MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Sociology 2R03 Jessicaaaa 2nd Year Course Reviews 3 08-22-2012 12:36 PM
Chem 2R03 Eva C 2nd Year Course Reviews 2 06-14-2011 11:25 AM
Trade Anthro 1A03 2D for Anthro 1Z03 2E DFKMcDonough Academics 6 08-10-2010 05:18 PM
Chem 2R03 vs chemP03 Karen_ng03 Academics 5 06-07-2010 11:12 PM
Soc Sci 2P03 vs. Soc Sci 2R03 b_sunshine55 Academics 0 12-29-2009 01:20 AM

Anthro 2R03

Anthro 2R03
Magic, Religion and Witchcraft
Published by lorend
06-15-2008
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
70%70%70%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 75%
Anthro 2R03

I loved a lot of the content for this course...but I wasn't too impressed with some of the other stuff.

I found the prof went on some weird tangets, and yet expected us to know the material they taught. Some of the anthropological theory we were taught was obscure.

There was an essay, a midterm, a final...of which none I was too impressed. The essay was technically a book report. I found this pretty lame...who writes book reports (reports and not reviews...there is actually quite a large difference) in university?

Anna M, kumars8 all say thanks to lorend for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Anthro 2R03!

Old 06-19-2008 at 09:27 PM   #2
jmbauman
Union Market Manager
SRA Member

Liked: 32 Times
I really enjoyed this class. Considering it was a night class, I made it to almost all of the lectures.

I had Dr. Cummins teach this class. He was very casual in his lecturing style, and didn't use powerpoint or slideshows. Occasionally, he'd use the chalkboard, so it closer to the front if he's teaching.

The material was really interesting, and the readings were always relevant to the lecture content. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the midterms. The midterm questions were heavily based on the readings. The questions were very specific, quite different from the broad questions I was used to.

We also had two book reviews to do, which is weird to do when you're in University, I agree. Overall, really good class.

kumars8 says thanks to jmbauman for this post.

alh24 likes this.
Old 05-30-2009 at 06:04 PM   #3
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times
hey can you tell me what book you read?
Old 09-19-2010 at 11:06 AM   #4
Anna M

Liked: 4 Times
So the essays were like book reports? Was it in class or take home?

Old 04-20-2011 at 11:24 PM   #5
lalanisb

Liked: 0 Times
I loved the content of the course, definitely my favourite for the year. It was really interesting & I loved the prof's lecture style.

My only complaint was the midterm, I thought I had done a lot better than I did, and I know a lot of people feel the same way.

I would still recommend the course, especially if you're interested in religious studies, or you're looking for an interesting elective!

Old 07-13-2011 at 03:48 PM   #6
russoa

Would you consider this course to be an easy elective? I've taken Anthro 1A03, and found it to be fairly easy. I wanted something that would not be a heavy workload. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2012 at 09:43 AM   #7
jocelyn200

Dr. Sorge is teaching it this semester and he is an amazing prof!
Old 04-06-2013 at 04:47 PM   #8
tacos

Liked: Liked 2 Times
Don't be fooled though, witchcraft is only taught for a couple weeks.
The majority of this course focuses on anthropologists' views on religion + society.
Prior to the class I assumed I'd be learning about different forms of rituals throughout different cultures, not the case though.
Still an interesting class...just not as interesting as hoped!
Old 06-17-2014 at 07:42 AM   #9
karsyliss

Liked: 5 Times
has anyone taken this course with Clancy?
Old 12-08-2014 at 01:02 PM   #10
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times
unless you have a really good memory (can remember foreign terms, authors of articles, quotes, etc.) don't take this course with Badone. Definitely not a bird course.
Old 05-27-2017 at 12:26 AM   #11
TheHound

Any recent reviews of this course?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search