MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing Professors Jason036 Academics 9 08-08-2010 02:16 PM
French Professors ?? help ! :) blurt. Academics 2 06-30-2010 12:53 PM
want to know why professors don't teach? AnguishedEnd General Discussion 11 09-23-2009 08:07 PM
Professors... Nino First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-12-2008 12:01 AM
Different Professors **jewel 03** Academics 3 06-14-2008 10:50 PM

Advice on Professors

Old 06-14-2008 at 10:12 PM   #16
dchan28

Liked: 1 Time

Hey Quester,

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one already looking ahead for med school.

If you visit, http://www.easygoing.co.kr/study/can31.html, and scroll down to "Grading and credit systems", you'll find that it says:

"Standard annual course load for full-time undergraduates: 30 units which is equivalent to five full-credit courses in an academic year (September-April)."

So that would mean that 2 courses (3 units each) of Physics would satisfy that full credit requirement of Physical Sciences. Taking both Music 1A03 and 1AA3 will be also be considered one full credit. However, I am not sure about Inquiry because it is a 3 unit course, but it extends for the full academic year.

Hope that helps; maybe we'll meet in September sometime. Take care!

Old 06-14-2008 at 10:50 PM   #17
dchan28

I also wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question. All the advice was beyond helpful, so thanks again.
Old 06-14-2008 at 11:24 PM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan28 View Post
Hey Quester,

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one already looking ahead for med school.

If you visit, http://www.easygoing.co.kr/study/can31.html, and scroll down to "Grading and credit systems", you'll find that it says:

"Standard annual course load for full-time undergraduates: 30 units which is equivalent to five full-credit courses in an academic year (September-April)."

So that would mean that 2 courses (3 units each) of Physics would satisfy that full credit requirement of Physical Sciences. Taking both Music 1A03 and 1AA3 will be also be considered one full credit. However, I am not sure about Inquiry because it is a 3 unit course, but it extends for the full academic year.

Hope that helps; maybe we'll meet in September sometime. Take care!

Inquery is not a full-unit course as it is only worth three units. If it was 6 units it would fulfill the requirement.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-15-2008 at 05:26 AM   #19
ayinaim

Liked: 6 Times

you can try http://www.ratemyprofessors. com/

cheers
Old 06-15-2008 at 07:11 PM   #20
Quester

thanks dchan28!
are you korean? how'd you find the website?

btw, it wouldn't matter if i take music 1aa3 in first year and 1a03 in second year because in the end, i'd still have a full credit of music, right?
Old 06-15-2008 at 08:46 PM   #21
dchan28

no problem, quester. no I'm not korean, I'm just a very effective google user. btw, I think I've seen you on studentawards too

yes, as long as you cover both music courses sometime during your undergraduate years, you will still be able to cover that full credit requirement. hope that helps!
Old 06-15-2008 at 08:59 PM   #22
Quester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan28 View Post
no problem, quester. no I'm not korean, I'm just a very effective google user. btw, I think I've seen you on studentawards too

yes, as long as you cover both music courses sometime during your undergraduate years, you will still be able to cover that full credit requirement. hope that helps!
hahahahaha
i wonder what you're user name might be...

btw, i can't wait to meet you in september too!
Old 06-15-2008 at 09:21 PM   #23
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Yup. You can take the course in a later year if you'd like.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-15-2008 at 09:28 PM   #24
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quester View Post
well, i was looking over the chart from omsas and saw that i need 1 FULL credit of physical sciences: http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/rc_omsas_e.pdf
i didn't, yet, find the information about the loboratoy component for physics. could you give me a link to that information? it's just that i've never heard of the info before...
It's for American medical schools if I remember correctly; sorry I don't have a link, I'm going by what I was told at a medical school applicants seminar. By I still suggest you visit each individual med school's website and look at their specific requirements. You don't want to your application to be void based on a course requirement technicality.

Old 06-24-2009 at 10:57 PM   #25
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth526 View Post
I've had a few of those profs, so here are my $0.02:

I had Goward for 1A03, and I would say that she was overall a pretty good instructor. I think she taught a first-year class for the first time when I took this course and she went pretty fast the first week or so (you could tell that she was relatively nervous by the sound of her voice) but her teaching improved greatly as the semester went by. I think Goward specializes in physical chemistry, so she was pretty effective at explaining the first few chapters (quantum chem, lewis diagrams, etc).

I'm not entirely familiar with Britz McKibbin, but I've heard (from students with similar learning attributes as me) that he's an 'alright' prof. I went to his exam review session for the acid-base chapters, and he seemed to go over the really, really easy questions/concepts instead of the more challenging ones, which was actually somewhat frustrating, since acid-base chem was probably the trickiest part of 1A03.

