Go Bus advice Kareko General Discussion 13 09-19-2009 05:56 PM
Any Advice? pink_cupcake Academics 8 06-28-2009 10:41 PM
some advice please... EngLufLuf General Discussion 16 06-22-2009 10:29 PM

Advice?!~

Old 12-23-2009 at 08:54 PM   #16
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

if its not working out, try out something new!

best of luck!
Old 12-23-2009 at 09:10 PM   #17
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Your friend should consider switching into an easier faculty, like Health Science.

But seriously, I'd tell her to definitely reconsider history and maybe find something else that she has a passion for and finds not as challenging. Or perhaps she just needs better study habits. Either way, she needs to sit down and re-evaluate her last four months and find a strategy to successfully move forward.

LOL!
haha, yeah, she doesn't have great study habits.. =/

Old 12-23-2009 at 09:56 PM   #18
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

when at first you don't succeed, redefine your definition of success :p

J/k try harder and perhaps and take a look at the CSD website for study tips

lawleypop likes this.
Old 12-23-2009 at 10:32 PM   #19
Vic.And

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
when at first you don't succeed, redefine your definition of success :p

tips
LOL words of wisdom right there... math prof (Mclean) told us that last year
Old 12-23-2009 at 11:12 PM   #20
hyvaa

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Your friend should consider switching into an easier faculty, like Health Science.

:(.... it's by no means easy..

Last edited by hyvaa : 12-23-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-23-2009 at 11:15 PM   #21
hitek168

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyvaa View Post
:(.... it's by no means easy..
agreed.
Old 12-23-2009 at 11:38 PM   #22
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

While you are getting a lot of answers on here, I think this is something your friend should DEFINATELY talk to an academic advisor about. They will know for sure what they are talking about, and they can help her out more than you know.
One year, I went to talk to an academic advisor about one of my grades and I ended up getting bumped up to Honours! So definately get her to talk to an acaemic advisor before she makes any rash decisions. They are very helpful.

xo.monica says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.
Old 12-24-2009 at 04:46 AM   #23
Nosh

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
2. she must have atleast a 3.0 average and she will be put on academic probation. If you get a 3.5 then your safe. You don't want to be put on academic probation its not fun...
what exactly happens on academic probation ? Ive always wondered .My cousin was on it and also always said it was "bad" but would never elude to what this "bad: was.
Old 12-24-2009 at 11:42 AM   #24
Mowicz
Elite Member

Academic probation is essentially a 'final warning.' You're admitted into a general program in whatever faculty and take courses as if you majored in the subject (ie. biochem courses, even if you had an unacceptable average for a biochem program).

If your grades improve you reapply for admission into the program...if your grades don't improve, you have to withdraw from the university.

You don't want to be on academic probation, simply because you'll have it hanging over your head all year...the pressure's on, in some sense.

-----------

To Monica: Your friend should re-evaluate their study habits. It seems as though, given history is what she'd like to major in, the interest is clearly there...so somehow when being put into practice, her studying just didn't pay off (so the way she's studying has to change), or she somehow felt prepared without putting in a proper amount of time (they were her first set of exams, it's not uncommon to be 'caught off guard'). Perhaps she has difficulty writing papers, etc.

Have her reflect on what she's done, and go and visit the Centre for Student Development. They have various resources at your disposal that I'm sure could help her out.

EDIT: Have a look at this webpage to see what the CSD has to offer: http://csd.mcmaster.ca/

Last edited by Mowicz : 12-24-2009 at 11:48 AM.

xo.monica says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 12-24-2009 at 11:52 AM   #25
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Say a person went on academic probation at the end of Term II, would they have the entire next year (Sept. to May) to be on probation/ improve their grades? Or would it just be in the summer? Or one term in the new academic year? The definition was quite dubious on this, saying "one study period".

Old 12-24-2009 at 11:56 AM   #26
Mowicz
Elite Member

I believe it's an entire year (I'm pretty sure the summer is called a 'pre-study' period)...however sometimes students have to do summer school to 'prove they can succeed' just to get on academic probation.

EDIT: Also note that someone can only go on academic probation after an academic review...these occur each year at the end of term II, provided you've taken 24 units I believe it is, since the last one. (The exception is for graduands who are reviewed bi-annually to allow for January convocations)

So in other words, you can only go on Academic probation at the end of term 2...you won't be put on there in the middle of the school year.

Last edited by Mowicz : 12-24-2009 at 12:00 PM.