MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any help from Psych majors (or anyone) out there? missmatch Academics 5 06-26-2010 11:15 PM
Majors and Minors? Hanna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 06-19-2010 11:45 AM
Confused about Majors squash101 Academics 5 06-01-2010 11:10 AM
Majors noghi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-27-2009 10:43 PM
majors in Mac lbqjenny First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-22-2009 11:00 AM

All My Pnb Majors Where You At?

Old 06-12-2011 at 04:19 PM   #46
darkendice

Liked: 1 Time

Hey guys I have a quick question. For PNB 2XF3 (research methods - full year course), does the tutorial we choose in first term have to be the same as second term? Thanks.
Old 06-13-2011 at 10:39 AM   #47
SirPhil

Liked: 19 Times

We pick our courses tmoro
Old 06-13-2011 at 11:18 AM   #48
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

I don't think it really matters...and anyway, even if it does, you can still add/drop courses well into the term, so I wouldn't worry about it right now.
Old 06-14-2011 at 03:47 PM   #49
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Is anyone else taking 2QQ3? :| is it compulsory?
Old 06-14-2011 at 03:50 PM   #50
Faer
Elite Member

PNB 2QQ3? I'm going to try to get a spot in it in Term 2. Apparently you can't add it in SOLAR? *hearsay* Plus it has limited spots. But it's good for those who want to go into research and all.
Old 06-14-2011 at 04:07 PM   #51
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
PNB 2QQ3? I'm going to try to get a spot in it in Term 2. Apparently you can't add it in SOLAR? *hearsay* Plus it has limited spots. But it's good for those who want to go into research and all.
Yeah, I'm trying to find the department contact person that we're supposed to get permission from. Seems like the registrar hasn't uploaded the new department contact list for this year x\
Old 06-15-2011 at 01:41 AM   #52
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Yeah, I'm trying to find the department contact person that we're supposed to get permission from. Seems like the registrar hasn't uploaded the new department contact list for this year x\
I've heard that it's best to approach the profs during the term and ask them if they have space in their labs or something. XP Let me know if you find something, 'cause I'm still confused. I'll be going to an academic advisor, of course, but that's only when term starts. :/ Not a fan of emails/calling them up.
Old 06-16-2011 at 08:40 PM   #53
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
I've heard that it's best to approach the profs during the term and ask them if they have space in their labs or something. XP Let me know if you find something, 'cause I'm still confused. I'll be going to an academic advisor, of course, but that's only when term starts. :/ Not a fan of emails/calling them up.
Here's some info I got by emailing Ann Hollingshead a few weeks ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hollingshead

"For PNB 2QQ3 you need to find your own supervisor and the supervisor must be a faculty person within the PNB Dept. Look at the PNB web page at the faculty and their research. If you find some research that really interests you, then e-mail the faculty person and tell them you are really interested in their research and that you were wondering if they are taking on any students for the Fall or Winter for PNB 2QQ3. If they are still taking on students for the Fall/Winter, they will probably ask for a copy of your transcript - doesn't have to be an official one - and set up a meeting with you. If they decide to supervise you, they will e-mail me to let me know and I will put permission on SOLAR for you to register for the course. This is a course you can also do during the spring/summer sessions if you can't find someone for the Fall/Winter. Also we have PNB 3QQ3 & 4QQ3, so if you don't find someone for this year, there is always next year or the following year. You don't have to complete 2QQ3 to be able to do 3QQ3 or 4QQ3 - they are all independent
of each other."

"There is no particular CA that is required. Although having said that usually students' marks...[are] (around at least an 8.0). But more importantly, the faculty are looking for students who are enthusiastic about research and particularly about the research that they are doing. It is not uncommon for students to struggle a bit in first year, and the faculty know that."
Enjoy...

Last edited by Mepper : 06-16-2011 at 08:51 PM.

anon491, Faer all say thanks to Mepper for this post.
Old 06-16-2011 at 11:20 PM   #54
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Ann's description is relatively accurate. I would however try to actively participate in your required psych courses and later ask the profs if they have available lab positions.

Last edited by Toast : 06-16-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2011 at 02:39 PM   #55
SirPhil

Liked: 19 Times

Does anyone one else have a conflict due PNB compulsories being the way of everything else?
Old 08-08-2011 at 04:23 PM   #56
FYCO

Liked: 1 Time

Hey I'm in PNB BSc too! Has anyone heard any good/bad stories about any of our professors? Cause it seems that we don't have a choice of which profs we have for our classes.
Old 08-09-2011 at 08:04 AM   #57
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

Hey guys. Im a new PNB masters student, hope to see most of you around campus or in classes/tutorials/labs. For those interested in grad school at Mac specifically as a PNB (MINDS) grad, I started at blog at www.insideminds.tk. Right now its just about life but in a few weeks when school starts I'll be keeping those interested, informed on graduate school, with insider tips. You can follow/subscribe to know when I post new stuff.

SirPhil, tatski-p like this.