I also had Berti for 1AA3 I don't think he was as effective as Lock or Valliant. He really tried to explain the difficult concepts to the best of his abilities (and I'll definetely give him credit for that), but just didn't communicate as effectively as he could have. It's important to note that in both chem classes, all sections have similar "skeleton" notes, and professors just supplement these during the lecture. Everytime I compared my full notes from Berti's class to my floormates' notes from Lock's or Valliant's class, it always seemed like they went over more content in more depth. Don't get me wrong, Berti's still a decent professor, just not as good as the other instructors. Actually, I think chemistry has the best teaching depth in the Faculty of Science for first year classes, so you're definetely in luck.

In terms of Valliant, I hear he has an eccentric wardrobe, and it's fun trying to guess what suit/tie combination he'll wear next.

I've unfortunately heard nothing but mediocre to bad things about Klein as a professor. I haven't heard of Haskell however as he wasn't an instructor during my first year.

Reid is great! He taught baby physics (1P03; essentially the same class as this) last year and was very effective. He understood that several students in the class had little to no university prep physics knowledge, and taught the class accordingly. He has very clean, simple notes and paces himself very well during lectures. He also has amazing office hours (every day for like 3 hours) and replies to emails and webCT posts very quickly. Reid's strongest teaching method is probably the use of in-class demos (tracking an object's path down a ramp, spinning an accelerometer in a circle, etc). They take up a lot of class time (to the point where the other section was 5 or 6 lectures ahead of us), but are absolutely imperative in remembering exam and quiz-related concept questions, especially when the class mostly deals with mechanics.

Nejat was one of the more interesting professors I've had in first year. During the first two weeks or so of 1B03, I absolutely hated his class to the point where I was seriously considering revamping my entire schedule to leave his section (which also would have meant dropping another class entirely). He loves picking on students to answer questions during lectures which is something that didn't bode well for me because I was never good at answering physics questions on the spot. But as the semester went by, I found that I was actually learning more per lecture in physics than any other class while taking the least amount of notes. Nejat wanted his class to be a giant intellectual discussion between the 150ish students in the class rather than him just talking for 50 minutes and let students do most of the talking when someone had a question. Also, Nejat always went over questions similar to those on tests and the exam. Always. I didn't realize this until it was too late, but everytime he put up a random question on the overhead at the start of class, it (or something very similar to it) ended up being on a test. I absolutely despise physics, and I still do, but I ended up getting a pretty good mark in his class and I actually think that physics (1P03/1L03 and 1B03) were the best taught classes in first year.

By the way, if you took grade 11 physics (or even grade 12 for the first two weeks) this class regardless of the professor will probably bore you to tears as it's catered to students with enough physics knowledge to only do scale diagrams.
Kenneth, did you feel the same way about Goward that you did about Britz McKibbin? Did she push her students and you know, go into the required depth when teaching?

And thanks, that was really helpful
Old 06-24-2009 at 11:08 PM   #26
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Has anybody ever had Prof. Grasselli for Math?
And I'm guessing that whomever you have for your lecture, you have for your tutorial?

https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/... =1A03&t=1&d=D

Edit:
Before each year in high school, I'd rush on to www.ratemyteachers.co m and read up extensively about my teachers. The reviews were mostly reasonable and though it rarely impacted the way I dealt with that teacher, it helped me know what I was getting into before I did.

I used www.ratemyprofessors. com for Grasselli and the "he's so funny, he makes it easy to understand" reminds me of my physics teacher in high school. (For anybody who took grade 12 Physics in Ontario recently, you probably went over Electromagnetism in the Nelson Physics 12 textbook which he wrote). </tangent>

I'm still open to feedback, I just thought I'd throw that out there for anybody who would like to know.

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 06-24-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2009 at 10:26 PM   #27
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

Can anyone please provide a feedback on RHEINSTADTER or HUGHES for physics 1B03?

Last edited by paperplanes : 06-27-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2009 at 11:27 PM   #28
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I heard Hughes was fantastic. She's willing to stay after class if students have questions. However, she tends to pick people randomly to answer questions and doesn't have formal notes.
Old 06-28-2009 at 01:25 PM   #29
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

Should I choose Stover or Valliant for CHEM 1AA3? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2009 at 08:20 PM   #30
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Kenneth, did you feel the same way about Goward that you did about Britz McKibbin? Did she push her students and you know, go into the required depth when teaching?

And thanks, that was really helpful
I had a limited learning experience with BM, but I found that overall, Goward was pretty good. I actually think that the department of chemistry has the best teaching depth in the entire faculty of Science, so you really can't go wrong with which professor you choose.

Good luck in 1A03/1AA3