0 Times

Please: if you're going to post in Macinsiders, be honest. It's okay to admit that the subject is you.

But I can completely agree with the above advise. Switch majors, Monica, and seek the advise of an academic counselor.

And make sure your parents know, too!

All the best.
Old 12-23-2009 at 08:40 PM   #11
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
Please: if you're going to post in Macinsiders, be honest. It's okay to admit that the subject is you.

But I can completely agree with the above advise. Switch majors, Monica, and seek the advise of an academic counselor.

All the best.
1 post, and he logs off?

Old 12-23-2009
xo.monica
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-23-2009 at 08:43 PM   #12
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post

All the best.

MIKEE!!
**** off, you know exactly who this is. :p
and no, I won't take your name off of here.

Last edited by xo.monica : 12-23-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2009 at 08:44 PM   #13
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Mike Stay Off Of My Macinsiders Account, You Douche

Last edited by xo.monica : 12-23-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2009 at 08:50 PM   #14
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Your friend should consider switching into an easier faculty, like Health Science.

But seriously, I'd tell her to definitely reconsider history and maybe find something else that she has a passion for and finds not as challenging. Or perhaps she just needs better study habits. Either way, she needs to sit down and re-evaluate her last four months and find a strategy to successfully move forward.