MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Trade Anthro 1A03 2D for Anthro 1Z03 2E DFKMcDonough Academics 6 08-10-2010 05:18 PM
Drop--Anthro 1Z03 dmzz Academics 0 12-28-2009 08:19 PM

Anthro 1Z03

Old 06-22-2009 at 10:48 PM   #31
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Anthro 1Z03
I've had a few people ask me about this course so, here goes. :]

Anthropology 1Z03
The Human Species: Becoming and Being Human

I took this course in 08-09 with Dr. Padiak. The course is more or less physical anthropology, one of...

likes this.
Old 08-19-2010 at 10:53 AM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
So I've heard that there actually won't be tutorials for this class, the department isn't funding them anymore. :/
They most likely just combined both the "lecture" and tutorial together into the "lecture". Honestly, there was no real difference between the lecture and tutorial... The only difference was during lecture we had quizzes (which are now online I think) and during tutorials we had assignments. You could definitively combine both together, the only thing is that you have half the amount of time.
Old 08-19-2010 at 10:44 PM   #31
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
They most likely just combined both the "lecture" and tutorial together into the "lecture". Honestly, there was no real difference between the lecture and tutorial... The only difference was during lecture we had quizzes (which are now online I think) and during tutorials we had assignments. You could definitively combine both together, the only thing is that you have half the amount of time.
Yeah, there's just going to be three lectures instead of two. I know the prof, and he's at a loss because he's not sure what to do with an extra hour. Tutorial was fun because you got to look at and examine molds of fossils and whatnot.
Old 08-21-2010 at 02:52 AM   #32
p.lau

Liked: Liked 8 Times
you guys are so lucky! dr. poinar sounds like a really interesting. i had some prof that only taught that one semester and he was so boring :(
Old 12-02-2010 at 04:27 PM   #33
Pawcoe

Liked: 0 Times
It says that biology is pretty important does this mean that if you don't have a background in biology it will be more difficult? Is it assumed that you know some biology or is most of it explained?
Old 01-02-2011 at 11:04 AM   #34
Little

Liked: 3 Times
There are no tutorials in this class anymore

I just finished taking it with Dr. Poinar and tutorials were taken out due to budget cuts. Still a good course though
Old 04-17-2011 at 05:32 PM   #35
gennna

i just finished this class with Dr. Poinar
He was a vary good prof, very helpful and the material learned in class was interesting
We did not have any tutorials, but we were told they did have tutorials in previous years
Old 04-17-2011 at 06:20 PM   #36
mellorkl

I took Anthro 1Z03 with Scott Martin last year and it was SOOOO boring. Really easy, but terribly boring. It had no tutorials or papers, just a couple of tests and a final.
Old 05-03-2011 at 12:31 PM   #37
SashDoods

Liked: 1 Time
Does anyone know how Slonim is?? That is the prof for this summer.
Old 05-03-2011 at 01:10 PM   #38
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little View Post
There are no tutorials in this class anymore

I just finished taking it with Dr. Poinar and tutorials were taken out due to budget cuts. Still a good course though
Really?! Wow, that sucks. I loved the tutorials for this class - I thought they were the best part.

I actually disagree with what some other users have said. I thought that Biology 1M03 was liked a dumbed down version of this course, not the other way around. To each their own, though.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-03-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-13-2011 at 01:32 PM   #39
airkey

Dr. Poinar is a funny guy but a bad prof. He would put together slide shows with random and repetitive points. There would also be conflicting information about dates, names, and places in the slide show. Also, he wouldn't post the lecture slides until weeks later. He didn't give enough information about what was on the midterm or the final. There were no tutorials, but two assignments. In my class everyone did poorly on the second assignment and everyone did terrible on the exam. Both were eventually bell-curved. The exam was a bunch of stuff that we didn't talk about or even mention in class. No need to by the text book. The course wasn't too bad overall. The material was easy to understand, and easy to keep up as long as you went to lecture and read over your notes.

The breakdown was:
3 quizzes- takes the 2 best worth 10% each
2 assignments- 10% each
midterm- 25%
exam-35% non cumulative
Old 08-16-2011 at 01:02 PM   #40
bones_buff

I agree, Dr. Poinar is a good prof but a very bad prof. He skips through slides really quickly and so you dont have any time to take down notes. Overall tho, its an interesting course to take.. just have to make sure you read the book before his notes arent very helpful
Old 08-16-2011 at 01:54 PM   #41
russoa

Hey, I was just wondering how Prowse is, since that's the professor for term 1 this year. Also, do you think that a 12 is attainable in this course? I'm in Life Sci and have taken Bio 1A03 and Bio 1M03.

Thank you!!!
Old 08-18-2011 at 09:09 PM   #42
Emily T

Has anyone had Orchard or Slonim? And what did you think?! They're teaching this course evenings next yr.
Old 08-20-2011 at 12:49 AM   #43
CAHopeful
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times
If you were to study solely from lecture ntoes, could you get a 10?
Old 08-24-2011 at 02:52 PM   #44
bcollura

This class has a lot of biological aspects. I would recommend it if you have a bit of a science background otherwise you might find it difficult to keep up and the prof is very "no nonsense"

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search