MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Trade Anthro 1A03 2D for Anthro 1Z03 2E DFKMcDonough Academics 6 08-10-2010 05:18 PM
Drop--Anthro 1Z03 dmzz Academics 0 12-28-2009 08:19 PM

Anthro 1Z03

Old 06-22-2009 at 10:48 PM   #16
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Anthro 1Z03
I've had a few people ask me about this course so, here goes. :]

Anthropology 1Z03
The Human Species: Becoming and Being Human

I took this course in 08-09 with Dr. Padiak. The course is more or less physical anthropology, one of...

likes this.
Old 06-02-2010 at 07:45 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjani View Post
I was looking at the master timetable and it doesn't list any tutorials for ANTHROP 1Z03 , does that mean we won't have tutorials this year? :S
That's possible. They could also not have set up the tutorials yet. Perhaps they are still in the process of hiring TAs.
Old 06-02-2010 at 09:02 PM   #16
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
I was looking at the master timetable and it doesn't list any tutorials for ANTHROP 1Z03 , does that mean we won't have tutorials this year? :S
We had tutorials when I took it (year before last) and they were pretty integral to the course so they haven't set them up yet probably. Dr. Poinar who taught the course last year had tutorials, and he will be teaching it again this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crys.eg View Post
As said in one of the earlier posts, you look @ fake bones. Now this is cool and all, but is it kinda like an anatomy class where you learn each part, what it does, etc etc. What kinds of topics are talked about in the class?
Basically, it introduces you to physical anthropology, using fossils and artifacts to get clues about the past. You look at evolution in great detail, different species of primates that eventually lead to humans. This might not be for you if you believe in creation. You look a little bit at biology and how that plays into all of this, including how diversity occurs and natural selection. In great detail you do look at primates: monkeys, apes, neanderthals, humans, etc. You'll be expected to learn all sorts of different characteristics of these species. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but yeah that's 1Z03 in a nutshell.

crys.eg says thanks to feonateresa for this post.

crys.eg likes this.
Old 06-02-2010 at 10:04 PM   #17
Kinjani

Liked: 0 Times
That makes sense, thanks for the clarification! One more question , would you consider it a bird course?
Old 06-03-2010 at 03:01 AM   #18
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
That makes sense, thanks for the clarification! One more question , would you consider it a bird course?
Hmm, if you do your readings and go to class everyday -- it can be easy. The final was a breeze for me, but I studied pretty hard. There's not a whole lot of material to study, just the textbook and her lecture slides -- so it should be alright. But I wouldn't necessarily call it a bird course, if you find this sort of content interesting, it may seem like a bird course to you.

However, keep in mind that I took this course with Dr. Padiak and not Dr. Poinar, so I'm not sure how it will differ in that way.
Old 06-04-2010 at 04:21 PM   #19
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times
Has anyone who has taken this also taken Bio 1M03? Is this class like the human evolution part from Bio 1M03, or is it different?
Old 06-04-2010 at 04:50 PM   #20
crys.eg

Liked: 7 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Has anyone who has taken this also taken Bio 1M03? Is this class like the human evolution part from Bio 1M03, or is it different?

I heart it is the same sort of content.
Old 06-10-2010 at 09:26 PM   #21
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
We had tutorials when I took it (year before last) and they were pretty integral to the course so they haven't set them up yet probably. Dr. Poinar who taught the course last year had tutorials, and he will be teaching it again this year.

But even in the undergraduate calendar (http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1749.html) there is no listing for tutorials, and the entire anthropology department doesnt have ANY course outlines up yet - the ones for the summer, even 1A03, dont have any assignment section in the marking rubric...

Would it be safe to say that there are no tutorials?
Old 06-10-2010 at 09:37 PM   #22
feonateresa
Elite Member

I'm pretty sure Dr. Poinar will have tutorials for this course.
Old 06-12-2010 at 01:21 AM   #23
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times
I took this course in term two, 09-10.

The class was three hours long, from 7-10 and can I just say one thing? It was the most boring class I had ever been to in my life.

The teacher was monotone, he wasn't very vocal, and he reiterated everything, word-to-word, off the slide- this is not a lie. On some occasions, he would delve a bit deeper, but those stories would be off-topic or essentially irrelevant.

The tests were extremely easy, but the exam, on the other hand, WAS NOT. A lot of people, including myself passed with low marks or didn't pass at all. You can blame us for not studying- which I did, a lot, or you can call us weak, but we were completely shocked by the content present in the exam. Test content: bigger picture, Exam content (which we weren't made aware of): minute, irrelevant details.

And to answer someone else's question: Yes, Bio 1M03 was useful (and Bio 1A03, actually) 'cause components from Anthro 1Z03 were dumbed down versions of Bio 1M03 (and Bio 1A03).

Only take it if you're actually interested in Hominids and the "stuff" that comes with learning it.
Old 07-25-2010 at 08:59 PM   #24
merc67

Liked: 17 Times
Took this as a summer course, so not easy, maybe if i had knowledge of anatomy yea i might be ok but brutal! I took it because of the evolution factor but it was more lets memorize the morphological changes that primates and hominids went through, ew. Only good thing about taking it in the summer was it only had 2 tests and then the final no more little assignments and such. Also only one textbook. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:44 AM   #25
s_muskat

Took this as a summer course. Was NOT easy as I had assumed it would be. Mostly extreme memorization of dates and places and other memorization that I found to be completely pointless.
Old 08-15-2010 at 01:21 PM   #26
x0xalishax0x

Just a question-if one has no prior background knowledge of anatomy and such would this be difficult for them? I was thinking of taking it since i have already signed up for the other two anthropology classes-but this conflicts with my religious studies class...
Old 08-15-2010 at 01:31 PM   #27
scttclrk7

I took it last year and it was pretty easy, but I had a different prof who was pretty solid. He told us the essay questions on the final and the midterms were really straight forward and pretty easy. I know there is usually an essay assignment (although we didn't have to do it last year)... it's not a tonne of anatomy, like very very basic things that you dont need an anatomy/physiology background for, and if you are taking bio 1M03, it actually helps A LOT with the evolution part... i didnt really have to study any of the evolution stuff in bio because of this class haha.

That being said, this class is really annoying in the sense that its A LOT of memorization...of dates, sites, characteristics, and specific names.
Old 08-15-2010 at 07:24 PM   #28
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0xalishax0x View Post
Just a question-if one has no prior background knowledge of anatomy and such would this be difficult for them? I was thinking of taking it since i have already signed up for the other two anthropology classes-but this conflicts with my religious studies class...
You don't need to know anything about anatomy for this class. My prof told me what we had to memorize for the anatomy part and the anatomy was in the book, anyway.
Old 08-19-2010 at 09:30 AM   #29
feonateresa
Elite Member

So I've heard that there actually won't be tutorials for this class, the department isn't funding them anymore. :/

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search