MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alternating Courses IbrahimH Academics 1 09-12-2010 03:03 PM
Upcoming Years iRetaliate First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 11-15-2009 06:41 PM
Tips for First Years adrian First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-04-2009 10:41 PM
Alternating labs Omar.S First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-01-2008 02:11 PM
4th years lorend Academics 0 11-10-2007 09:58 AM

Alternating course years

Old 05-02-2010 at 03:05 PM   #1
R.L.

Liked: 3 Times

Alternating course years
Like the title suggests, I was wondering why certain courses are only offered every other year? There aren't that many, but some of the upper year biology courses (i.e. histology, vertebrate anatomy) are offered in 2011-2012 instead of next year.

I find it somewhat annoying since I want to take these courses but I have to wait until fourth year. Is it because of a lack of funding or a lack of student interest?
Old 05-02-2010 at 04:28 PM   #2
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

I think its lack of student interest. Although it might be lack of teachers.
Old 05-02-2010 at 05:21 PM   #3
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.L. View Post
Like the title suggests, I was wondering why certain courses are only offered every other year? There aren't that many, but some of the upper year biology courses (i.e. histology, vertebrate anatomy) are offered in 2011-2012 instead of next year.
Really? Where does it say that? The undergrad calendar only reads that it is not offered in 2010-2011. Only courses that explicitly say when it's offered again (e.g. Bio 4T03) are alternating years.

From what I've heard, the two courses that you've mentioned have been cut for an unknown time period, probably pending funding/prof availability. The former histology prof was a sessional lecturer that the Department didn't have enough money to fund and vert anatomy I heard was a prof who retired so I'm pretty sure it's simply stopped being offered until they have the resources to offer these courses again. I'm fairly certain it's NOT due to lack of interest (I know histology is/was quite popular...vert anatomy hasn't been offered in years except last year, but I'm sure it would be popular).

I can't explain Bio 4T03 though. Dr. Nurse teaches it alternate years but he does 3P03 every year. Interestingly, Bio 4X03 used to be offered in alternate years but it isn't anymore; it's offered EVERY year. So I guess things can change too!
Old 05-02-2010 at 06:25 PM   #4
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

This happens for a lot of upper year (at least materials) engineering courses that are technical *electives*

So, since they're optional, they have a lower enrollment. Some of the ones I've had were rather large, some were still kind of small. Good way to keep courses alive that might otherwise be dwindling I suppose.