MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfer student into life Sci Jasonn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 01-16-2013 06:09 AM
help with student transfer to mcmaster Reda First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-30-2012 03:36 PM
Transfer to Engineering I [HS student, bad situation, please help!] EngHopeful Academics 20 05-11-2012 01:25 AM
Transfer student questions jntyrhds Academics 4 08-09-2011 04:13 PM

am a transfer student and i have a problem

Old 06-13-2013 at 12:48 PM   #1
saeedoo

Liked: 0 Times

am a transfer student and i have a problem
hello everyone, so for some reason i am in deep trouble
these are the first year engineering courses
Chemistry 1E03 – General Chemistry for Engineering I
Engineering 1A00 – Safety Training
Engineering 1C03 – Engineering Design and Graphics
Engineering 1D04 – Engineering Computation
Engineering 1P03 – Engineering Profession and Practice
Materials Science 1M03 – Structure and Properties of Materials
Mathematics 1ZA3 – Engineering Mathematics
Mathematics 1ZB3 – Engineering Mathematics II – A
Mathematics 1ZC3 – Engineering Mathematics II – B
Physics 1D03 – Introductory Mechanics
Physics 1E03 – Waves, Electricity and Magnetic Fields
out of these courses i got credits for 1E03 1M03 1ZA3 1ZB3 1ZC3 1D03 and 2 more electives ECON 1B03 and PSYCH 1 from my another university
so i only have 5 courses left which are 1A00 1C03 1D04 1P03 1E03 and i thought i would be done with them the first term i go to mcmaster and the 2nd term i would start my chemical engineering courses right away
however, the course physics 1E03 is only offered in term 2 which means i will not be done with all my year 1 engineering courses by the end of term 1 and by that i will not be able to start my chemical engineering courses right away in term 2
what do i do?
Old 06-13-2013 at 01:07 PM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

You can't go to second year eng until you finish all your fist year courses. What you can do however, is take phys 1e03 and eng 1d04 this summer, the courses start in like 2 weeks or something. So talk to sally williams in the JHE A214 and tell her that you want to take them this summer.

And btw, chem eng starts in term 1 and not term 2 at mcmaster. The only courses that you can take in term 2 chem eng without taking any first term courses are the stats, the electives, chem eng 2i03, and chem eng 2O04 .
However, i don't know if they would let you take these courses in term2 next year. You should talk to the chem eng department and ask them.

But first thing you should do is talk to Sally in the eng office and tell her you wanna take phys 1e03 and eng 1d04. Ohh and btw, eng 1A00 i nothing, it's just an online safety quiz that you do in September after watching a short video.

Welcome to McMaster University

Last edited by jim1 : 06-13-2013 at 01:27 PM.

saeedoo says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 06-13-2013 at 01:45 PM   #3
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^do this. do the summer courses mentioned above this summer if possible. then do whatever needs to be done in 1st term for your 1st yr courses. then if possible, take as many 2nd year courses as you can/electives in 2nd term. do the required 2nd year math or something next summer since you cant in the year and i doubt ud wanna do those in 3rd year. it seems youll always be a bit behind actualy chen eng students but it is possible for you to have a lighter workload.

saeedoo says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 06-13-2013 at 03:05 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Your best bet is to talk to an advisor, but you shouldn't expect to be able to enroll in second year chem eng without having completed all of your first-year courses.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly were you accepted to? I know getting into 2nd year streams from first year can be competitive, and I'm not sure how it works for transfer students since admission is based on courseload and GPA.

saeedoo says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 06-13-2013 at 04:24 PM   #5
saeedoo

problem is there is no way for me to take summer course so in term 2 am going to take the electives stats and physics 1e03 and something else?
and in term 1 i am going to take 1EE0, 1D04, 1P03, 1C03, 1AA0, 2E03(organic am supposed to take it year 3 but it is only provided in term 1 so why not), and am thinking of taking math 2z03 because it is only provided in term 1 too
what do you guys think?
Old 06-13-2013 at 04:52 PM   #6
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Here is how it will work, no matter how different you want to word the question, or justify your situation:

You are not done all the year 1 courses. You must finish those. Once you do, at the end of second term, you can officially enroll in Chem eng courses. However, given your grades that are being transferred, as someone suggested, you might talk to Sally Williams and see if she thinks the Chem Eng department would even consider letting you take some second year courses. You may get special permission.

However, your best bet is to simply take the second year maths, as you mentioned (Math 2Z03 and 2ZZ3) and take some of the non-technical electives that you have to eventually take anyways. That is something you would get away with, no problem. IT would then free up some of your schedule in the following years.

Good luck!

saeedoo says thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 06-13-2013 at 05:49 PM   #7
Preema

Also, when you talk to an advisor, ask about doing the courses that offered in term 2, online during term 1. It may be offered at Athabasca University. And, they can give you letter of permission to do the course with Athabasca but get a credit at Mac for it too. So you can do the 4 courses on campus and 1 online if it is doable without an actual prof.