MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anthropology 3HI3 sinthusized 3rd Year Course Reviews 1 05-04-2014 08:45 AM
Trade Anthro 1A03 2D for Anthro 1Z03 2E DFKMcDonough Academics 6 08-10-2010 05:18 PM
Anthro 3HI3 aa84 Academics 0 04-02-2010 07:36 PM
Anthro 3HI3/Earth Sci 3DD3 canuster Academics 3 12-30-2009 11:12 AM
Trading Anthro 1A03 1D for Anthro 1A03 2E VoyozooT Academics 0 07-06-2009 01:00 PM

Anthro 3HI3

Old 09-12-2010 at 12:24 PM   #1
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

Anthro 3HI3
Anyone taking this course this term? I went over the course outline online and looks like we need to do readings every week and prepare summaries. Since it's a night class and begins on wednesday..are you doing your readings prior to the first class?

Also anyone who has taken the course..can you give some good pointers for a non soc sci student on how to study for the course? I find the course outline pretty interesting so am trying my first anthro course in univ.

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Old 09-12-2010 at 03:17 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You'd study for the course more or less as you would any other: review, know your terms/definitions, perhaps how to apply concepts etc.

I'm not familiar with this course (I don't even know what it's about), but one of my degrees is in anthro, so I can help you if you give more info (and say who the prof is, haha)

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-12-2010 at 03:36 PM   #3
Richa

Karen Slonim is teaching the course. And the course is named as, Anthropology of Health, Healing and Illness.
I haven't had a class yet for the course..so I am curious about it and the prof. So while hunting around for info about the course I came across this year's course outline
http://www.anthropology.mcma ster.c...E%20Slonim.pdf
Find anything familiar to what you have studied about?

Richa Sud

Old 09-12-2010 at 07:22 PM   #4
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

I took the class last term and she has reading assignments you can do (optional) and it takes a bit of weight off your final and midterm I think...well you have the course outline anyway. I would suggest doing the reading assignments which are basically just summarizing a couple of readings based on the list of readings you have to read.

As for tests......they were all essay based. For the midterm she let us have a "cheat sheet" but I'm not sure if she'll do that again this term! The final exam was also essay based. The course has a LOT of essay writing but I find that it doesn't hurt to ask for help from the prof (she is very approachable) and attend all the lectures because she sometimes gives hints for the midterm/final.
Old 09-12-2010 at 09:12 PM   #5
Richa

Thanks Marie. I think it would be interesting to have univ essay course finally. Is there a lot of memorization for the course? And I think there is a help center for getting helps on essay..not sure but I have heard about it somewhere..since it's my first time in univ. with essays could you recommend some places where they could guide me through this?
Also what was the class avg over the midterms and finals? Is it really hard to get marks in this course?

Richa Sud

Old 09-12-2010 at 10:08 PM   #6
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

There isn't a lot of memorization, but you DO have to understand concepts that are discussed in class and mentioned in the readings. The content of the course hasn't changed from last term.

I think one thing that I didn't like about the course was how different the TAs marked the long paper/essay proposal and the essay/long paper itself. :\ You can always talk to one of the TAs or the prof if you need help with the essay. I usually approach a TA or the prof when I have trouble with a paper.

I don't think Dr. Slonim mentioned the averages for the midterm or the final but I'm sure if you do the work you'll get a good mark.

Richa says thanks to marieeeeeee for this post.
Old 09-13-2010 at 07:56 AM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Most averages for Soc Sci and Humanities classes tend to hover around the 65-70% area. 6s and 7s are pretty normative.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-13-2010 at 08:02 AM   #8
Richa

is it possible to get 9 or a 10 in anthro?

Richa Sud

Old 09-13-2010 at 08:40 AM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richa View Post
is it possible to get 9 or a 10 in anthro?
Yup, but it can be difficult.